babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » What will be the election night highlights?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What will be the election night highlights?
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 11:16 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My most treasured election night highlights stem from the 1997 British election. I was a student in Glasgow, and my friends and I had a bet that we would have a drink every time a Tory lost his seat. They lost over 160 seats. Despite this, my memories are pretty good of that night.
I recall with fondness the eviction of Thatcherite poster-boy and (then) closet case Michael Portillo shockingly thrown out of a supposedly safe Tory seat by an openly gay man (Portillo took it with surprising grace). A seething cabinet minister David Mellor brawling with the mocking neo-fascist Sir James Goldsmith after losing his seat. I recall dozens of sleazy arrogant Conservatives stunned by the verdict of the electorate, from the crook Neil Hamilton in Tatton, buried by a BBC reporter turned politician, to every single Tory in Scotland and Wales being swept aside in the anti-tory torrent.

So what of June 28th, what will be the highlights of our election? Here's some possibilities I look forward to -

Liberal scalps in BC - Hedy Fry, still so sure that the KKK is recruiting in Prince George in a surprise loss to the NDP.
The turncoats buried - Haggard and Chan sink without a trace, Dosanjh lives his worst nightmare, elected to a Liberal party in opposition that cannot reward his treachery
David Anderson booted from Victoria.

Conservative shocks in the west.
Rob Anders suddenly in need of a new job (well, I can dream).
Malcolm Azania pulling off a come-from behind shocker in Strathcona.
The Liberals end up with one seat in Alberta....and it's Athabasca (how's that for irony)

Ken Nicol coming in third in Lethbridge
Chris Axworthy falling short in Saskatoon-Wanuskewin.
Rey Pagtakhan losing in Winnipeg North

All those shocked Liberals in Ontario suddenly qualifying for EI. Dennis Mills heads that list, of course, but Tony Valeri is not far behind, closely followed by Stan Keyes.

Pierre pulls off a shocker in Manicouagan.
Peter McKay gets his just deserts in Central Nova.

Not all of the above may happen, but as a drama-junkie, those are some of the events I'd like to see come election night.

What specific events are you looking forward to on election night? The moment Paul Martin realizes he's lost his majority? The invariable pundit-losing-it moment that always happens at least once on election night? Seats mis-called?

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Screaming Lord Byron ]

Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 07 June 2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[/PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!]

When the CBC announces a Conservative majority government.

[OKAY, YOU CAN HIT ME KNOW.]

Even with all the "Social Issues" crap that is flying around, I have this growing thought (tumor) in the back of my brain that the Conservatives will win more than 154 seats. My predictions:

- Harper will do much better than expected in both debates (like W did in 2000) and not appear too scary to Canadians

- The Liberals, in their growing desparation, will go one step too far in attacking Harper and give the Tories their own version of a "reptilian kitten-eater" comment to use against them

- The Bloc will win everything in Quebec that isn't tied down as the Liberals leak some anglophone and allophone votes to the CPC

- The NDP campaign will continue to spin its wheels and take 20-30 seats (though it will dine on more than a few Liberals in Ontario, and send many more ridings over to the Conservatives)

Those are my thoughts. Please tell me I'm wrong.

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 07 June 2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay. You are wrong.
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 11:46 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For the Cons to win 155 seats but nothing in Quebec and the NDP to take 25 seats, the Liberals would have to fall below 53 seats outside of Quebec. That's some hard math, there.

charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 07 June 2004 11:53 AM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Liberals shut out in an enormous blanket from the outskirts of Toronto and Ottawa to Winnipeg. (Edit: Heck, concievably past Winnipeg.) A continuous ribbon of orange along the Toronto waterfront, including non-priority ridings Etobicoke-Lakeshore, Toronto Centre and Scarborough Southwest. Cabinet ministers wishing they'd stayed in the backbenches, the better to have drawn less voter fire. Tony Clement, in a parallel boat, also losing.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: charlessumner ]

From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
JeffWells
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4761

posted 07 June 2004 12:01 PM      Profile for JeffWells     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When Dolores Crane wins Charlottetown, and the pundits say "Looks like we may be in for a night of surprises."

When Omar Aktouf stuns all in Outremont, and the pundits say "Layton's rise in Quebec after the French debate was obviously real."

When Monia Mazigh wins Ottawa South, and the pundits say "The way Ontario is breaking reminds me of the 1990 provincial election."

When Ralph Goodale is defeated and the pundits say "Another long-thought safe Liberal seat falls to a New Democrat."

When the pundits say "no one anticipated the NDP would do this well" and I scream "Eff you, you bloody ijits - I did!"

Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 07 June 2004 12:07 PM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How about...

NL - 3
PE - 3
NS - 2
NB - 4
ON - 30
MB - 2
SK - 1
AB - 1
BC - 4
NT - 1
NU - 1
Total - 52

And if the wheels fall off the Team Martin bandwagon (and Layton continues to climb in Ontario), that 30 in Ontario could look very optimistic.

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 12:09 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, Jeff. I think there will be several key bellweathers as we move east to west. If Father Des McGrath wins his seat, well, it may be chalked down to personal popularity, but if Peggy Norman wins in, we are in for a record night.
If Susan McAlpine-Gillis wins Dartmouth, we'll hold all our Atlantic seats. If Bill Carr wins Halifax West, we may double our Atlantic representation. If Brison loses his seat, Martin will likely lose his majority.
We've covered Quebec, Outremont and Manicouagan are the ones to watch, I'll get back to Ontario later, work calls.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 07 June 2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Lord Byron:
All those shocked Liberals in Ontario suddenly qualifying for EI.

Silly SLB. Don't you realize that they won't qualify for EI based on the fact that they've being working only part-time hours on behalf of their constituents for so may years?

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:

Silly SLB. Don't you realize that they won't qualify for EI based on the fact that they've being working only part-time hours on behalf of their constituents for so may years?

I fully expect an eleventh hour restructuring of the EI qualification rules.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 07 June 2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Election Night in Central Canada will start the same as it did in 1997. SURPRISE: TV announcers in confusion trying to come with theories about why the NDP won eight new seats. In addition to the four already in Atlantic Canada: Two new seats in NF, one in PEI and five new seats in NS.
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From today's Hill Times

http://tinyurl.com/yv66v

Some 65 Liberal seats across country in deep trouble
Grits need 44% to win and that's just not in cards right now

Toronto--Here's the thing. If the Canadian Alliance and the former Progressive Conservative Party were actually united in the 2000 federal election, the Liberals would have lost 34 seats.

At that time, the Liberals won a majority government with 40 per cent of the popular vote. But this time it's not enough: in order to win the same majority the Liberals need 43 per cent to 44 per cent. And that's not in the cards, at least not right now. As of today, Monday, June 7, there are 22 days left in the campaign.

If you total the combined votes of the Canadian Alliance and the Tories in all provinces, excluding Québec, the Liberals would have lost one seat in Alberta (Anne McLellan), two seats in British Columbia (Stephen Owen and Herb Dhaliwal), one seat in Manitoba (John Harvard's), three in Nova Scotia (Andy Savoy, Andy Scott and Robert Thibault), one seat in Prince Edward Island (Lawrence MacAulay) the one Yukon seat (Larry Bagnell), and 25 in Ontario (see list on page 16). In all these seats, the Liberals had a negative balance varying from the -13,389 of John O'Reilly in Haliburton, Ont., to the -59 of Bonnie Brown in Oakville. Moreover, if you consider all the Liberal candidates who won with less than 4,000 votes to a Conservative or Alliance representative, the total goes up to 65 seats (Sue Barnes in London West won with 3,844 votes more than the PC-Alliance candidates' support combined).

On edit - He means New Brunswick, not Nova Scotia.

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 12:59 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm torn I hate Stephen Harper but I equally despise Paul Martin. They are both slime bags who should just sink away in quicksand never to be seen again.

However, I think it would be really funny if Martin did a Kim Campbell. Although then that would certainly mean a Conservatie majority, and I am hoping for a minority government.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 07 June 2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd like to see both Martin and Harper doing a Kim Campbell.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 07 June 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
From today's Hill Times

http://tinyurl.com/yv66v

I don't buy this business about adding together the 2000 support of the Alliance and the PCs. Many PCs are voting Con this time, but many have gone to the Liberals or even the NDP or Green parties. We have Liberals going NDP, and Liberals going Conservative. People are migrating all over the political map.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: albireo ]

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
I'd like to see both Martin and Harper doing a Kim Campbell.

That would leave us with 229 seats and the Bloc with 75. Hell, I'll throw the Greens five seats so they can outnumber the Cons and Grits combined. NDP 224, BQ 75, Greem 5, CPC 2, Lib 2.
How's that sound?

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 07 June 2004 01:05 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:
I don't buy this business about adding together the 2000 support of the Alliance and the PCs. Many PCs are voting Con this time, but many have gone to the Liberals or even the NDP or Green parties. We have Liberals going NDP, and Liberals going Conservative. People are migrating all over the political map.

Shhh. Don't ruin their narrative.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 01:08 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Many PCs are voting Con this time, but many have gone to the Liberals or even the NDP or Green parties. We have Liberals going NDP, and Liberals going Conservative. People are migrating all over the political map.

Strange days.

I don't believe that PC plus CRAP equals Cons either. I think alot of the red tories would cut off their hands before they vote for Harper.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by albireo:

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: albireo ]

I agree. 2+2 does not equal 4 here.

Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 07 June 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unfortunate headline:

NDP falls short of balance of power in minority parliament.

This would be sad but the numbers are pointing that way right now. We need a 5% bump from the debate to get back into contention for balance of power. The Liberals are now behind the Cons and that means we need more seats than the BQ to get balance of power. they could get between 50 and 55 seats.

Maybe this is why the NDP is attacking the Cons rather than the Libs. If the Libs actually come up in some ridings it would be better for us as long as we get the balance of power.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 07 June 2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When.... okay IF Harper does become the Prime Minister, watching Paul Martin snap and laughing at Ralph Goodale over who now has a "seat at the table". And of course the party on FD and the crying on babble.

Other highlights would include:

• Scott Brison losing to the Conservatives
  • Seeing the Hueglin PC party get < 1000 votes
  • Watching those ridings in BC which have the potential to elect Green members
  • Toronto completely ditching the Liberals, for the NDP in central areas and for the Tories in outlying areas (e.g. Newmarket-Aurora)
  • Defeating both of the Liberals in Alberta
  • Susan Smith burned at the stake
  • Liberal infighting intensifies after stunning loss to the new Conservatives

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anne MacLellan can certainly go. But I don't want to see Alberta be a sea of blue. My hopes are that the NDP will take at least one riding.
MT VIEW
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5402

posted 07 June 2004 02:26 PM      Profile for MT VIEW     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krago:
[/PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!]

When the CBC announces a Conservative majority government.

[OKAY, YOU CAN HIT ME KNOW.]

Even with all the "Social Issues" crap that is flying around, I have this growing thought (tumor) in the back of my brain that the Conservatives will win more than 154 seats. My predictions:

- Harper will do much better than expected in both debates (like W did in 2000) and not appear too scary to Canadians

- The Liberals, in their growing desparation, will go one step too far in attacking Harper and give the Tories their own version of a "reptilian kitten-eater" comment to use against them

I suspect you might be right, assuming that there aren't too many social issues embarassments, or that there aren't any further such embarassments from say today to June 28th.

I don't think a CPC majority is very likely, but a plurality is not out of the question. The basic thing is that no one can figure out why the Hell Paul Martin and the Liberals were in such a hurry to call this election, ... unless they know for a fact that there is big dirt, and dirtier dirt, yet to come.

However, any kind of CPC win will necessarily be accompanied by a stronger NDP that you foresee. If the Liberals implode, some appreciable amount of the material released in that collapse is going to land in the NDP column. Think 1984, but with the Bloc controlling Quebec, not the Conservatives, and with a less dramatic Conservative win in Ontario, which is still very wary of giving Calgary too much power.

From: Maple Ridge, BC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 07 June 2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does anyone think that the balance of power can be obtained by the NDP?

The way I figure it the requirements have to be as follows:

The Liberals would have to get more seats than the Cons or the NDP would have to get more than the BQ. And that is the minimum (even if one of these happened it is still possible that the total would be less than the BQ/Con total).

Neither looks very likely now.

I hope if the BQ gets the balance of power, they will use it constructively.

The media are not focussing on this issue because they are trying to pretend the Cons will get a majority or the Liberals are not as far behind (depending on who they are). The Liberals don't want to admit that they will drop below the Cons and BQ enough that even the NDP can't make the difference. The Cons want a majority and don't want to consider anyhting else. The NDP doesn't like to think that balance of power is slipping away. The BQ probably doesn't want to scare people with the extent of power they likely will end up with.

James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 07 June 2004 03:24 PM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kuba:

Strange days.

I don't believe that PC plus CRAP equals Cons either. I think alot of the red tories would cut off their hands before they vote for Harper.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 07 June 2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:
When.... okay IF Harper does become the Prime Minister, watching Paul Martin snap and laughing at Ralph Goodale over who now has a "seat at the table". And of course the party on FD and the crying on babble.

Personally, as long as he gets a minority and the NDP gains strength, I wouldn't be crying at such an outcome. The strategy would be to leave him in power just long enough to do something stupid and then get all the parties together to bring him down for a new election.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 07 June 2004 05:11 PM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In 2005, I'll down a Smirnoff Ice every time Labour loses a seat to the LibDems (who are to the left of "New Labour", a fairly unnecessary invention given that the Tories were on the ropes to begin with).
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by NDP Newbie:
In 2005, I'll down a Smirnoff Ice every time Labour loses a seat to the LibDems (who are to the left of "New Labour", a fairly unnecessary invention given that the Tories were on the ropes to begin with).

Amen. If I were English, I'd vote LibDem. If I lived in Charlie Kennedy (Lib-Dem leader)'s highland riding, I'd vote for him. He'd make a great PM.

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 07 June 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Election night highlights:

Ed Broadbent winning Ottawa Centre in a landslide because of the amazing work of his volunteers
Olivia Chow winning Trinity-Spadina
Jack Layton winning Toronto-Danforth
The NDP winning a seat in Alberta.
The NDP holding on to Burnaby-Douglas.
The NDP winning a large amount of seats.

clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 07 June 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Watching Paul Martin try and put a brave face on being reduced to a minority or losing.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 05:31 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Watching Paul Martin try and put a brave face on being reduced to a minority or losing.

And the stuttering. Martin stutters bad when he is embarrassed.

Maxx
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4819

posted 07 June 2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Maxx     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure that Paul Martin would love to win a minority at this point.

What an idiot! He should have sensed the hostility of the media before calling an election.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Maxx ]

From: Don't blame me... I voted Liberal. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich L
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4915

posted 07 June 2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Rich L     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krago:
How about...

NL - 3
PE - 3
NS - 2
NB - 4
ON - 30
MB - 2
SK - 1
AB - 1
BC - 4
NT - 1
NU - 1
Total - 52

And if the wheels fall off the Team Martin bandwagon (and Layton continues to climb in Ontario), that 30 in Ontario could look very optimistic.

That's the Liberal worst-case scenario? Looks like Quebeckers were so dissatisfied that they unilaterally separated from Canada!!

In absolute the worst case (I should say the best case, from my point of view) where the bottom falls right out of Lib support, I think they would get a dozen seats in Quebec.

MT VIEW
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5402

posted 07 June 2004 06:01 PM      Profile for MT VIEW     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My favourite highlights would include:

- Martinite Liberals in Ontario (Keyes, MacTeague, Valeri) losing and being interviewed about it,

- in BC, the defeats of all the Liberal "star" candidates, Dosanjh, Emmerson, and especially the ultimate non-star star, Bill Cunningham,

- and again in BC, the defeat in Victoria of Cabinet Minister David Anderson,

- and one more time in BC, the networks announce that all 36 Liberal incumbents and candidates in BC have now been defeated,

- and then the networks announce that all Liberal incumbents and candidates west of the Manitoba/Ontario border have been defeated,

- the networks announce that Jack Layton has now led the NDP to a new high, surpassing the 43 seats won in 1988,

- Paul Martin is re-elected in Lasalle Emmard and has no excuse to not show up in the new Parliament.

From: Maple Ridge, BC | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel Skiller
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5448

posted 07 June 2004 06:29 PM      Profile for Mel Skiller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, don't forget the Davenport surprise. Broadcasters will be asking research when was the last time the Liberals lost Davenport and the research department will have to shrug its shoulders.
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 07 June 2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We should all take a shot for every Liberal cabinet minister defeated and be surprised as we end up puking our guts out or dying.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Doug ]

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 07 June 2004 06:38 PM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mel Skiller:
Hey, don't forget the Davenport surprise. Broadcasters will be asking research when was the last time the Liberals lost Davenport and the research department will have to shrug its shoulders.

More recently than it's lost Russell county near Ottawa, which has gone red since the 1890s.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 07:20 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
We should all take a shot for every Liberal cabinet minister defeated and be surprised as we end up puking our guts out or dying.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Doug ]

But we'd be dying for a good cause, Doug!

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 07 June 2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This one:
Stephen Who? - Conservatives win a minority gov't

Wait for it - Wait for it *ok now* -- around 9 months later :

Conservative gov't falls during budget vote: election to be held March 14th (2005)

during the course of the election campaign the Conservatives are discredited, the Liberals are still realing and on March 14th this headline is seen:

Historic victory - NDP wins Majority Government -

One can hope and who knows since the voters are so 'volatile' .

p.s both these results will result in:

Knives come out for Martin - opponents take out frustration on Martin; gets a vote of non-confidence during Liberal convention

Kevin M
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5870

posted 07 June 2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Kevin M     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The look on Hamilton "Mayor" Larry Dilianni's face when all his Liberal pals loose there voice 'at the table'

Looks like there is going to be some NDP voices there now!!

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Kevin M ]

From: Hamilton, Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 07 June 2004 09:32 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For me, the highlights will be the acceptance speeches of Jack and Olivia, and the concession of defeat by Mills and Harris.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 07 June 2004 09:44 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin M:
The look on Hamilton "Mayor" Larry Dilianni's face when all his Liberal pals loose there voice 'at the table'

Isn't he, along with the Coppsite Liberal councillors, actually supporting DePaulo in East-Stoney Creek?

Bernard W
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5735

posted 07 June 2004 10:58 PM      Profile for Bernard W        Edit/Delete Post
Here's what I think will happen.

The NDP will come out stronger than expected and win 30 seats in Ontario. They'll have a total of 65.

The Liberals will tank everywhere except in Atlantic. They'll end up with 60 seats. Paul Martin will barely hang on his seat as the Bloc wins big in Quebec and takes 70 seats.

The CP will sweep Alberta and much of suburban Ontario but will do poorly elsewhere, and end up with 60 seats.

The biggest surprise of the night will be the Green Party. As millions of voters say they want 'none of the above' and cast a vote for the Greens, they pull up a Bob Rae, take seats in 6 provinces including 20 in BC and a total of 53.

As the leader of the party with the most seats, Gilles Duceppe is now Prime Minister of Canada and has the first stab at forming a government. The Bloc, NDP and Greens form the first genuine left-of-centre coalition in Canada's history.

You read it here first!

From: Algonquin Park, Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sean in Ottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4173

posted 08 June 2004 12:52 AM      Profile for Sean in Ottawa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Since we are imagining things:

"Liberals Routed, but Conservatives only get Minority"

Three months later, the Liberals are licking their wounds and desperate to avoid a new election. A Con backbencher moves no confidence and the government falls in spite of the fact all the terrified Liberals run for the exits before the vote. The headline:

"Conservatives defeat themselves in non-confidence motion(Bloc leader taken to hospital following 3 hour laughing fit)"

three days later:
"David Orchard wins Liberal leadership following sevret deal with Dryden"

Two months after that:
"Its an NDP Minority Government!"

Four days later:
"12 Bloq and lone Green's rep cross floor to create NDP majority"

Following week:
"Orchard breaks secret Dryden deal, offers to join NDP"

Next day:
"Unnamed NDP spokesman tells Orchard to 'get stuffed'"

Next day:
"NDP Heritage minister Sarah Polley confirms reports that the NDP will not have Orchard"

Next day:
"Deputy PM Judy Rebick confirms NDP will name first Aboriginal GG"

Next Day:
"External Affairs Minister Lewis in the company of his father, Stephen lay out Canada's foreign policy agenda"

"Liberals and Conservatives unite but new polls show the united party is less than the sum of its parts"

Okay, I'm done...

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 08 June 2004 09:49 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sean, at what point do we elect Geddy Lee as the first President of the Canadian Republic?
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 08 June 2004 10:01 AM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Sean, at what point do we elect Geddy Lee as the first President of the Canadian Republic?

When the Objectivist Libertarian Party wins?

Short essay: Understanding Ayn Rand through the music of Rush

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 08 June 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlessumner:

When the Objectivist Libertarian Party wins?

Short essay: Understanding Ayn Rand through the music of Rush

Oh man, that is priceless.
"I believe the underlying reason is that most of her works, like The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, are simply too complex and involved for most people. Thankfully, a group of Canadian musicians took the time during the 80's to distill the complexity of Rand's philosophy into music that we can all understand."
ROTFLMFAO! Do these people exist in the real world?

clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 08 June 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ayn Rand's highly influential Objectivism is a deep topic, and her purely philosophical writings on it are quite dense.

Agreed.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 08 June 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by clearview:

Agreed.

LOL! I equally loved the 'if you don't 'get' it, you're an idiot' subtext.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca