babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Re: "Tasers should be banned"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Re: "Tasers should be banned"
gbacque
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11948

posted 23 November 2007 02:35 PM      Profile for gbacque        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A solidarity rally will also be happening in Toronto. Saturday November 24, 12 noon @ Queen's Park.

(What's unique about this initiative that it may be one of the first major demos in this city to have been organized almost entirely by way of Facebook.)
:-)

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 23 November 2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I was ever tasered, I'd die, because I have a heart condition. How are cops supposed to know who has a heart condition (or other ailment)?
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 23 November 2007 03:18 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there any type of fabric or material you can wear that would insulate you or somehow reduce the impact of being tasered?
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 23 November 2007 03:19 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aka Mycroft:
Is there any type of fabric or material you can wear that would insulate you or somehow reduce the impact of being tasered?

Better yet, is there anything that would reflect the bolt of electricity back onto the person with the taser gun or is that too Hollywood?

anchovy breather
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14223

posted 23 November 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for anchovy breather     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I asked on a different thread if somehow hooking up a grounding wire in your shoe would actually work. Similar thought.

But see, then I was thinking, negating the taser might be a bad idea. Say, sometime I had a misunderstanding with the Po-Po. I'm not particularly deviant or belligerent, but fuck, these days who knows how a day could turn out, right?

And I happened to have my grounding wire hooked up, and the 5-0 didn't like the fact that I didn't want to talk to them, so they tased me.

But it did nothing.

Guaranteed I would end up riddled with bullets.

"The taser did nothing. He must have been methed up to the tits, or a vampire. Or Astar the Robot. Or something.

Unstoppable, we say. We had to shoot him a dozen times."

Re-directing the charged flow on to the taser attacker would be way more fun and therefore is a better idea.

From: rotating, random | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
gbacque
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11948

posted 23 November 2007 03:56 PM      Profile for gbacque        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anchovy breather:
I asked on a different thread if somehow hooking up a grounding wire in your shoe would actually work. Similar thought.

But see, then I was thinking, negating the taser might be a bad idea. Say, sometime I had a misunderstanding with the Po-Po. I'm not particularly deviant or belligerent, but fuck, these days who knows how a day could turn out, right?

And I happened to have my grounding wire hooked up, and the 5-0 didn't like the fact that I didn't want to talk to them, so they tased me.

But it did nothing.

Guaranteed I would end up riddled with bullets.

"The taser did nothing. He must have been methed up to the tits, or a vampire. Or Astar the Robot. Or something.

Unstoppable, we say. We had to shoot him a dozen times."

Re-directing the charged flow on to the taser attacker would be way more fun and therefore is a better idea.

>reply scratched<

[ 23 November 2007: Message edited by: gbacque ]

Buddy Kat
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13234

posted 23 November 2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Buddy Kat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a cloth like material called "Thor" that is an anti taser material. Don't know if it's available to the public. Do some checkin on the net.

I wouldn't think it would matter anyways..they would just aim for your head!

Yes they are sick bastards. At the bare minimum these tasers ARE torture devices...no question about that.

gbacque
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11948

posted 23 November 2007 06:31 PM      Profile for gbacque        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buddy Kat:
There is a cloth like material called "Thor" that is an anti taser material. Don't know if it's available to the public. Do some checkin on the net.

I wouldn't think it would matter anyways..they would just aim for your head!

Yes they are sick bastards. At the bare minimum these tasers ARE torture devices...no question about that.

The most recent injury in Toronto was a man blinded when one of the barbs hit him in the eye. Some form of shatterproof protection for the peepers would definitely be in order.

[ 23 November 2007: Message edited by: gbacque ]

TemporalHominid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6535

posted 24 June 2008 06:05 AM      Profile for TemporalHominid   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
An Ontario man died Monday after a Taserincident involving Ontario Provincial Police

in Canada at least 21 people have died after police officers have deployed Tasers

From: Under a bridge, in Foot Muck | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Harumph
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15117

posted 01 July 2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Harumph     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aka Mycroft:

No, but there is something you can DO to insulate yourself from the energy in the taser: obey the law.

From: West of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 01 July 2008 03:47 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harumph:

No, but there is something you can DO to insulate yourself from the energy in the taser: obey the law.

What if you obey the law but the police choose not to? What do you do then?

Robert Dziekanski wasn't breaking the law when he was tasered.

TemporalHominid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6535

posted 02 July 2008 06:33 AM      Profile for TemporalHominid   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harumph:

oh?

Edmonton Police deploy taser onBert Hamm while he was in diabetic shock .... he was wearing a medic alert bracelet
-he suffered a collapsed lung and a punctured lung as a result.

Const. Mike Wasylyshen used his Taser at least six times on 16-year-old Randy Fryingpan, found sleeping in a car October 2002.

Brian Fish, 66 years old. Fish, a family lawyer, claims he was tasered while taking photos at the scene of an arrest. June 17. 2006. Fish went down to Whyte Avenue and started taking pictures with his digital camera because his son had called to say he thought the police were using too much force with the crowd. When Fish refused the request of Edmonton police to stop taking photos, he was knocked to the ground and hit with a Taser twice on his back.

Man tasered for refusing to be fingerprinted

A jaywalker in Edmonton tasered while he had handcuffs placed on him.

15 y/o Boy tasered during strip search

2 adults tasered in their sleep at a hotel in Edmonton

Gibbons Man tasered in own home, after a night of drinking a neighbour's reporting it looked like someone was breaking into his residence

Craig Williamson, 53 years old with cerebral palsy. claims he was tasered by Edmonton Police officers while being evicted

ROCK HILL, S.C. — A police officer used a taser on 75-year oldwho became distraught when she could not locate a sick friend at a nursing home

A 12-year-old girl who was skipping school was found drinking and smoking; an officer deployed the taser as she ran away. A 6 year old first-grader was shot with a Taser at school while in the custody of 3 officers.

[ 02 July 2008: Message edited by: TemporalHominid ]

From: Under a bridge, in Foot Muck | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 02 July 2008 10:52 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you TH that appears to have shut him up!
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fleabitn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14927

posted 02 July 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Fleabitn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"ding dong..taser calling"

Selling Avon to your friends inside their homes is so 70's.

Sex-toy partis? So 90's

2008: Arm your friends for fun and profit:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2008/06/15/natpkg.taser.party.wxia?iref=videosearch

From: between thought and action | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
retiredguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15153

posted 03 July 2008 05:22 PM      Profile for retiredguy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you give police tasers, people who wouldn't otherwise be dead are going to die. It's already happened. If you shoot someone with a gun you know they're going to die. Tasers are just a way of avoiding responsibility for a wrongful death by being able to call it a fluke. The most unfortunate thing is that police brass are looking extremely callous in their responses to these incidents. Now it may be that police brass are extremely callous when dealing with accidental death caused by the people under their command. But just in terms of public perception of the police, it's probably better if they don't appear to be that way. There have been so many taser related deaths now, no one even believes them when they say tasers are safe or that they save lives. These deaths underline how little concern police organizations have for the public. The only question now, is how many people who have not and are never likely to have criminal records going to die before this latest gadget is taken away from the police. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the police. I have a lot against the police's "We can get away with anything" arrogance.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca