babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » PSAC condemns double standard on raises

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: PSAC condemns double standard on raises
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 October 2004 07:42 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The union representing tens of thousands of striking public sector workers is heckling proposals to hike salaries for federal judges and MPs. The Judicial Compensation and Benefits Commission is recommending a 10 per cent boost this year. Meanwhile, striking PSAC workers are being pressed to accept raises less than a quarter as generous.

Public Service Alliance of Canada

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 03 October 2004 11:26 AM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Martin has stated that they will not get the big fat raise. But what I think is needed is a better method of ensuring that civil servants and politicians are remunerated fairly.

In Ontario the MP salary is 85K in Ottawa its 145K. How is that fair?

In Collections where I work we deal with people who make 5-10 times as much as we do.

I remember sitting down with a client, a trustee, their solicitor and making a compelling argumment that had them all stumped for a second or two.

Then the trustee piped up something like,"Yes but we are making a $150/hour, you can't be right!"

This attitude of entitlement is what civil servants face daily. Sometimes the party is justified but in my area they are often relying on the fact that we are poorly remunerated to avoid their obligations.

When Martin cancels the salary increase for MPs. He is basically saying they are not needed. Dos this not fly in the face of his self proclaimed opposition to the democratic deficit?

I mean he whupped the fiscal deficit. (He thinks anyway. Some may disagree about this.) Now he has the cash to whup the democratic deficit. But does he put the money where his mouth is? Nope - he just flies a flag of convenience and ducks the issue.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca