babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Duceppe's conditions of support

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Duceppe's conditions of support
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 20 June 2004 08:06 PM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Duceppe has been in the news the last few days saying that he would not support the Conservatives if they did this or that. I decided that it is about time to start listing all of those conditions:
quote:
Earlier in the day, Duceppe said he would not support a Conservative minority government that would abolish the gun registry, a program that is largely supported in Quebec.
CBC

quote:
Gilles Duceppe of the Bloc Québécois, the only major party leader to take part in substantial public activities on Saturday, said his party would bring down a minority Conservative government if it tried to abolish the right of Canadian women to have an abortion.

This is the third major line in the sand Duceppe has drawn, in a week that saw him promise to rally his MPs to defeat the Conservatives unless they adopted the Kyoto Accord on climate change and provided financial help for Quebec's aerospace industries.

"The position of the Bloc is that we can not ignore the rights of women in order to keep our seats," Duceppe told reporters following his campaign in Gatineau, Que., just across the border from Ottawa.

CBC

Can you imagine Harper either implimenting Kyoto or keeping the gun registry. I think that would be a form of political suicide. But I guess it all boils down to whether Harper wants power.

From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 June 2004 09:39 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is such an utter disconnect between the current leadership and most of the candidates in the Bloc and the Harpies that I don't see how any kind of alliance on the "rotten" basis of more regional rights could function. Protection of the environment and especially of the St-Laurent seems to be my Bloc MP's top priority in his campaign literature.

Bizarrely, I've never met or heard of the NDP candidate in my riding. I'll vote for him - my only other left option would be to vote for the Communist and he is rather terrifying-looking - he looks like a far-RIGHT candidate with a perpetual "Thou Shalt Not" scowl. I suspect the NDP isn't making much of an effort against my Bloc MP, local members are devoting their efforts to neighbouring ridings with higher-profile candidates, mostly Outremont and Papineau.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca