babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Could Western Arctic go NDP?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Could Western Arctic go NDP?
patrickwebber
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3284

posted 08 June 2004 02:11 PM      Profile for patrickwebber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Western Arctic is the only riding in Canada that has no Conservative candidate. I was curious if this means that the riding is now vulnerable to the NDP, since it is the only home for anti-Liberal votes? Any thoughts?
From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 08 June 2004 02:21 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes.

Wally Firth was elected from the Northwest Territories as a New Democrat in 1972 and 1974. (For some reason he didn't run in 1979, and ran but was lost in Western Arctic 1980. He ran as an independent in Western Arctic in 1997; now in Whitehorse, he sought and lost the Yukon federal nomination just this year.)

From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 08 June 2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aren't you jumping the gun, here? Do we know for sure there is no Con in WA?
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 08 June 2004 02:41 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Am on the phone with the Elections Canada returning office in Yellowknife. (Hey, why not? All the returning offices seem to have toll-free numbers. 1 866 564 6481, in this case.)

And they tell me…

Conservative candidate Sean Mandeville has now been confirmed, so the ballot will be Conservative, NDP, Liberal and Green.

JeffWells
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4761

posted 08 June 2004 02:43 PM      Profile for JeffWells     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Found this story:

Full roster of Western Arctic candidates
WebPosted Jun 1 2004 02:26 PM CDT

YELLOWKNIFE - Conservatives in the Northwest Territories now have a candidate for the upcoming federal election.

Four candidates vie to fly N.W.T. colors in Ottawa

But, they had to go a long distance to find him.

The local riding association gave the official nod to Sean Mandeville at a nomination meeting in Yellowknife on Monday.

Twenty-two members of the Conservative Party of Canada were at the meeting.

But, Mandeville was in Halifax.

He gave his presentation via speaker phone.

http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nwt-conservatives01062004

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 08 June 2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh well it was fun speculating while it lasted.
JeffWells
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4761

posted 08 June 2004 03:28 PM      Profile for JeffWells     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But even with a Conservative candidate - especially one who phoned in his acceptance of the nomination from Halifax - I think Western Arctic is a definite maybe. It's gone NDP before, and from what I've heard, the local campaign is going well.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 08 June 2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is an excellent chance that the Conservative will never set foot in the riding for the entire campaign.
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 08 June 2004 04:00 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:
There is an excellent chance that the Conservative will never set foot in the riding for the entire campaign.

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 08 June 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the NDP should focus on taking the Yukon. It has been NDP several times in recent years under Audrey M and Louise H and with Liberal fortunes down and NDP support up from last time they should be able to take it. I saw Pam Boyde on the CBC News last night.

P.S. I like the newspaper excerpt from The Simpsons above poking fun at Mayor Quimby and the fact that he doesn't actually reside in Springfield.

[ 08 June 2004: Message edited by: Aric H ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca