babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » Did you celebrate National School Library Day?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Did you celebrate National School Library Day?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 November 2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's funny - I can't even conceive of a public school without a librarian. I'm sure people my age remember going to the library regularly with their class in the junior grades, and having the librarian teach about the Dewey Decimal System. And yet, from what I understand, this is commonplace now in Ontario - school libraries with no librarians.

quote:
Roch Carrier, Canada's National Librarian, has declared October 27 to be National School Library Day to raise awareness about the erosion of school libraries across the country. Research affirms that students who attend schools with well-funded libraries managed by qualified teacher-librarians show higher achievement, improved literacy and greater success at the post-secondary level.

BC Teacher's Federation

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 08 November 2003 11:12 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I had no idea that libraries in Canadian schools were threatened. I've watched all the cuts to the arts and physical education programs with growing horror and monitor our educational system here. I don't know if there is this specific problem in MB, but will find out.

As a person living on a tiny income, I use and have used libraries extensively as my only source of reading material, before someone was kind enough to give me this computer and I subscribe to the web. Even when I lived in more affluent times, I've always used the libraries a lot.

Living here in a small town has opened my eyes to how limiting the libraries can be to the locals. We can order books from Winnipeg, but it costs 1$ per book on the interlibrary loan system. Beyond my means as I'd be spending hundreds a year to access this.

Bill Gates donated money for internet use and computers across the country didn't he? The library was great for me to talk to my children at only $1/hr, now it's free.

Librarians can be some of the best people I meet in a day. They are informed and helpful. The school library can be a warm and comfortable learning environment with a good librarian. Without one on staff full time, what's the point of an education? How can anyone learn properly without being taught how to use a library or have access to it?

This really upsets me.

[ 08 November 2003: Message edited by: windymustang ]

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca