babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Speculation: The Cons Cabinet

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Speculation: The Cons Cabinet
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 17 June 2004 03:15 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the Cons do form the government, who do you think will be put in what departments? Does Solberg, Stronach, or Clement get Finance? Is he nutty enough to dip into the Senate to fill some positions, such as Minister for Quebec? Does he dare make Day a Minister?

I know Martin may be asked to form a government, but its not clear if the NDP will have enough to get them over the hump, and the Bloc's help will come with too steep a price. There is also more to come on Sponsorship, so that scab is going to get picked more than once before it heals. Plus its the Cons first govt so of course they will screw up (esp in the pressure cooker of a minority govt) and a lot of their MPs are loose cannons. I bet Martin gambles that they foul up, the Libs having been punished and wiped clean by the election and the mess to come, so I think *almost* regardless of seat totals, Martin will turn down a government.

Anyway, so what's your call on cabinet positions if the Cons form the government?

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 17 June 2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the NDP should really be pushing Harper to explain if he thinks the same people he appointed in his shadow cabinet will be considered for any real cabinet...

i.e. if Canadians vote for Harper, is Stockwell Day destined to be our Foreign Affairs Minister?

~shudders~

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Pagan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3106

posted 17 June 2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Ronald Pagan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think McKay would get finance. Clement would get health. Stronach would get culture, because of her lack of political experience. Solberg would get industry.
From: Guantanamo Bay | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 17 June 2004 03:20 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How Tory [sic] cabinet might look.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 17 June 2004 03:22 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I think McKay would get finance.

Who says crime doesn't pay?

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 17 June 2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Day in anything will give people pause,
and what about Quebec? Anyone think he would dip into the Senate?

Ah thanks albireo! There are a lot of names there I dont know. Time to start googling. So it looks like they will have at least one MP from Quebec then? This giant tiger magnate Reid is a Quebecer? Reynolds does a good job (too bad, nothing like proccedural errors to make a govt look like amateurs incapable of running the country), and definately want to know more about this Walter Robinson. Sounds dangerous.

I hope the NDP releases a press release about a Con cabbinet, with a Big Smiling face of Day and about 20 point bold saying Our New Foreign Affairs Minister? Will this be the man to follow Axworthy and Graham?

[ 17 June 2004: Message edited by: Tackaberry ]

[ 17 June 2004: Message edited by: Tackaberry ]

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 17 June 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:

Shouldn't that be:
How Tory [sick] cabinet might look?

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mijawara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4590

posted 17 June 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for mijawara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unfortunately for Harper, there's not a lot of options when it comes to Cons in the Senate. John Lynch-Staunton is very old, and Nolin is sort of a one-trick pony. On the bright side for a Con minority, there are currently three vacancies for Quebec in the Red Chamber, which could be filled with qualified appointees. This would test Harper's dedication to an elected Senate, but it would also avoid him having to tap BQ MPs.

A few potential (unelected) Quebec ministers:

• Jean Fortier: running in Ahuntsic, unlikely to win but considered a bright light among Harper's recruits in the province
  • Jacques Menard: past Hydro Quebec chair and CEO of BMO Nesbitt Burns, who was widely touted as a Con leadership challenger
  • Nicole-Roy Arcelin: ex-Mulroney cabmin, currently working for Fortier in Montreal
  • Larry Smith: publisher of The Gazette, former CFL commish, also rumoured to have been interested in running for the party leadership
  • Pierre Bourque: was mayor of Montreal and a candidate for Dumont's rightish ADQ
  • Under the right circumstances, an ambitious PQ minister like Andre Boisclair

[ 17 June 2004: Message edited by: mijawara ]

From: Ottawa Centre | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
rob mcguffin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3623

posted 17 June 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for rob mcguffin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
JESUS CHRIST!!!! Tony Clement as federal health Minister????? Good-bye Medicare!
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 17 June 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Under the right circumstances, an ambitious PQ minister like Andre Boisclair

No way. André Boisclair is 100% pro-Kyoto and 100% pro-gay marriage. There's no way he'd be part of a Harper government. Your other suggestions are quite plausible.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 17 June 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I think McKay would get finance.

Asked by a reporter today whether he would likely be minister of finance in the event of a Harper majority Peter McKay slipped when he said "I'll double-cross that bridge when I get to it."

[ 17 June 2004: Message edited by: flotsom ]

mijawara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4590

posted 17 June 2004 05:35 PM      Profile for mijawara   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
No way. André Boisclair is 100% pro-Kyoto and 100% pro-gay marriage. There's no way he'd be part of a Harper government.

You're right, Sara, but I refuse to be surprised by what some politicians will do to advance their causes/careers. Suppose it's likelier that Dumont would make the jump to Ottawa before Boisclair.

Not so hard to imagine what the rest of Harper's Cabinet will look like, though. Would be surprised if MacKay's not deputy PM (otherwise, Reynolds? or even Stronach?), and Dave Johnson seems to be a shoe-in at finance. White, Strahl, and Day from BC; Prentice, Ablonczy, Kenney, and Solberg from Alberta; Breitkreuz, Pallister, and Toews from Sask./Man. The Atlantic ministers will all be old Tories (Casy, Barnes, Hearn).

Expect to see Clement, Capobianco, Robinson, Reid, and Van Loan in the Ontario seats at a Harper Cabinet table. Also tempted to say he will include at least one Ontario francophone (Alain Lalonde or Pierre Poilievre?), and a token visible minority and/or woman like Lida Preyma. Not the most stellar cast of characters by any means.

From: Ottawa Centre | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cpar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4441

posted 17 June 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Cpar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stockpile Day as Minister of Revisionist History.
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 17 June 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh jeesh this isn't going to be pretty. I can only think of a few that would actually be competent ministers. I mean lets just imagine Stockwell Day as foreign minister oh boy that's going to be unpleasant not to mention embarrassing.

Maybe Strahl and Prentice would make competent qualified ministers. Harper would be PM although that's a given so no I can't really speculate. Who even has any experience amongst this crew. Experience doing a good job I mean.

[ 28 April 2007: Message edited by: Vansterdam Kid ]

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 17 June 2004 05:58 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I fear who would be in a Conservative cabinet. Who would be Justice Minister? Probably the most right wing narrow minded one we have ever had. Could you imagine someone like Vic Towes in that position?
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 17 June 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cpar:
Stockpile Day as Minister of Revisionist History.

Where DO you put Stockwell Day? I can see Minister for Amateur Sports, but that's about it. Most other positions for him would be either laughable or scary.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 17 June 2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh yeah wait Minister Stronach hmmm. Perhaps she could be "Minister of Cliche'd token position for Women's representation".

Then again there is Cheryl Gallant mabye she can be Minister for Multiculturalism and the Status of Women....hahahahha.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 17 June 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Most other positions for him would be either laughable or scary.

You could always combine those, and make him Minister of the Rapture.

In such a portfolio, the position of Deputy Minister would be even more powerful than usual, because the instant the Rapture arrived there'd be nothing left of Stockwell here below but his tasselled loafers. So for the sake of continuity, everyone would ignore Pastor Day in favour of his DM -- who would plainly have to be chosen from among those unlikely to be saved, hence an even cleverer player of civil-service politics than usual.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 17 June 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aric H:
I fear who would be in a Conservative cabinet. Who would be Justice Minister? Probably the most right wing narrow minded one we have ever had. Could you imagine someone like Vic Towes in that position?

Good shot, Aric. I was going to mention this.

And don't forget that despite all his talk about judicial activism, Harper has never given the country any hints as to who his favourites are in terms of filling the two vacancies that now exist on the Supreme Court. Who are his Canadian Robt Borks that he is just itching to appoint? What does Duceppe think, and has even he been told anything?

LukeVanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2735

posted 17 June 2004 06:54 PM      Profile for LukeVanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Minister of Women's Equality - Anne Cools

Minister of Families - Cheryl Gallant

Minister of Canadian Sovergneity - Rahim Jaffer

Foreign Minister - Stockwell Day

Justice Minister - Chuck Cadman

Health Minister - Peter Stock

Finance Minister - Walter Robinson

Treasury Board - Monte Solberg

Aboriginal Affairs - Jim Pankiw

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister - Maurice Vellacott

Public Works Minister- Belinda Stronach

Immigration Minister - Diane Abolnczy

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 17 June 2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Pool:

Good shot, Aric. I was going to mention this.

And don't forget that despite all his talk about judicial activism, Harper has never given the country any hints as to who his favourites are in terms of filling the two vacancies that now exist on the Supreme Court. Who are his Canadian Robt Borks that he is just itching to appoint? What does Duceppe think, and has even he been told anything?

Well as a law student I take double the interest in who is the Justice Minister since it affects the field that I am entering and the people that I work with. I was horrified to learn a few years ago that Vic Towes had been Attorney General of Manitoba before becoming an Alliance MP. How was that allowed to happen? I suspect he is on the list to become the Con Justice Minister. And yes, the legal community is currently very busy talking about the new Supreme Court appointments. It was hoped that a certain Aboriginal judge would be appointed for the first time, one who is left leaning and has supported same sex marriage, but I don't know what is going to happen now.

Erik Pool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6137

posted 17 June 2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Erik Pool     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aric H:

I was horrified to learn a few years ago that Vic Towes had been Attorney General of Manitoba before becoming an Alliance MP. How was that allowed to happen? I suspect he is on the list to become the Con Justice Minister. And yes, the legal community is currently very busy talking about the new Supreme Court appointments. It was hoped that a certain Aboriginal judge would be appointed for the first time, one who is left leaning and has supported same sex marriage,

I think Towes was Gary Filmon's A-G, surely it doesn't go back to the days of Premier Sterling Lyon?

Who is this Aboriginal judge, and what province is she/he from? In fact, which two regions have vacancies right now. Louise Arbour I assume was Quebec, but I cannot recall the other retiring judge.

Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 17 June 2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Minister of Families - Cheryl Gallant

ohpleasegodno.

From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 17 June 2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There's not a lot of talent there from what I've seen. Some of their best performers I've not seen mentioned though include:

1.John Reynolds in B.C
2.Gary Breitkreuz in Saskatchewan

others would include
Vic Toews (sp) in Manitoba. I'm not impressed much with him, but he was the former provincial A.G.

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 18 June 2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Robinson has a lot of public comments to go through to find gems.

here our potential Finance Minister wasnt smart enough to factor inflation, GDP growth, and population gorwth.

He wanted to sue the HEU (did it happen?)

here
His views on Kyoto.

he called for a referendum on Kyoto. If the Cons change Kyoto we can throw this back at them.here
And

"For the Alliance to so willingly go along with this Bill smacks of duplicity," said Walter Robinson of the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation.
My favourite.
Of course, the answer to meet these needs is through public-private partnerships and other private finance initiatives.
In response to the Romanow Report.

here

The Taxpayers federation is a member of fair vote Canada, which has demanded a referendum on PR. There is a ton of stuff here, including this article he wrote with Rebick (!) web page

There's ton more, so far the PR support, Kyoto referendum (when the Cons try and cancel it), and his condemnation of politicians that take pensions will have legs. Hopefully the NDP research team is busy looking up potential cabinet ministers and cross-referencing with departments. Using Day as the segue, the Con cabinet could become a late election issue that should make many feel sick.

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 18 June 2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Pool:

I think Towes was Gary Filmon's A-G, surely it doesn't go back to the days of Premier Sterling Lyon?

Who is this Aboriginal judge, and what province is she/he from? In fact, which two regions have vacancies right now. Louise Arbour I assume was Quebec, but I cannot recall the other retiring judge.

The two judges retiring, Justice Arbour, and Justice Iacobucci, are both Ontario judges actually, (Arbour came from the Ontario Court of Appeal although she is French Canadian yes) so there will be 2 Ontario vacancies on the court. Justice Arbour retired officially last week, and so I guess Justice Iacobucci will do so soon. I will have to look up the name of the Aboriginal judge. He is an Ontario judge on the Superior Court I believe. There is also pressure to make one of the 2 judges a Franco-Ontarian.

Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 18 June 2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:

Alberio, not to pick on your spelling but isn't it spelt "sick" :-)

Edited to add: Okay the joke's on me. I was scrolling from the top and could not resist. I looked farther down after I posted and saw someone else had got there first.... Oh well. oops

[ 18 June 2004: Message edited by: Sean in Ottawa ]

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 18 June 2004 01:25 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sean Sean, doug beat you to that about 20 posts ago.
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 18 June 2004 01:13 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any thoughts on Jason Kenny getting a C position?

/shudders

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 18 June 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Any thoughts on Jason Kenny getting a C position?

Intergovernmental affairs minister responsible for virgins and virginal sightings.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 18 June 2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

I assumed he would be in charge of liasoning with reporters.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca