babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » Time to focus on poverty, says Stephen Lewis

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Time to focus on poverty, says Stephen Lewis
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 December 2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
With a federal election underway, Stephen Lewis, United Nations Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa has called on Canadians and all political leaders to support the Make Poverty History targets to help end global poverty. Make Poverty History is calling for a national leaders' debate on poverty issues during the election campaign.

Canadian Council for International Cooperation

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nuclearfreezone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9059

posted 05 December 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for nuclearfreezone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As long as the debate is followed up by some real changes!

Jean Chretien vowed to end child poverty in Canada by the year 2000, yet we have more now than ever before.

There have been numerous debates over the years, discussions, action plans, etc., ad nauseum, yet nothing's changed!

I totally admire Mr. Lewis. I heard his talks on the CBC regarding Africa and AIDS. He's passionate, he's sincere.

Can we get our politicians to be as sincere and as passionate about ending poverty? I have serious doubts.

Theoutsider
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11270

posted 06 December 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Theoutsider     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I saw Lewis present a speach on poverty at my university back in september. He is without a doubt the most emotional speaker i have ever seen. By the end of his lecture half the hall was in tears. If there was ever a person who could make present this topic to the masses and win them over, Stephen Lewis has that power. Hopefully he brings us closer to closure with the issue of poverty. Also, the make-poverty-history campaign has made quite an impact on campus. I wasn't aware he was leading it, though it makes sense.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca