babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » PEN centres join anti-impunity coalition

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: PEN centres join anti-impunity coalition
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 May 2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
PEN Canada and the PEN American Centre are throwing their support behind a Mexican campaign to stop the killing of journalists in the country, dubbed one of the most dangerous in the Americas for media. "Ni Uno Más" ("Not One More") is a coalition of non-governmental organizations that seeks to pressure Mexican authorities into bringing the killers of journalists to justice.

International Freedom of Expression Exchange

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 May 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A very important initiative.

In Mexico, it's covering drug trafficking that is getting journalists killed. But I suppose the issue is that Mexican authorities don't seem all that competent, or even interested, in investigating these cases.

I should think that things are similar, even worse, in Colombia, where drugs and politics become inextricable. But PEN may have more leverage in Mexico in the short term.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca