babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » is Layton in legal limits?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: is Layton in legal limits?
MonkeyIslanderPolical23
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5758

posted 21 June 2004 02:58 AM      Profile for MonkeyIslanderPolical23        Edit/Delete Post
I mentioned this on another thread and haven't gotten an answer, so I thought I'd start a new thread about this. I found a link for this article on yet anther thread: http://www.canada.com/national/features/decisioncanada/story.html?id=5388f34d-3cf2-4c98-af75-5353ccb9a7db

Layton was apparently signing a pledge to protect medicare in a caption in this article. Yet I read a couple weeks back that it is illegal for federal politicians to sign election pledges. Yet now I've scanned the Canada's Elections Act and can find no indication of this rule. I just want to make sure that Layton's pledge was within legal limits. Does any have any information or insights on this?

charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 21 June 2004 05:49 AM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My understanding is that, basically, if it's only morally binding, it should be okay; if it's legally binding, or attempts to claim to be, not so…
From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3145

posted 21 June 2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Tim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe before starting a thread called "Is Layton in legal limits?" you should have more to back that up than "I think I read something somewhere but now I can't find it"

Campaign pledges are a pretty standard part of campaigns. I've never heard any suggestion that they are or should be illegal.

From: Paris of the Prairies | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 21 June 2004 11:31 AM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Elections Act says this:

quote:

550. No candidate shall sign a written document presented by way of demand or claim made on him or her by any person or association of persons, between the issue of the writ and polling day, if the document requires the candidate to follow a course of action that will prevent him or her from exercising freedom of action in Parliament, if elected, or to resign as a member if called on to do so by any person or association of persons.

Layton did nothing wrong. The pledge requires him to do "all he can" to protect the public health care system. It doesn't bind him to a course of action or limit his freedom as an MP. The Canadian Health Coalition's lawyer explains why the pledge is legal here.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Proaxiom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6188

posted 21 June 2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Proaxiom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No different than Dalton McGuinty signing a pledge not to raise taxes.
From: East of the Sun, West of the Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca