today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » Questions about AIDS in Africa

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about AIDS in Africa
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 November 2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The questions were anonymous, which helped ensure their candour. Most of them were about sex - and most of those were about AIDS. Some were touching, like the one from a fearful child wondering how to ask his parents if he had AIDS, in case they abandoned him. Some were blunt: “How long does it take to die?”

And some were breathtakingly realistic: “There is a sugar-daddy that offered me anything I need. The man loves ladies most. What can I do to him so that he can cater for my well-being without being his lover?”

I wondered how old the child was who had put that last question into the box, when the children even in the most senior class were only 13-14 years old.

OneWorld Canada

[ 08 November 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 November 2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A speech by Stephen Lewis on how inequality contributes to the spread of AIDS in Africa

quote:
Days after becoming a Companion of the Order of Canada, Stephen Lewis yesterday addressed the national convention of Canada's largest union. The UN Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa traced the devastation this blight visits on workers worldwide, on women, on children. And he stressed the need for international solidarity to target a most basic cause: inequality. Caught here in 35 minutes of web audio.
- Canadian Union of Public Employees

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca