FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Ed's Back Pt. II

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ed's Back Pt. II
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 16 June 2004 10:32 AM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The other thread is getting kind of long but I thought this article posted to the Canadian Press wire service was worth a mention.

quote:
Ed-to-the-B-Bop-Bent challenges rival to a rap off
By Dan Dugas
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA (CP) - Ed Broadbent challenged his Conservative opponent in Ottawa Centre on Monday to a battle - the hip-hop term for a rap off.

"Yo Mike!," begins the written challenge to Mike Murphy issued under Broadbent's tongue-in-cheek stage name Rapper Ed-to-the-B-Bop-Bent. It followed the Conservative Party of Canada's complaint that it considers Broadbent's rap video on his web site to be the equivalent of free bling bling.

The Ottawa-Centre Conservative riding association complained to Elections Canada that the one-minute spoof on Ed as a rapper is in violation of election law.

It doesn't mind the former NDP leader rapping that "the NDP train is leaving the station and is the social conscience of the nation."

Its complaint is the video was donated by the production company that made it and exceeds the $1,000 limit on campaign contributions.

Broadbent spokesman Rob Sutherland wasn't down with that.

"They don't know how to have fun, these guys," Sutherland said.

"We're trying to have fun in an otherwise negative campaign," he said.

Broadbent appealed for cooler heads to prevail.

"The Conservatives have got to chill," he said in a news release that promised all expenses would be claimed, including those for the video.

The 68-year-old Broadbent is decidedly not rap-like - he doesn't carry a cell phone - and could not provide further comment.

The campaign says the video may be "too hip" for Ottawa Centre Conservatives.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 16 June 2004 11:40 AM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Its complaint is the video was donated by the production company that made it and exceeds the $1,000 limit on campaign contributions.

The video is being used as a campain ad so it falls under the election laws (IMHO). The NDP has to maintain a higher stand of ethical behaviour than the other parties.

I love the vidoe, and yes its very funny, and yes the conservatives should lighten up BUT I would be the first to howl in protest if the conservatives received campaign ads worth more the $1,000.

Alix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2279

posted 16 June 2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Alix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, but they had this on the news (CBC, I think) and were talking to the guys who made (and still own) the video. They said that the fee to license it to the NDP for the website (which is what happened) would have been a few hundred dollars.

And they decided to license it to them for free. So the total "donation" would be well under the $1000 limit.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 16 June 2004 03:32 PM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And that is ok with elections Canada?

So big corporations could donation a few million dollars worth of pro Harper TV ads and get away with it? Wow.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 16 June 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
So big corporations could donation a few million dollars worth of pro Harper TV ads and get away with it? Wow.

I doubt it. But then, of course, this is not a million dollar ad. To me, it looks like it could be produced for about $1.87.

Kinetix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5296

posted 16 June 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Kinetix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Scooter, I hardly think an internet based advertisement created by some community college intern co-op staff at the CBC using spare green screen time for an hour or two is worth anywhere near $400, let alone $1000, or a multimillion dollar donated ad campaign.

Let's be real here.

From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2279

posted 16 June 2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Alix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A) The other people are right about how much it probably took to make it.

B) As I said, the people who made the video still OWN it. They got paid for making it by (what was it, This Hour Has 2 Minutes?). It didn't get shown, and they retained their rights to it. They did not donate their ownership of the footage. What they did do (because it had already been made for another purpose) was license its use to the NDP website. They decided to donate the licensing costs, but those were, in the words of one of the guys who made it, a couple of hundred dollars.

The NDP got a donation of a couple of hundred dollars. That's it.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 16 June 2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Which is unlikely to have put them over the top of campaign spending allowable.

Edited to note: But the publicity from the Conservatives throwing a hissy fit is certainly worth much more. Should Broadbent be declaring the Cons' publicity gift to him in his election expenses?

[ 16 June 2004: Message edited by: Rufus Polson ]

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 June 2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm glad they have it worked out the way they do (donation of licensing rather than transfering ownership of the ad).

But does this mean that anyone can make ads for other parties and then "donate" the licensing fee to them? Would we get upset about, say, Stephen Harper flouting election laws if Magna decided to produce a CPC ad, and then not sell the ad to the Reformatories, but just "license" it to them?

I guess what I'm asking is - if the other side did this, would we complain? I'm thinking we might.

Although I do agree that the production value of the ad is probably pretty cheap. Goes to show you, you don't have to spend a lot of money in order to make a hit.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 17 June 2004 09:27 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How are the campaigns in Ottawa ridings going? Thinking mostly of "old city" ridings such as Ed in Ottawa Centre, Monia in Ottawa South - forget who is standing in Vanier ... I fear some of the protest vote might be going Conservative - is that true?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 17 June 2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ed's kicking. His personal popularity & nostalgia factor is getting him votes from Liberals and Conservatives; he's whoopin' tail.

Don't know how Monia's doing.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 17 June 2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is an all candidates meeting for Ottawa Centre tonight on 211 Bronson Street at 7:30 pm and I am planning on heading down there in a couple hours to attend and see Ed win the debate.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca