babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Cross Country Checkup in Edmonton

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Cross Country Checkup in Edmonton
Gearhead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5182

posted 04 June 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Gearhead        Edit/Delete Post
Listen in to Cross Country Checkup on Sunday June 6 (Check for local listing). It will feature the Edmonton-Strathcona riding which can be a breakout for the NDP with rising star Malcolm Azania.

CPC Rahim Jaffer is faltering and Liberal Debby Carlson seems to contadict her "Team" in recent interviews (methinks something foul is afoot here, like trying to woo the left).

Listen in, call up, and visit Malcolm Azania's Website for info and to offer support for this new voice for Canada.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 June 2004 02:43 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What did Carlson say?
Gearhead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5182

posted 04 June 2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Gearhead        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Lord Byron:
What did Carlson say?

The entire interview will be posted by Monday on CJSR as will interviews with the other candidates.

To summarize, she is:

• Against Canadian Militarism - this despite the fact that the "Team Martin" Minister of Defence, David Pratt was the leading proponent for Canada's involvement in the war with Iraq.
  • Against Missile Defence - to quote: "We can't persue that kind of an agenda. I really don't think that's where we need to go."
  • Against expansion of Cheviot Mine - she wants environmental studies, to stop the expansion of what will soon be an open pit mine the size of Edmonton.
  • Universal Healthcare - As she said "That's the system that I support: universal healthcare without any gray areas is where we need to be." This is at odds with Pierre Pettigrew's slip of the tongue.

She is prepared to "Stand up to caucus" to express the views of her constituents. When pressed by the interviewers on how some of her positions were at odds with the rest of the "Team," she stated that Martin promised to allow more free votes.

This just seems to be an attempt to get left leaning individuals who are considering a "stategic vote" to consider her, IMHO.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 June 2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yep. Debby's scared that she'll end up in third place. Which she will.
BleedingHeart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3292

posted 04 June 2004 03:56 PM      Profile for BleedingHeart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While driving to work today I see Azania signs farther south than I remember seeing NDP signs in the last federal election.

By the way Rahim has his coffee shop up for sale.

From: Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gearhead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5182

posted 04 June 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Gearhead        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by BleedingHeart:

I wonder why. He will soon need another job.

Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 04 June 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wouldn't mind if the NDP could take a riding in Alberta like they did in 1988, but isn't it a bit of a stretch at this point? I thought Rahim still had a lot of popularity there and a bigger national profile. What are the NDP numbers in Alberta and Edmonton right now? I like what I see of Malcom Azania.
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 June 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aric H:
I wouldn't mind if the NDP could take a riding in Alberta like they did in 1988, but isn't it a bit of a stretch at this point? I thought Rahim still had a lot of popularity there and a bigger national profile. What are the NDP numbers in Alberta and Edmonton right now? I like what I see of Malcom Azania.

Malcolm's a long-shot, but not as long as you might think. I have my fingers crossed for him.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 07 June 2004 12:06 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was thinking about phoning in and saying:

I have a question for Rahim Jaffer, but before I ask it, could Rex or somebody else who is there in Edmonton please give me some assurance that this is really him we're listening to?

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3145

posted 07 June 2004 12:09 AM      Profile for Tim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I only managed to hear the first hour. Malcolm Azania was very impressive. As was his cheering section
From: Paris of the Prairies | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 07 June 2004 12:36 AM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I lived in Strathcona 2 years ago and as far as I knew, at that point in time, Jaffer no longer owned that coffee shop.

beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 07 June 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He, or someone pretending to be Jaffer, did own the coffee shop at that time. One of his many duties was to reopen the coffee shop as a Timothy's Franchise when they switched from Grabba Java. Which unfortunately conflicted with a scheduled radio interview.

He did not, however, own it when he ran in 1997 and claimed to be a small business owner. His parents did. Jaffer jr. was only an employee. Leading one to another leap of Jaffer logic that possessions and professions of your parents are, in fact, yours as well.

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 June 2004 02:18 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
He, or someone pretending to be Jaffer, did own the coffee shop at that time.

Now I can't stop giggling. Everytime I think of Jaffer I think of RIck Mercer rapping the "real Rahem" to the tune of the real slim shady.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca