babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » in cahoots   » If you're lying, will you resign?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: If you're lying, will you resign?
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 24 September 2003 09:26 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A shout-out to Liberal leadership hopefuls and to candidates in the upcoming Ontario and PEI elections. Today, Democracy Watch challenged them all to pledge to resign if they break their free-running campaign promises. The group also wants candidates to promise their support for legislation making it illegal for politicians and other public officials to lie.

Democracy Watch link

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 24 September 2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is just silly and runs against activist government. Holding people to strategic committments assumes that the political circumstances never change or are totally predictable. Elections are for people to assess the goals of parties, but also to assess their ability to achieve their goals.
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 24 September 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I kind of like the idea. I've often wondered how it is that a candidate can stand up and promise "I'll cut taxes", then get into office, raise taxes, and not be held accountable for another 4 years.

If the times are-a-changin' that fast, then maybe they shouldn't make promises. Just stand up and say "Gee, I don't know what things will be like in a few years, so I don't want to get your hopes up or anything. But I have a neat slogan, don't I?"

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 24 September 2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Grant Devine made a whole bunch of outlandish promises. The people of Sask voted for them. He fulfilled them and put the province in hock for years to come. The place would have been a lot better if he hadn't lived up to his promises and thrown out the next election for being a liar. Election promises should be judged by the electorate, not some legal system.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca