babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Christina Lawand on CBC's The National

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Christina Lawand on CBC's The National
Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 20 June 2004 03:20 AM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Has anyone paid close attention to Christina Lawand's reports for the CBC National coming from the Jack Layton tour?

In the past few days all her reports have devoted the latter half of the time slot to sober, serious discussions of the impact on the bravely struggling little NDP of the big, major party race, and the inevitable pressure towards strategic voting in the closing days.

Lawand's reports make it crystal clear that with each passing day, Layton and his entourage are getting more and more worried about slippage to the Liberals. They know that every poll, every news report claiming that Harper's Conservatives are on their way increases the already heavy burden on people who would kind of like to vote NDP if they had their own free choice, but who feel a moral imperative to do whatever's needed in an adult way to try to block the Conservative "barbarians".

Christina is already pointing the way in pretty clear terms, and its still nine days to go. Imagine how explicit her reporrts will be by next weekend? And no wonder the Tories hate culture and the CBC!

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 20 June 2004 03:36 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Christina Lawand has Found Her Story.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 20 June 2004 03:38 AM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who cares what she implies. The polls show that the Conservatives are sinking and the votes they lose are coming to the NDP. People are too disgusted by Liberal corruption and arrogance to go back to them. My contacts tell me that though the NDP always worry about the potentrial for "strategic voting", it just isn't happening! In fact the opposite is happening, Conservativbes are voting NDP in Liberal-NDP races to ensure that more Liberals lose.
King Ralph
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5941

posted 20 June 2004 03:44 AM      Profile for King Ralph   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
Who cares what she implies. The polls show that the Conservatives are sinking and the votes they lose are coming to the NDP. People are too disgusted by Liberal corruption and arrogance to go back to them. My contacts tell me that though the NDP always worry about the potentrial for "strategic voting", it just isn't happening! In fact the opposite is happening, Conservativbes are voting NDP in Liberal-NDP races to ensure that more Liberals lose.

Hahaha good one

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 20 June 2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm going to perform a feat of imagination and envision King Ralph as being worth replying to, because there's a point I want to make anyway. OK, so--
King Ralph, it may seem odd, but consider that the Conservatives have been running a very non-ideological campaign. They're persuading people to vote Conservative *because the Liberals are corrupt*. But everyone knows that as political parties go, the NDP are not corrupt--certainly not like the Liberals. So if Harper successfully convinces people that what matters isn't what side the party is on but whether they're corrupt, and then they find that their riding is largely an NDP vs. Liberal contest, Harper's message could well decide them to go NDP rather than being ruled by left/right considerations which would normally get them to move to the "closer" party. And what the heck, they really will be getting what they vote for, because the NDP is clearly less corrupt than the Conservatives, much less the Liberals.

Meanwhile, if Harper *was* running an ideological campaign he wouldn't have those votes to lose.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 21 June 2004 01:09 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
The polls show that the Conservatives are sinking and the votes they lose are coming to the NDP. People are too disgusted by Liberal corruption and arrogance to go back to them. My contacts tell me that though the NDP always worry about the potentrial for "strategic voting", it just isn't happening!

Well, I guess we don't have the same sources. It's my understanding that in the last week or two the Liberal ads have begun to strike a responsive chord. The public has put aside the sponsorship mess and is focussing on the menace represented by the new Conservative Party. Even NDP riding executives and fundraisers are telling people that the basic need of for a Liberal Govt, not a Conservative one.

I guess what Lawand is hearing right not from the Layton entourage is the very thing you describe, but which you think has been buried this time. Apparently, not so.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 21 June 2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Even NDP riding executives and fundraisers are telling people

To quote our dear leader: bullshit!!!

You can take your Liberal wannabe spy act and shove it. No one here takes anything you say seriously.

Here's the real deal - New Democrats are telling voters across the country that the scariest thing is not a Harper government, but a Parliament filled with nothing but Conservatives and Liberals. :shudders: That's the kind of Parliament that could do real and irreversible damage to Canada.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 21 June 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Mayo:
No one here takes anything you say seriously.

Here's the real deal - New Democrats are telling voters across the country that the scariest thing is not a Harper government, but a Parliament filled with nothing but Conservatives and Liberals. :shudders: That's the kind of Parliament that could do real and irreversible damage to Canada.

No one takes anything I say seriously? Is that why so many reply?

Your argument is the one I would recommend that the NDP make. But many of it's key people aren't onside with that message, they are off doing the old thing, talking about preferring centrist Liberals to the right wing menace of the Conservaitves, etc.

Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 21 June 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think people reply because they're afraid some lurker might take you seriously, not because they consider you worth debating. All of your comments are totally predictable in their mindless partisanship and usually based on nothing but some vauge references to alleged insider knowledge. People would ignore you totally, but they don't want your schtick as Liberal propagandist to go unopposed.

Who in the NDP is talking about the importance of a Liberal government, by the way? That sounds like your usual bullshit to me.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Holy Holy Holy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3711

posted 21 June 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for Holy Holy Holy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jesus Christ.

The only strategic voting I'm seeing is people trying to figure out which party is most likely to beat the Liberals - because they're crooked, on the take, and you can't believe a goddam word they say.

Some reporters have latched onto the "strategic voting" narrative because it's one way to report the NDP campaign - but I'd hardly say that the CBC reporting is rife with it. More importantly, I don't see any indication that anyone around the leader or in the campaign offices is worried about it. Our polling is pretty rock solid - some days up, some days down, but never straying too far from twenty per cent.

It's the Liberals that have shown the most movement - and it's all been downward. No one wants to reward this bunch of crooks with a majority government. They don't deserve it.

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 21 June 2004 06:29 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd like to make a comment about the stated topic of this thread, which is Christina Lawand's coverage of the NDP campaign tour. It's not a surprise that her latest story was negative about NDP support in its tone. I've been watching the CBC's National faithfully throughout the campaign, and every story of Lawand's has shown a distinctly skeptical, if not dismissive, attitude towards the NDP and its leader. Her editorializing in every story is rather obviously slanted in my opinion: she puts a negative spin on whatever she reports, ignoring excited crowds, poll numbers and any evidence that the NDP is resonating with voters.

The latest example of Lawand's slant was the story shown on Sunday night. She mentioned that the NDP was attracting disaffected Liberals and included a brief snippet of an interview with the former Liberal riding president in Oshawa, who left the Liberal party and was now working for the NDP, because (he said) it had abandoned its core values under the influence of Paul Martin. Rather than drawing connections with other Liberals who have acted similarly, she ended her story not by commenting on the obviously packed rally in Toronto (which one could see going on behind her in a large hall) but by speculating once again that the NDP is likely to be squeezed on voting day.

Her report seems biased especially when contrasted with a similar story on CTV which I watched about five minutes later. (I was incidentally fairly surprised to see a fairly positive story about the NDP on CTV -- which has tended to ignore the party in its coverage). The CTV story also reported on the NDP's events on Sunday. This story had minimal editorializing and finished by showing scenes of the same rally, but the closing comment was that the party seems revitalized, that Jack Layton is speaking to packed halls wherever he goes, and that the campaign exhibits a lot of energy, and will continue to do so in the last week when Layton visits 22 cities in a final blitz. Needless to say, for the first time in almost forever, I preferred the CTV story -- it actually seemed more neutral.

Oh, and I also agree that the party which has had the most downward momentum is the Liberal party. In my view, they are the ones likely to be squeezed on voting day.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 21 June 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We may be unfairly blaming Christina Lawand. Does she write the stuff or just read it out for the camera?
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 21 June 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
TV reporters normally write their own copy AFAIK.

I also saw the CBC and CTV reports last night, and felt the CBC was much more negative. It seems like the CBC is deliberately trying to marginalize us in their reporting to avoid being labelled as a "leftie" news organization.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 21 June 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
New Democrats are telling voters across the country that the scariest thing is not a Harper government, but a Parliament filled with nothing but Conservatives and Liberals. :shudders: That's the kind of Parliament that could do real and irreversible damage to Canada.

Look back to 1993 and tell me if things are better than they were. It's a point the conservatives have made stongly in this campaign. The difference being that the NDP and Bloc are the only ones talking about how working together to make concensuses is good for everyone.

From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 21 June 2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGM:
I've been watching the CBC's National faithfully throughout the campaign, and every story of Lawand's has shown a distinctly skeptical, if not dismissive, attitude towards the NDP and its leader. Her editorializing in every story is rather obviously slanted in my opinion: she puts a negative spin on whatever she reports, ...

I don't think we disagree on what Lawand is doing, only on its advisability. I believe we need to keep the Conservatives out, and that means voting Liberal, so I think Lawand's "spin" is just what's needed to save this country from Adolf Harper.

Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 21 June 2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Mayo:
It seems like the CBC is deliberately trying to marginalize us in their reporting to avoid being labelled as a "leftie" news organization.

Well Sara, that's a nice theory. But the real reasons for what CBC is doing are a bit more practical. Did you know that the CBC recieved public funds from the government? What do you suppose might happen to that budget if the Conservatives get in, especially if they are being propped up by the Bloc?

That's the real reason why Lawand and other CBC reporters are doing whatever it takes to herd the soft left vote back from the NDP free range and into the solid Liberal corral.

Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 21 June 2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Even NDP riding executives and fundraisers are telling people that the basic need of for a Liberal Govt, not a Conservative one.

Erik, you are an idiot, and you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about here. Your statements are not only ignorant, but simply ridiculous, and it would be a waste of my time to give constant rebuttles, so I won't. I will however say that you are increasingly becoming the most annoying troll on these boards, and from now on will reply to you only with a simple...

PLONK!

[ 21 June 2004: Message edited by: Jesse Hoffman ]

From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
saskganesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4203

posted 21 June 2004 10:35 PM      Profile for saskganesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i Love this kind of thread. everyone is spinning and noone is dancing.
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 21 June 2004 10:48 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Erik Pool wrote:

quote:

I don't think we disagree on what Lawand is doing, only on its advisability. I believe we need to keep the Conservatives out, and that means voting Liberal, so I think Lawand's "spin" is just what's needed to save this country from Adolf Harper.

Leaving aside the question of whether reporters ought to spin the news to "save this country" from your caricature of Harper, I'd simply point out that a blanket statement that "voting Liberal" is what's needed to keep out Conservatives shows an unfamiliarity with the electoral map. In more than one riding (e.g. Palliser), voting Liberal is a good way to elect a Conservative.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca