babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Suggested Questions for Riding Candidates

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggested Questions for Riding Candidates
lonewolf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 849

posted 18 June 2004 08:30 PM      Profile for lonewolf     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Having seen more than a few debates and attended a lot of all-candidates meetings, I find that there are some simple, yet important, questions voters should be getting answers to.

For example:

1. Do you live in my riding?
If yes, then what is one thing you'd like to NOT change about it?
If no, - .... next candidate...

2. What is your position on what financial remuneration an M.P. should get? Who and how should rates be set?

3. How will you handle an issue where the majority of your constiuents feel one way, yet your party platform, policies or leader goes the other way?

4. What will be your position on the appointment of judges and other high ranking officials be?

5. If you could change our election system, what would you do?

.... just some starter questions.... anyone have others?

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 18 June 2004 10:02 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf:
1. Do you live in my riding?
If yes, then what is one thing you'd like to NOT change about it?
If no, - .... next candidate...

I wouldn't be so quick: As long as they're living together, for instance, one of Jack and Olivia can't live in their own riding. (In this case, it so happens it's Jack.) Of course, Jack represented T-D on city council for ages… but I could name at least two less famous GTA NDP candidates who don't quite live in the riding they're contesting, but have as much or more connection to that riding than to the riding they live in.

From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca