babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » voting in the election outside of Canada

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: voting in the election outside of Canada
shaolin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4270

posted 08 June 2004 09:10 PM      Profile for shaolin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The answer to my question is probably right under my nose, but I can't find it so I figure where better to ask.

I'm getting ready to send off my form for a postal ballot tomorrow, but oh so typical of me, I've left it awfully late. I'm worried about it getting to me and then back to Canada in time to be counted. I was wondering if anyone happens to know if there's any other way than postal vote for me to cast my ballot while out of the country. The last time I was at home was just before advance polls opened for the Ontario provincial election and I signed sheets allowing an NDP volunteer to vote for me. Is it possible to do this if I'm already gone? What about the person who has my power of attorney?

Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 08 June 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Best I can find:

http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=ele&document=send&dir=38e/svr&lang=e&textonly=false

shaolin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4270

posted 08 June 2004 09:29 PM      Profile for shaolin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks...I did see that, I suppose I should just email them. Thought I'd try my luck here though: figured that there's enough people around here who work on campaigns that someone is bound to know the answer to this and get back to me more quickly than Elections Canada!
Adam T
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4631

posted 08 June 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Adam T     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why don't you phone them? I think the site said the calls are toll free.

I'm surprised you can't vote at a consulate or embassy or whatever.

Tim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3145

posted 08 June 2004 11:22 PM      Profile for Tim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think a mail-in ballot is the only way, because you have to apply for the ballot. I assume you know that you can fax the original application, to speed things up. Of course, it doesn't hurt to phone Elections Canada to get advice about this (e.g. courier options, etc.). If you could vote at an embassy, it would probably say so on the site.
From: Paris of the Prairies | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 09 June 2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We cant vote at the embassies. You have to do the mail ballot. I have the application. You have to mail the application back, then they mail you the ballot, then you mail it back. And all this has to be completed by June 22. In their hands in Ottawa, not just post-marked. You can however mail to the embassy instead. I am hoping their mail is quicker and of a higher priority than mine would be, so it might shave enough time off to make this workable.

Im going to be back in Canada on vacation the week of the election, If my father swears I am who I say, can I vote at his polling station? The problem is the address on drivers licence is different. Anyone know?

Tim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3145

posted 09 June 2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Tim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think anyone can vouch for you, you need ID. In terms of the address on your driver's license, presumably that's your permanent address? - that's the riding where you would have to vote. (If you're already on the voters list, even better.) If you're eligible to vote and you're near your riding on E-Day, then you should certainly be able to vote then. If you no longer have a permanent residence in Canada, then I think you vote at your previous residence.

As I mentioned, you can fax your application in too.

quote:
You have to mail the application back, then they mail you the ballot, then you mail it back. And all this has to be completed by June 22. In their hands in Ottawa, not just post-marked.
Not quite (June 22 is the deadline for applications) - but you do have to allow enough time so that your ballot arrives in Ottawa by 6 p.m. on June 28.

From: Paris of the Prairies | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Whitehorse Willie
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4474

posted 09 June 2004 01:21 AM      Profile for Whitehorse Willie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My wife and daughters are voting by special ballot because we are living in Central Illinois. We were on the list of electors and a list of Canadians living abroad that the govenmebt keeps, but we failed to update opur information on time. Now we have to apply for a special ballot.

You can download an applpication from the Elections Canada site. The link supplied above by Adam T will take you there.

On the application you have to provide your current address and an address in Canada (if like me you are temporarily residing outside the country). The Canadian addres can be your last address in Canada, the address of a relative, spouse or common law partner, or an address you will be residing at when you return to Canada.

BTW, people needing to use a special ballot but not residing abroad use the same form, but there are different sets of questions for each circumstance.

You can fax the completed application to a tol free number that is either on the applicatio0n form or given on the website. I talked to a very helpful staff person who answered the questions I had.

You will need to fax a photocopy of a birth certificate or passport with your application. As someone has already said, you have to be registered by 6/22 and the completed ballot has to be returned by 6/28.

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 09 June 2004 02:33 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh ok thanks guys. June 28 makes it a little easier.
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 09 June 2004 09:20 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have a different question:

I will likely be working as a poll clerk this election for my poll (riding associations are submitting names of those who are interested).

Would it be better for me to vote in advance, or would I be fine to vote on the day itself?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 June 2004 09:50 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
NDP Newbie, do try to vote by advanced poll! You could get stuck with a busy poll and might not have a chance to vote. It happened to me once, because I was working at a poll in my riding that was not my residence one. (Not terribly serious as it was a Québec election and there was no progressive party standing in my riding, but I always vote or spoil my ballot on democratic principle). Thanks for reminding me - I'll probably be at a poll in Papineau riding, and live two blocks south of there in Rosemont-Petite-Patrie.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 09 June 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
NDP Newbie, do try to vote by advanced poll! You could get stuck with a busy poll and might not have a chance to vote. It happened to me once, because I was working at a poll in my riding that was not my residence one. (Not terribly serious as it was a Québec election and there was no progressive party standing in my riding, but I always vote or spoil my ballot on democratic principle). Thanks for reminding me - I'll probably be at a poll in Papineau riding, and live two blocks south of there in Rosemont-Petite-Patrie.

All right then. :-)

There was no UFP or Parti Vert candidate?

I guess I can't blame you then. Every post-Levesque PQ leader has been a bit of a prick, and the Liberals haven't been a social democratic party since the days of Jean Lesage. And as for the ADQ...

robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 09 June 2004 10:27 AM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Im going to be back in Canada on vacation the week of the election, If my father swears I am who I say, can I vote at his polling station? The problem is the address on drivers licence is different. Anyone know?

You can't do this, but you can go into any returning office and have a mail ballot issued to you THAT SAME DAY. Then you can mail it to Ottawa from Canada, so it is more likely to arrive on time. I was in Canada the other weekend and did this myself. It doesn't matter what riding you live in, you can do this at any returning office. You have to do it at the returning office in advance, though, you can't do it at the polling station the day of the election.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 June 2004 10:29 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
(In response to NDP Newbie's Quebec vote question) No, this was a good while back. (Remember that, alas, I'm a lot older than you). The UFP hadn't been founded and there was no Green candidate in my riding, nor even a "Marxist-Leninist" I'm a UFP member, and voted UFP in the last election, but there again, worked for a candidate in a neighbouring riding.

I'm one of those hard-line crusty old leftists who would never even contemplate voting for either the PQ or the Libs, although for many years I lived in the riding of the late poet and MNA Gérald Godin, one of the best PQ ministers by far.

[ 09 June 2004: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 09 June 2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks Robbie-Dee.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca