babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » New Conservative Strategy: “Shut up or we’ll punch you”.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: New Conservative Strategy: “Shut up or we’ll punch you”.
Fester
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5061

posted 06 June 2004 08:34 PM      Profile for Fester        Edit/Delete Post
Supporter of the Conservative party of Canada (L) throws a punch at Bob Smyth (R) . . . from 'Candaians for Equal Marriage'.

Harper's press secretary slaps Canadian Press photographer

snowstormcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4495

posted 06 June 2004 08:37 PM      Profile for snowstormcanuck        Edit/Delete Post
shoved by a 71 year old war veteran with a hearing aid. A real monster.
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 06 June 2004 08:39 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's the thought that counts.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 06 June 2004 08:52 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Little slow off the start line aren't you?
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 06 June 2004 11:46 PM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I call them le Parti Duplessiste whrn talking with Quebeckers.
Nam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3472

posted 07 June 2004 01:28 AM      Profile for Nam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowstormcanuck:
shoved by a 71 year old war veteran with a hearing aid. A real monster.

So is the monster one of your friends as you know he's a vet and has a hearing aid?

The one throwing the punch doesn't look as frail as the one taking the punch.

From: Calgary-Land of corporate towers | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 07 June 2004 01:36 AM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It doesn't matter what age someone is - if they punch someone and it is not in self defence or to protect someone else it is assault and battery. That is what the law says on the subject. What is all this stuff in the news about the age of the guy? He is basically guilty of assault and could be charged with assault. People have gone too easy on him in my view.
Kanada Dry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4214

posted 07 June 2004 02:01 AM      Profile for Kanada Dry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aric H:
It doesn't matter what age someone is - if they punch someone and it is not in self defence or to protect someone else it is assault and battery. That is what the law says on the subject. What is all this stuff in the news about the age of the guy? He is basically guilty of assault and could be charged with assault. People have gone too easy on him in my view.

I agree.

If you break the law, you should be charged.

It shouldn't matter whether you're a 71 year old retired vet or lets say a British Columbian Member of Parliament.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 07 June 2004 02:22 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So that 71-year-old vet has publicly acknowledged his wrong, taken full responsibility for it, and thrown himself at the mercy of the authorities, has he?

Just asking.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kanada Dry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4214

posted 07 June 2004 02:52 AM      Profile for Kanada Dry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wouldn't matter if the old man did...

...if ya do the crime, you should do the time, non?

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Kanada Dry ]

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 07 June 2004 03:11 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
So then, he hasn't... right?
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowstormcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4495

posted 07 June 2004 08:23 AM      Profile for snowstormcanuck        Edit/Delete Post
Oh, suddenly all of you have become such champions for law and order. I didn't hear much talk of "do the crime do the time" when members of our local terrorist group OCAP were looting Jim Flaherty's or Ernie Eves' constituency offices, stealing furniture and harassing the staff.

"I hate you guys so very, very much" - Eric Cartman.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 June 2004 08:48 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, I don't believe in "do the crime do the time" philosophies. But I'm enjoying watching your hypocrisy being highlighted, in that you'd defend some asshole who punches someone in the face for having a different political view, whereas you'd be a law-and-order type any other time.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 07 June 2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I didn't hear much talk of "do the crime do the time" when members of our local terrorist group OCAP were looting Jim Flaherty's or Ernie Eves' constituency offices, stealing furniture and harassing the staff.
First of all, no one was assaulted in those actions. The discussion is about physical attacks on people - violence. Second, some babblers did criticize the "evictions".

Why don't you just say what you really think?

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 June 2004 10:35 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I saw Smyth interviewed on CBC, and he said he does not hold any ill will towards the old guy that attacked him. He said it was inthe heat of the moment with passions running high and he willnot be pressing charges. . . I have heard nothing in a similar vein from the other side apologizing for the violence.

My problem is that when someone gets violent, why the police remove the victim from the building rather than the criminal?

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 07 June 2004 10:46 AM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The victim is peace and order in a peaceful and orderly meeting. This is Canada - we cannot have debates on election issues until the major media outlets decide to give up some airtime.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Anger boiled over on the Stephen Harper campaign this week when press secretary Carolyn Stewart-Olsen told a Canadian Press photographer to "shut up" and gave him two gentle slaps on the face, saying she was not happy with the pictures he has been taking. Sources say Harper campaign officials are furious with CP photographer Jonathan Hayward over several unflattering photographs he has taken in the past few days, including one that captured the Conservative leader eating a chicken wing.

Well in all fairness to the photographer he doesn't have much to work with.

Harper eating a chicken wing. I find that really funny for some reason.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 07 June 2004 03:05 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I saw the photos in a newspaper...I can't remember which one, and can't find anything with a cursory google. His staff is correct, they were unflattering, but why would they let him eat in front of image media people? it boggles the mind.

And chicken wings no less, do they not realize how dangerous they are:
Man Dies after eating chicken wings during context. Harpers in a contest, is he not?

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: clearview ]

snowstormcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4495

posted 07 June 2004 03:37 PM      Profile for snowstormcanuck        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
No, I don't believe in "do the crime do the time" philosophies.

I know you believe in giving murders, rapists and other violent criminals a big warm hug, telling them it's not thier fault but society's. It's really naive.

quote:
But I'm enjoying watching your hypocrisy being highlighted, in that you'd defend some asshole who punches someone in the face for having a different political view, whereas you'd be a law-and-order type any other time.

A while back in Toronto a group of thugs broke into a sporting shop with the intent of robbing it, at the same time assulting the owner. In the process one of these thugs was killed by the owner who decided to fight back.

Frankly, I don't feel a thing for person who was killed, because he decided not to abide by the law, and suffered the consequences.

This, although to a lesser degree, is like what happened in Guelph. When the individual from EGALE decides to tresspass and provoke Conservative supporters, he knows what he's getting into and I don't feel a thing for him either.

Dr. Mr. Ben
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3265

posted 07 June 2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Dr. Mr. Ben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, I'm pretty frail and weak. Does that mean I can hit anybody I want? What if they say things that I don't like or are in places where I don't want them to be?
From: Mechaslovakia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 07 June 2004 03:44 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Re: Stephen Harper eating chicken wings...

I once ordered a bucket of Conservative Party chicken. Wasn't very appetizing though. It's all right wings and assholes.

From: Workin' 9 to 2 in the 902. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
snowstormcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4495

posted 07 June 2004 03:47 PM      Profile for snowstormcanuck        Edit/Delete Post
Yes Ben. If they're assholes standing two feet away from you, yelling and shouting (you have a hearing aid, remember) while you've come to a rally to hear your leader speak.

I think, Ben, you have the right to be able listen and enjoy yourself.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 07 June 2004 03:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Still better than that bucket of tarred-and-feathered Ottawa-South Candidate that I got from my bucket of NDP Chicken.
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 07 June 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I know you believe in giving murders, rapists and other violent criminals a big warm hug, telling them it's not thier fault but society's. It's really naive.

I have felt so much disgust about the carrying out of an election as I do with this one. I find resorts to physical violence inexcusable, and I hope the crown sees fit to file charges.

I'm equally disgusted with comments like the one above. Yes, I've made a few myself and am ashamed that I've sunk to such a level.

canuck, this remark does nothing to further the cause of conservatism (which appears to be your political ideology of interest). You know, I spent some time reading a couple of books with my five-year-old on bullying this weekend, as he was on the receiving end of some at school this week. I'm pretty sure that my son would have little trouble identifying your language as bullying -- just like the guy who resorted to physical violence.

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: paxamillion ]

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liberaler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5674

posted 07 June 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Liberaler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That just tells you what kind of government the Conservatives will be if they win the election. You don't follow their beliefs they attack you. Do you think people want that kind of government? I sure the hell don't.
From: Toronto Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 07 June 2004 03:57 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Liberaler:
That just tells you what kind of government the Conservatives will be if they win the election. You don't follow their beliefs they attack you. Do you think people want that kind of government? I sure the hell don't.

Cheap shots are pandemic in this election, Lib. I don't thinki it would be hard to populate a "Wall of Shame" with contributes from folks at many different places on the political spectrum.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 07 June 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You don't follow their beliefs they attack you.

Sounds like the Liberals on evangelical Christians or the NDP on Muslim candidates.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 07 June 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:

Sounds like the Liberals on evangelical Christians or the NDP on Muslim candidates.

That's right Heywood, we're picking on Monia because she's a Muslim. Now shut up or I'll punch you.

snowstormcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4495

posted 07 June 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for snowstormcanuck        Edit/Delete Post
Who wouldn't attack someone who didn't believe in "do the crime, do the time". What else is one to infer, paxamillion?

"Michelle" believes rapists and murderers shouldn't serve jail time (or jail time proportional to the crime they committed).

I thought this was a universal belief of all people who respect democracy, not a lefty/righty issue.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 June 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Disagreements and opposing opinions are a natural part of politics in a democracy. . . TAKING SWINGS AT OTHERS IS NOT!!

Are neo-cons that stupid that they can't tell the difference between calling an opinion or philosophy wrong (even stupid,) and resorting to violence??

I am much more disgusted with the attempts to justify the violence that the actualy attack itself!

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 07 June 2004 04:13 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Who wouldn't attack someone who didn't believe in "do the crime, do the time". What else is one to infer, paxamillion?

Since you asked, and looking at the way you have read far more into Michelle's comments than she said, I'd infer that you could use some counselling. "Attacking" is a choice, as much as trying to understand the fullness of what someone means before putting forward a remark.

clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 07 June 2004 04:18 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
Are neo-cons that stupid that they can't tell the difference between calling an opinion or philosophy wrong (even stupid,) and resorting to violence??

The line becomes a little blurry when everytime our political heroes to the south say that such and such a country is doing something wrong the justification for collective punishment of the poor saps who happen to have been born in said country have their public infrastructure bombed and then expropriated.

Such violent solutions to those we disagree with are in perfect alignment with punching someone at a political rally, or justifying why such violence is acceptable, or not really doing serious harm (weak old man/precision guided weapons).

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have given this some thought - and in defense of the photographer it isn't really his fault --- it would be difficult to take flattering pictures of Harper - his head is too big.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 07 June 2004 05:15 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Personally I think violence and intimidation have no place in politics, but I do think it's funny that:

- if a conservative punches a heckler, that's bad.

- if a Palestinian punches an old Jewish guy at a march, it's unfortunate but "understandable", since he's angry, and besides it's not like the Left can control everybody, right?

- if a conservative press secretary slaps a shutterbug, that's bad.

- if a group of women shove an old security guard while attempting to "squat" the office of a minister, it's an unfortunate side effect of something that minister did.

- "taking a swing" at a politician or supporter is bad.

- "taking a swing" at a conservative politician, if you have a pie in your hand, is good.

... etc. We've had plenty of threads like this, wherein someone from some "side" hits, kicks or shoves someone, and predictably the opponents of that "side" decry the violence, while the supporters minimize it. The minute some conservative gets his face tuned while heckling Jack and Olivia will be the minute this thread turns around 189o and begins to focus on frustration and how it quite "understandably leads people to make bad choices".

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 07 June 2004 05:18 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is funny Magoo, I hope I don't make you laugh in the future.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 07 June 2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, you're doing OK in the present.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 June 2004 10:25 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
The minute some conservative gets his face tuned while heckling Jack and Olivia will be the minute this thread turns around 189o and begins to focus on frustration and how it quite "understandably leads people to make bad choices".

The actions in the heat of the moment taken out of frustration is quite understandable . . . making calm reasoned excuses justifying violence well after the fact is not . . . on either side.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 07 June 2004 11:03 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:

The actions in the heat of the moment taken out of frustration is quite understandable . . . making calm reasoned excuses justifying violence well after the fact is not . . . on either side.

"Snow Job" Canuck's blatherings were "calm reasoned excuses" ???

They sounded more like self-serving claptrap to me...!!!

And Heywood, your inference that our problem with the Ottawa South Centre candidate is that she is a Muslim (rather than the fact that she won't support SSM) is disingenuous and deliberately obtuse. I don't think you're really on as low an intellectual level as "Snow Job" Canuck. I expect better than that of you...

[ 07 June 2004: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 08 June 2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I know you [Michelle] believe in giving murders, rapists and other violent criminals a big warm hug, telling them it's not thier [sic] fault but society's. It's really naive.
quote:
"Michelle" believes rapists and murderers shouldn't serve jail time (or jail time proportional to the crime they committed).
Even if you can't avoid being a bile-spewing asshole, perhaps you should refrain from putting words in other people's mouths.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 08 June 2004 12:38 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Better words than fists, I guess.
From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 08 June 2004 12:04 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Some of what Magoo said is true. I sure saw it with Canuck fans with the Bertuzzi mess. The same fans who thought McSorley should have been hung were like well, Bertuzzi apologized, he was sincere. Let it go.
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 08 June 2004 01:17 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The same fans who thought McSorley should have been hung were like well, Bertuzzi apologized, he was sincere. Let it go.

I noticed the same thing. And it puzzled and disturbed me. McSorely reacted on the spot and I can be sure that Brashear is capable of causing intense frustration and angst, it's his job after all. It's easy to understand flying off the handle in the heat of the moment, it doesn't change that the behavior is bad or make it acceptable, it's just understandable.

Bertuzzi on the other hand acted out well after the event that inpired his "retribution", his team talked about it revenge and how the kid would be making it to the play offs. And the fans ate it up. Revenge doesn't get the benefit of the heat of the moment lose of control. It's planned. Cold and calculated.

The same type of people that likely laughed their asses off at Svends apology probably lapped Bertuzzi's "I didn't mean to hurt him when I punched him in the back of the head" apology. And are waiting to thow the book at Svend but are pissed the Bert's not on Team Canada.

I just don't get people. Nor do I understand how some can be so smugly certain and disdainful of the otherside's hypocrisy when their side engages in it regularly. Seems like the pot and the kettle and a big waste of time.

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 08 June 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:

"Snow Job" Canuck's blatherings were "calm reasoned excuses" ???

They sounded more like self-serving claptrap to me...!!!

Of course, you're right. Snow clod is a complete . . . Heywood I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he knows better and just let his partisan side temporarily get the better of him, and thus his attempt at justifying violence based on the age of the attacker, or "the other side does it" excuse.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 08 June 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Either you are actually addressing Hephaestion or you just turned my handle into an insult.
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 08 June 2004 01:37 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh my God . . . I'm sorry . . . I'm so embrassed, I feel like complete "Heywood"!!
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 08 June 2004 01:40 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suppose I did deserve that apology but why do I think it was directed to Hephaestion?

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 08 June 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
- "taking a swing" at a conservative politician, if you have a pie in your hand, is good.

Well, that one *is* good. Politicians should get pied. And I'm on record also supporting it in an instance where a lefty politician got pied.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 08 June 2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Think Ipperwash.

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 June 2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Some of what Magoo said is true.

One of the old threads that prompted my post on this one is Poor widdle CA kiddies get picked on.... I think the title alone goes well out of its way to belittle the victims of the violence. My guess is that the belittling and mocking is "OK" since it's only a bunch of "right wing" kids? Here's a quote from there that I think is relevant to this thread:

quote:
Now come on. If a CA activist were to rough up a lefty, we'd be all over it. Let's show some consistency and separate ourselves from these goons, if this did indeed happen.

Ok, it wasn't kids, it was adults, but other than that... spot on.

[ 08 June 2004: Message edited by: Mr. Magoo ]

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 08 June 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I see your observation, but I think it resounds in the big world beyond babble.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 June 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How do you mean? As in "but everyone's like that"? If so, I suppose it's true.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 08 June 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
How do you mean? As in "but everyone's like that"? If so, I suppose it's true.

No not everyone - I'm more of an optimist than that about people.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 June 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What I meant was "are you saying that most/some/many people are partisan in assessing something like this?" Or if not, what did you mean by "resounds in the big world"?
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 08 June 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I see your observation, AND I think it RINGS TRUE in the big world beyond babble.

Some people.... Myself included have been guilty. Case in point was Svend and the ring. I admire Svend greatly and it took me a few days to get over the shock. In that time I defended Svend to the death and dowplayed the fact that he stole something. Don't ask me how I feel now -- I'm still numb and haven't yet started to sort out my feelings - except to say he deserves his privacy right now.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 June 2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah, fair enough. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Svend if he hadn't fessed up. That was what clinched it for me, and kept me from having to wonder what I'd have said if, say, Stephen Harper took the ring ('cuz there's no way he'd fess up! ).

Anyway, I certainly don't disagree with you; someone throwing a rock through the window of your crummy neighbour's house is just juvenile hijinx, while someone throwing a rock through your own is Domestic Terrorism. At any rate though, recognizing this tends to take a bit of the bluster out of threads like this, or should. Not much point in speaking in lofty, general terms when you know darn well they're as moldable as silly putty and will be bent and re-bent depending on the situation.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca