FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Question

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
Maxx
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4819

posted 08 June 2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Maxx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Paul Martin loses the election, can he still appoint all the remaining Senators and Supreme Court judges until the Speech from the Throne?
From: Don't blame me... I voted Liberal. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
BugBear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3379

posted 09 June 2004 12:14 AM      Profile for BugBear   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If a party other than the Liberals were to get a clear majority in the House and Martin did not tender his resignation there would be a constitutional crisis. But he could carry on, prepare a Throne Speech and have a debate on the Speech from the Throne. He would lose the vote and the GG would ask another person to form the gov't. Repeat again with different seats etc.

If there were no clear majority, Martin could stay on as PM even if the Libs weren't the largest party but was the party most likely to get the support of the House.

He is actually legally PM until defeated in the House. The custom is to resign when one loses an election.

If no one can get the confidence of the House then another election is required.

From: 2nd London Tractor Factory | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maxx
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4819

posted 09 June 2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Maxx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So that's a yes? He will still be able to appoint senators and judges?
From: Don't blame me... I voted Liberal. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 09 June 2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, he certainly can, though it would be highly irregular and I doubt it would be well-received.

[ 09 June 2004: Message edited by: Doug ]

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca