babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » election 2006   » Does Paul Martin support the War in Iraq?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Paul Martin support the War in Iraq?
Peace2004
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5420

posted 04 June 2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Peace2004   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would really appreciate any info on what Paul Martin has said regarding the US and the war in Iraq. I've been told he supports the war. If this is true I really hope that we Canadians do not allow him to get elected. This would make us seem just as shallow and hypocritical as Bush. I feel that the majority of Canadians oppose the War and I hope this is reflected in the upcoming elections. Peace can not be achieved through war.
From: NewBrunswick, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 04 June 2004 12:42 PM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post
He is on record as strongly endorsing the Cretien decision that Canada not participate.

I am not aware of him having expressed any opinion as to the merits of the U.S. action per se.

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 04 June 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Martin, as PM, did say he thought it was the right decision for Canada to stay out of Iraq. However, in the very next breath he said that

Canada would now be willing to work with the US to insure a peaceful transition to democracy in Iraq. I read him as saying that Canada might send peacekeepers.

Also, I don't give him much credit for his comment on the war as PM. By that time, it was a no-brainer. Even Harper knows that much, as he's frantically trying to back away from his pro-war comments made at the time of the US invasion.

Martin's instincts are not sufficiently critical of big corporate enterprise for him to be relied upon when the powers that be propose a Plan.

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 04 June 2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Martin was very quiet about the issue a year ago when it was more controversial and the conventional wisdom was that if he had been PM, Canada would have gone to war with the US. Martin is much more pro-American than was Chretien.
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 04 June 2004 01:09 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Geeze. I hope that War in Iraq is not an election issue here. There are more important things to debate!
Liberaler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5674

posted 04 June 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Liberaler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Paul Martin does not support the war in Iraq He said so himself. He is only dedicated to the troops in Afghanistan.
From: Toronto Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 04 June 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ummm. I think he would say that he was dedicated to ALL Canadian Troops, regardless of where they are deployed or garrisoned.
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 04 June 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
Martin was very quiet about the issue a year ago when it was more controversial and the conventional wisdom was that if he had been PM, Canada would have gone to war with the US. Martin is much more pro-American than was Chretien.

I think the same thing would have happened- Martin would have waffled a bit until he could gauge public opinion, then back down in the face og angry anti-war protestors. Now whether that is right or wrong is debatable, but the fact is that either way, it shows that the Chretien/Martin Liberals have no spine. If they did, they would have come out either strongly in support or strongly opposed to the invasion of Iraq.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peace2004
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5420

posted 04 June 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Peace2004   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by wei-chi:
Geeze. I hope that War in Iraq is not an election issue here. There are more important things to debate!

I can't think of anything that would be worse than us supporting such an unjustified, immoral, superficial war. It would have large scale negative consequences for Canada and we would be hated by the rest of the world like the US is. No Thanks!

From: NewBrunswick, Canada | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 04 June 2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by wei-chi:
Ummm. I think he would say that he was dedicated to ALL Canadian Troops, regardless of where they are deployed or garrisoned.

Maybe he's a DJ on the side.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 04 June 2004 01:37 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peace2004:

I can't think of anything that would be worse than us supporting such an unjustified, immoral, superficial war. It would have large scale negative consequences for Canada and we would be hated by the rest of the world like the US is. No Thanks!

Now, now, don't be like that. The election is not the time to discuss important issues

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4143

posted 04 June 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's right. It's the time to beat up people who dare to raise them and then laugh about it.
From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 04 June 2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let's not forget, the Iraq war will not necessarily turn out to have been an isolated case. A politician's response to the last war is a potential guide to their response to the *next* war. On which we get a range of possible responses:

Harper: Would be in if the US wanted. Would have the "guts" to go against the citizens' wishes on it.

Martin: Would want in, but might be intimidated by the voters into staying out if they agitated hard enough.

Chretien, for historical contrast: Would sorta want out, and be if anything grateful if enough voters pushed him on it that he could feel insulated against any US backlash and stay out. Lacking that push, would probably cave to the US grudgingly.

Layton: Would stay out of any illegal war; would only get involved in peacekeeping if that's what it really was. Would have the guts not to cave to US intimidation.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 04 June 2004 05:25 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Harper's trying to get out the military vote. His campaign promise has been more money for troops in his literature stuffed in military PO boxes.

Martin said he's going to increase military spending.

You do the math.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
speechpoet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3693

posted 04 June 2004 05:38 PM      Profile for speechpoet     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He kept his head down and his mouth closed while Canadians wrestled with a divisive, critical issue. When he finally endorsed the government's position, it was an unbelievably lukewarm statement that the government should speak with one voice, so he backed the Prime Minister.

Meanwhile, from our Comments-We-Wish-We-Could-Amend Dept., Martin told a high school class "I don't think there is any doubt, if there ever was... that he does have weapons of mass destruction. Biological weapons that they discovered were very clear evidence of not only the fact that he had them, but that he had lied and that he is continuing to lie." (Calgary Herald, March 7, 2003)

Just gotta make it until Monday, when nominations close. Three frigging days, and some jackass uses a land line to phone home and talk to his kids. Candidate search committees were swarming over the safe house inside of ten minutes. I got out by the skin of my teeth — had to crawl through the backyard septic field to do it, so I'm not a happy camper right now — but they got Suzuki, Lewis and Keifer Sutherland. They're strong; I hope they can hold out. Me, I know I'd break like a dry twig. So nothing but night-time travel for me. This may be my last message for a while, cos I think they can track the Blackberry. I'm going to drop it down a lightning-blasted hollow tree — it may buy me some time.

[ 04 June 2004: Message edited by: speechpoet ]

From: Sunny Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 04 June 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ha, speechpoet!

From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 04 June 2004 05:46 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Biological weapons

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 04 June 2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes. Fists.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 04 June 2004 06:01 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.teammartinsaid.ca./English/iraq.htm
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 07 June 2004 12:11 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh course, by the Reformatories' standards, these are not really arguments for participating in the war, but only for giving "moral support".
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca