babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » Another Canadian languishes in Syria

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Canadian languishes in Syria
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 November 2003 12:25 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know we've had a few threads on Maher Arar. But this guy, according to Arar, has fared even worse, and it's time to get him the hell HOME.

quote:
With Maher Arar finally free, questions are spinning about his earlier deportation to Syria and his treatment there. Meanwhile, another Canadian/Syrian national remains jailed in Syria — since May 2002, without charge — on similar suspicions of “terrorist connections.” He has been denied access to lawyers, relatives or the Canadian consulate. Now Amnesty International is gravely concerned that 'Abdallah al-Malki has been subjected to prolonged torture and ill-treatment.

Amnesty International Canada

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 09 November 2003 01:04 AM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll write some letters tomorrow, copy them and send them out. I just wish Amnesty would post the web addresses of those Canadian officials and others with email addresses. It makes it more work for people who want to help out. Not that Amnesty isn't doing a great job, they are. Cudos for the release of Mahar Arar!!!

I think our major job as activists is to get the government to step in before we have to raise a big stink. If our people are in trouble, we need help now, not after dealing with piles of beaurocracy, phone calls, letters and petitions. We need more forceful and immediate action on cases like this, something must be able to be done without all the dicking around.

I sure understand how those prisoners families feel to some extent. I got such slow help (it amounted to no help at all ultimately)trying to get my son who was ill home from the states. If I didn't have personal contacts and his family down there, he might be there sitting in jail still.

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca