FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Harper's Coming to Town

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper's Coming to Town
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 16 June 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, it's true. He's coming here tomorrow to speak in support of the local CONservative candidate. Who also my happens to be my boss.

I feel like I should be nervous about speaking (anywhere publicly) about my true feelings when it comes to the Conservatives and what they represent. Everyone at work is excited about the visit. They are all behind our boss 100%. I think my boss is great, but do not support his politics at all.

I'm anxious to see if any demonstrations occur around Harpo when he comes. Where will they approach him? At the airport? At the venue of the rally? I'd love to participate. But that would mean at the least bad feelings at work (and at the worst, dismissal.)

Maybe I could demonstrate, in disguise........

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sheehy-Skeffington
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4849

posted 16 June 2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Sheehy-Skeffington     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Where do we go to protest?
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 17 June 2004 12:30 AM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Didn't you get the latest Liberal Cabinet memo?
From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 17 June 2004 07:46 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I didn't go to protest. If I had, I would have gotten lost in the throngs of well-wishers, waving signs and smiling, trying to get a glimpse of, perhaps even *gasp* shake the hand of His Helmet-Headedness himself.

As I watched the news coverage, I saw people from my community, a community that relies in a large part on the military base here. Our local Conservative candidate, too, has a personal history with the military base here. Harper's promises to put more money into maintaining the base here (and elsewhere in Ontario) seemed to be just what the cheering mob was after.

What I saw was a group of people desperate to be saved. From what? Unemployment. I also saw an arrogant man calmly telling his listeners that he would not be stopped in Northern Ontario. He didn't look *at* them while he was speaking, just kind of tilted his head and gazed off into the distance... what he saw there I shudder to imagine.

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 17 June 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When Harper came here he took over downtown for about half an hour.

The photos look like the whole town was out in support, but they all got off the buses with signs and what not and crowded out everyone else.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca