babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Harper: Oily CRAP, not Tory.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harper: Oily CRAP, not Tory.
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 16 June 2004 09:56 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Interesting column on significance of calling Harper a Tory, at least in Ontario, and the oil money behind him:

quote:

When the surging party led by Stephen Harper is called “Tory” voters are being misled. The Canadian Conservative Party should be known in the press as the Conservative Reform Alliance Party, or CRAP for short. This would be a fair, balanced, objective way of announcing what awaits us.

Harper has been putting together an Alberta-Ontario alliance. In the West, CRAP appeals to those hard done by living in small towns, and rural areas. As a pollster would say, this is a growing demographic in Ontario.

The upper middle class in the Ontario 905 area code around Toronto is preparing to vote for CRAP, as they did for Mike Harris, the Reform Alliance surrogate in Ontario. His Conservatives never won a seat in the urban core of any city bigger than Peterborough. The hinterland, and the suburbs sent him to Queen's Park.

It was very smart of Harper to get his Reform Alliance followers to agree to take the old Conservative name for themselves. Words have magic properties.

It did not take long for the Ontario papers to start calling them Tories, when in fact Reform was created by Preston Manning to replace the Conservatives in the West. As a Reformer, Stephen Harper defeated one-time Joe Clark Conservative cabinet minister, James Hawke in his own riding. Earlier, Harper had worked as a parliamentary aide to Hawke.

As Stephen Harper takes centre stage in election 2004, his best hope is that nobody in the media looks too closely, not just at his supporting cast, the CRAP candidates, and what they stand for, but at who is behind him — American oil money.

http://tinyurl.com/3gxjy

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 16 June 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post
Josh,

I couldn't agree more. As a life-long Red Tory (well, until Mulroney's Free trade epiphany, at least), my blood boils when I hear Harper's imposters referred to as "tories". They are U.S. style NeoCons of the first, and worst order, and must be recognized as such.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 16 June 2004 10:09 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Look for a “Star Wars” deal on missile “defence” to be signed, and borders to be opened for American ownership of anything that is still Canadian, from broadcasting to banking.

Yup.

Even with a very short term, Harper could do some serious, long-term damage, I fear.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 June 2004 10:09 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I love josh's image - "oily crap". It evokes cleaning a particularly filthy toilet, or better, latrine duty.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 16 June 2004 10:20 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, Harris did win a few 416 seats and I expect Harper to win three: Don Valleys East and West and Etobicoke-Lakeshore.

I expect us to win Toronto-Danforth, Trinity-Spadina, Beaches-East York, Parkdale-High Park, Toronto-Centre, and Davenport.

1999 Ontario Election for Metro Toronto:

http://www.electionprediction.org/1999_ontario/toronto.htm

[ 16 June 2004: Message edited by: NDP Newbie ]

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 16 June 2004 11:30 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm constantly boggled (and offended) that anyone in the GTA (let alone Toronto proper) would vote against themselves for the CPC. Harper has unequivocally stated that he will devastate the Toronto economy.

Export industries like DeHavilland? At the mercy of the markets, no matter how heavily competitors like Brazil subsidize their own industry.

Cultural industries - on their own. No support, no protection from American cultural imperialism.

Couple the decline of publishing, video and film production in Toronto with the standard right-wing rape, pillage and plunder of the hated "liberal-left" centre of the country (a la Mike Harris), and you've got a prescription for disaster. Not a cent will flow to Toronto no matter how badly it suffers, and outside of the GTA that depends on our vibrant economy, no one will care.

Inside of the entire GTA, we must persuade people considering the CPC to give it a sober second thought.

[ 16 June 2004: Message edited by: Lard tunderin' jeesus ]

Mel Skiller
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5448

posted 16 June 2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Mel Skiller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just on the subject of CRAPers being called Tories, I am totally against it.

1. Sir John A. MacDonald was a Tory. The only thing these Crapers have in common with MacDonald is that they'd love to execute a French speaking Metis seperatist.

2. There have been Tories I liked. Besides MacDonald (John or Flora), I liked Diefenbaker quite often. I liked Richard Hatfield. I even applauded Joe Clark a few times in the 1970s. I don't like a single CRAPper.

3. This is a big confession and it might get me in trouble here. I VOTED for a Tory once. I lived in Rosedale riding for a brief time in 1978 and voted for David Crombie. It was a situation where voting Tory was the right thing to do (IMHO). There never has, nor will there ever be, a time when voting CRAP would be the right thing to do.

I like the term Cons. It means anti, as in pro or con. It means swindler as in con man. It is also short for convict which is where some of the CRAPpers will end up if they ever gain power.

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 21 June 2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In support of my previous post here:
quote:
Strong Canadian cultural institutions matter, especially in an increasingly globalized world. If they don't tell Canadian stories, or offer a Canadian perspective on the world, no one will. Other countries understand this, even the United States, where there were calls for action when Japanese investors moved to buy major film studios.

Clearly, many Canadians don't care about the national sovereignty argument. They should look, however, at the economics. When movies, TV, music, radio, museums, theatre, books - and the spinoff jobs - are added up, the sector is worth $26 billion a year. It employs up to 700,000 people.

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 21 June 2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
I love josh's image - "oily crap". It evokes cleaning a particularly filthy toilet, or better, latrine duty.

The CPC, much like Olestra, causes anal leakage? Maybe someone sells pads for that.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MonkeyIslanderPolical23
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5758

posted 21 June 2004 04:06 PM      Profile for MonkeyIslanderPolical23        Edit/Delete Post
I don't have a problem with them being called Tories in Ontario as long as it reminds them of the Harris Tories, who are more similar to the federal party.
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 21 June 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm thinking more along the lines of 'Toronto Haters', guys.
"Tories" or not, (and I too land heavily on the "not" side) the fact is that Harper's agenda, from dismantling the CBC and CRTC through to deregulation of media markets, is absolute poison for the Toronto economy.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca