babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Twenty years on...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Twenty years on...
Rod Manchee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 290

posted 07 June 2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Rod Manchee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This seems to be quietly slithering under the collective radar, but people may remember that there was a general election in 1984(!) during which Brian Mulroney, having just ousted Joe Clark as PC leader, made a commitment of sorts, namely a promise to the effect that “if you elect me you won’t recognise Canada in 20 years.”

I forget the exact date, but the is no little irony in the fact that the election we’re in is that 20 years later. All the principals appear to have quit the scene, except of course the annoying Mr Mulroney(who’s passed his spectre to Mr Harper), but the Harper/Martin tag team seem to have adopted the persona like a glove(OK, it doesn’t fit all that well in either case).

In my flightier moments I might have imagined our responsible press peering into the archives and actually testing this prediction, and I’m sure the last example(a newspaper in Arnprior, or was it Churchill) may eventually commission such a piece.

But in the meantime, it’s up to the denizens of Babble. Does anyone recognize Canada? Can the damage be repaired? How do they get the caramel in the Caramilk? So many questions, so little time.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca