FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Dissent is dangerous

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Dissent is dangerous
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 25 August 2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Freeport, Maine is a wonderland of American consumer capitalism. Its pristine 19th century buildings on a narrow main street give the familiar comfort of small town America. But in Freeport and around the U.S., a young pastor with a peace pin, a retired landscaper with a bumper sticker, and a poorly dressed filmmaker with a populist streak are now seen as dangerous dissenters.

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 August 2004 01:33 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, doesn't Freeport pretty much belong to LL Bean? I like their sturdy, comfortable clothing as well, but aren't they a big funder of the Republicans? Maybe our USian babble friends can provide more information.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 August 2004 01:43 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And all those other companies listed in the article, except ... I did not know that about LL Bean. Oh, drat. Oh, drat drat drat. It made life so easy. Oh, drat.
DownTheRoad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4523

posted 25 August 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for DownTheRoad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where did you hear that? A quick search of campaign contributions indicates the opposite.

So far my "Regime Change '04" and "Working to implement the insidious liberal agenda" bumper stickers haven't yet got me squashed by someone's Hummer. [FALSE BRAVADO]Bring the bastards on! [/FALSE BRAVADO]

From: land of cotton | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 25 August 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was always struck, as Steven seemed to be, by the genuine little town of Freeport that exists in and around and in spite of the vast array of consumer outlets. It's like going to Niagara Falls, where I try to squint my eyes and "see" what the Falls were like before anything else was there. I do that in Freeport also.

I didn't know the politics of L.L. Bean -- but I found this piece on a progressive news site called Another Perspective. Perhaps on reading this, we might think that giving money to the Republicans is a good thing.

quote:
Linda Bean Folkers, the granddaughter and heiress to the fortune of L.L. Bean, has always been a supporter of the most radical and insane right wing causes and politicians. She has contributed thousands of dollars to such miserable groups as our old buddy Newt Gingrich's GOPAC, the Republican Coalition for Life (anti-abortion only - not anti-war or anti-disease or anti-starvation or the like), and that sad and silly old ultra-conservative "matriarch", Phyllis Schlaffly's "Eagle Forum (the group of misguided conservative women who really appreciate being paid less than men and having fewer rights than men and allowing men to control their bodies and its functions on and on).

But, not one to stop at just dancing with the Devil, she now wants to lie down with him, as well.

In the 2000 election cycle alone, Folkers has contributed $20,000 in individual funds to the newly named Constitution Party. This shiny new party is actually just the same old U.S. Taxpayers Party, a truly scary bunch of people if ever there was.

What makes the Constitution Party so frightening to those of us who prize our freedoms above all else? Well, consider their platform. You'll find that they still fear the long discredited notion of a "New World Order", although they want to inflict their so-called Biblical based version on the rest of us. They want to repeal the Voting Rights Act, build state and local militia, divest our national parks, return our government to some mythical time when our legal system was based on a biblical foundation, abolish taxes, make abortion illegal, eliminate all public schools and general education curriculum and make all teaching centered on the "basic assumptions about God" and "establish a republic under God, rather than a democracy".

And there's more...

[ 25 August 2004: Message edited by: Sharon ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 August 2004 02:21 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, but: look at DownTheRoad's link: the chairman is at least a modest supporter of the Dems.

Sorry to sound like a conspicuous consumer here, but LL Bean run one of the best mail-order/online businesses around, and they have at times been a real life-line for me. Live under house-arrest for a while, and you really come to appreciate people like them.

The heiress is a problem. I can see that.

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 25 August 2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with you about L.L. Bean, skdadl. I like shopping there in person also. I have things that I bought there 15 years ago that I'm still happily wearing.

And although I had never looked up anything about their politics, I do know that -- although they're not unionized, which I would prefer -- they are reputed to be good employers and have a loyal staff of employees. And they don't sell sweat-shop products, as far as I know.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 August 2004 03:46 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I sure agree about the quality, convenience and constant fit of LL Bean products. They also fit most everyone, from extra-small to 3X, petites and talls. I also have things from them that I've had for at least 10 or 15 years. Sure wish there was a Canadian-based mail-order outfit with the same quality and range of products though ... But I probably will order their fleece coat ... when my clients cough up.

I've never been to Maine. Sounds pretty, but I refuse to go to the US these days. Funny how Bush and Bin Laden seem to be out for the same kind of restrictions on travel and other freedoms, eh?

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 26 August 2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
. . . but I refuse to go to the US these days.

Me too. Unfortunately, most of my relatives live in the US. They don't understand me. So far, they think I'm nuts, but they do continue to pressure me. How are you holding up?

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 27 August 2004 09:43 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I refuse to go to the US these days.

I know what you mean about not going to the U.S. We haven't been for a few years. In the Maritimes -- especially NB -- we're so close to Maine and people are just back and forth across that border without thinking twice. And lots of Mainers are nice people, something like us. Not all of them, of course! That's not unlike the American people as a whole, I guess.

We were in Ontario earlier this month and often like to come back via the States -- change of scenery and all -- but one hears too much about the line-ups and the long waits at the borders so we decided to retrace our steps and return along the mighty St. Lawrence and through New Brunswick. It's a beautiful drive and we're always happy to see the sign for St. Louis du Ha! Ha!

Canamerican Girl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6758

posted 29 August 2004 03:45 AM      Profile for Canamerican Girl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before moving to Maryland, I basically grew up in New Hampshire and consider myself a Northern New Englander.

I truly feel this columnist is fishing for dissent. New England is full of Kerry well-wishers as well as war protesters. We are in the middle of an election cycle here and rest assured, barring unforeseen stupidity on the Kerry/Democrats, and though we might squeak by, I am quite sure that those who would take away this country's civil liberties will be out of office.

Dissent is a proud tradition in New England, where decisions are made at town meetings and cantankerous souls paper the editorial departments of our local storefront papers with plenty of opining and whining.

And as far as LL Bean goes, having one crazy relative does not make for a crazy corporation. They are responsible toward their employees and their customers, involved in the democratic party and a shining example of capitalism done the right way.

From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 August 2004 04:28 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I truly feel this columnist is fishing for dissent. New England is full of Kerry well-wishers as well as war protesters. We are in the middle of an election cycle here and rest assured, barring unforeseen stupidity on the Kerry/Democrats, and though we might squeak by, I am quite sure that those who would take away this country's civil liberties will be out of office.

yes, but you are aware that your country is in the process of being taken over by a neo-facist clique?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Canamerican Girl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6758

posted 29 August 2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Canamerican Girl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:

yes, but you are aware that your country is in the process of being taken over by a neo-facist clique?

No, you're confused. I'm from the US. Not Quebec.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 August 2004 05:37 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lol.

However Deomcratic appologetics, such as those offered by Kerry et al over me little comfort. It seems that the US flips a coin every few years but that coin is the same old wooden nickel.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 29 August 2004 05:42 AM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lagetta, why do you not go to the US if I may ask?
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 29 August 2004 07:46 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

trying to offend an entire province in your first 5 posts on babble is not a good tactic.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 29 August 2004 09:00 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Neofascist clique in Québec? Sure, Jean Charest is right-wing and anti-union, but that is a WEE bit of an exaggeration, no? Now if it were Mario Dumont and some of those thuggish hate radio supporters, you might have a hint of a case ...

Hailey, these days I don't want to travel to the US because I fear police repression. Many activists from abroad (though we are all adamantly opposed to anything to do with al Qaïda and terror attacks on innocent people as at the WTC ... duh...) have been subjected to harassment, interrogations, deliberately missed flights and worse. And I really hate how they are treating visitors and citizens of Middle Eastern and South Asian descent these days, including a prominent Canadian writer. It has nothing to do with any animosity to folks in the US - I have two good friends in NYC in particular.

Canamerican Girl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6758

posted 29 August 2004 09:36 AM      Profile for Canamerican Girl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willowdale Wizard:

trying to offend an entire province in your first 5 posts on babble is not a good tactic.

I was just trying to have fun just as Cueball was. No offense intended (especially considering my mother hails from Dorval and my father from Lachine).

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 29 August 2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
. . . these days I don't want to travel to the US because I fear police repression.

Me too. Is there any way to find out who's on the hit list? I mean, could I find out in advance of crossing if they are going to cause me a lot of trouble?

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 29 August 2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cougyr, there is no way interpol has a system that is unique and is not replicated by your local police services or RCMP. To my knowledge there is no way given the tightness of the security around these issues.

Lagetta, I had not heard things were that bad. That's disheartening. You'd think persons would have the right to peacefully protest without having these kind of retalitory responses.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 August 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canamerican Girl:

haha that was funny.

Canamerican Girl you must remember here in Quebec making fun of Toronto is allowed. But if anyone in Canada dares make a joke about Quebec ohhh the humiliation.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: mary123 ]

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 29 August 2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mary123:

haha that was funny.

Canamerican Girl you must remember here in Quebec making fun of Toronto is allowed. But if anyone in Canada dares make a joke about Quebec ohhh the humiliation.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: mary123 ]

You don't know the anti-Quebec sentiment I've had to listen to growing up in Northern Ontario. I think they never dreamed I was half Francophone myself because I am light haired, blue etc. I was listening though. Really narrow minded. Hicks.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 29 August 2004 04:07 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ditto for me Fidel. I grew up in rural Vancouver Island in the 70's (oops...my age is showing.) and the anti-French crap was revolting. Classmates bragged about how soon they were able to jettison French from their studies. My own brother, upon seeing Minnesota defeat the Habs in a playoff series, decided to purchase a t-shirt honouring the occassion...the t-shirt had a big hockey player with his stick protruding upwards....and a dead frog draped over the blade. Can you say "hate"?

On the other hand, for those with eyes to see...there was a book in those days that radicalized young N.Beltov forever.

It was called

An Option for Quebec
by some guy named Levesque.

It took the top of my head off.

[ 29 August 2004: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Canamerican Girl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6758

posted 29 August 2004 04:22 PM      Profile for Canamerican Girl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fidel:

You don't know the anti-Quebec sentiment I've had to listen to growing up in Northern Ontario. I think they never dreamed I was half Francophone myself because I am light haired, blue etc. I was listening though. Really narrow minded. Hicks.

My heritage is like the ultimate Romeo and Juliet brew... half francophone, half anglo...living in the States. I am constantly in a state of defending myself!

No, we don't carry six guns in holsters in the states.

No, we don't only eat bacon, drink beer and live in igloos in Canada (actually was at the border when I was 17 on one of our frequent trips to visit family in Montreal, and there was someone with skis strapped to their car. It was July. My father asked if they were going to the Rockies or something and they said, "No, we're going to Sutton. Hey, where's all the snow?" TRUE STORY!)

My grandfather was paid significantly less than his english counterparts yet did double duty as he handled both french and english accounts. At the same time, I am wondering what that sign says as I approach Pont Champlain during rush hour, when finally, my horrible translation sinks in that I am about to be facing on-coming buses as I am now driving the wrong way...can't there be some English considering it's one of the countries official languages? (my mom tried to teach me french...in New Jersey. Poor Mom...it appeared that on top of the confusion I was also speech delayed.

So, if I offended, it is only because I am self-deprecating.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca