babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » We back Jack: rabble endorses the NDP

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: We back Jack: rabble endorses the NDP
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 26 June 2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
At rabble.ca, we usually let our readers and our writers speak for us. The people who work on rabble, paid and volunteer, have never before spoken out as a group. But on the eve of this federal election, we want you, our readers, to know where we stand. Progressive people can make a difference — but not by voting Liberal or Conservative. We believe our country can move forward if enough of us vote for the NDP on Monday, June 28.

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 26 June 2004 11:04 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am *Shocked*.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 26 June 2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your winnings, sir...
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 26 June 2004 11:24 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you. As I was saying, Rick ....
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 26 June 2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's no surprise, but still it's nice to see considering how the NDP has been so marginalized by most other media sources.

I sincerely hope that Canadians will vote their hearts and conscience on Monday and give the Liberals and Reforms the wake up call they deserve.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 27 June 2004 12:25 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Liberals talk about a stable government but we don't know how bad the stable is going to smell. - T. C. Douglas

Tommy was ahead of his time.

cheers!

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 27 June 2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very cool. That 'editorial' was a good read, I completely agree with basically everything that was said.
From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 27 June 2004 02:08 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judy Rebick will be on CBC TV's Sunday at 10 AM with Edward Greenspon of the Globe and Matthew Frasier of the Post to talk about how national publications decide who to support in an election.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 27 June 2004 08:31 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Cromwell:
Your winnings, sir...

pfft, the NDP winnings have to be split so many ways it turns out to be only peanuts.

If I would have won, then my payout would have been ginourmous. But that's because the odds on rabble supporting Harper were 1 : 1,000,000,000,000

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 27 June 2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judy was great on TV. I hope some of you saw her. She managed to get all her good points in and took advantage of whatever opportunity she had to emphasize them. I thought she made a better case -- even from a mainstream point of view -- than the others did. (It was Jonathan Kaye from the Post. I guess Matthew Fraser couldn't make it.)

So congratulations to Judy -- a very successful morning!

Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 27 June 2004 12:07 PM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep I saw Judy on TV this morning she was very good. Thanks for the heads up about it Rasmus.
From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
janew
webmistress
Babbler # 199

posted 27 June 2004 12:35 PM      Profile for janew     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nicely done, Judy.
I know it's no surprise to anyone that the staff at rabble supports the NDP, but I'm glad we did so upfront.
It was obvious during the panel discussion that the other media reps didn't even consider supporting the NDP. There should therefore be input from those of us who wouldn't even consider supporting the conservative alliance or the Liberals

From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Judes
publisher
Babbler # 21

posted 27 June 2004 12:51 PM      Profile for Judes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks I've never been so thrilled to be on TV. To have rabble treated on the same level as the Globe and Mail and the National Post was pretty great. Of course the reason is because not a single paper in the country supports the NDP (at least to my knowledge) but still it is nice to have the recognition and to have that alternative voice recognized.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 June 2004 12:58 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
not a single paper in the country supports the NDP (at least to my knowledge) but still it is nice to have the recognition and to have that alternative voice recognized.

It is, and you, Judes, deserve so much credit for earning the party and "the rest of us" that voice this time 'round.

Congratulations, and thank you.

Red T-shirt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5872

posted 27 June 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Red T-shirt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good article and an excellent TV interview. Love the way you keep driving home the point that the very best things about Cananda were put into place because of pressure from the left. Perhaps this will sway a few fringe NDP supporters from caving in on the whole strategic voting scam. If you want progressive policies vote NDP, don't settle for the lesser evil between the Libs & Cons.
From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 27 June 2004 01:41 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I missed the interview but I managed to see something else on Newsworld. That guy Solomon with four women from the "major" parties had an interesting discussion. The Conservative, Elsie Wayne, made it very clear that, in her view, minority governments are not something beneficial at all.

The Conservatives may find themselves in the unenviable position of irrelevance with an attitude like that. It seemed very clear that the Bloc, the NDP and Liberals have a lot more in common than the Conservatives have in common with any of the other three. Or maybe it was just that Elsie Wayne is so out to lunch.

BTW, will the item with Rebbick be replayed? When?

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 27 June 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's see if I can get this straight (taking times zones into consideration -- shouldn't be difficult, right?) CBC News Sunday is repeated at 1 p.m. I've just checked and it's already into its repeat in Atlantic Canada. So I would say that you should be able to catch the program in under two hours -- 1 p.m. Central. Judy's item was near the top of the second hour so that means you have even longer to wait. Clear?
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 27 June 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"spaceba bolshoi tovarich."
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 27 June 2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NOW endorsed the NDP this week but that's not a suprise. Did any other "alternative" weeklies do the same? (ie the Georgia Straight, Eye (which is owned by Torstar) or any others?)

Certainly no daily that I'm aware of endorsed the NDP. The Star actually endorsed the NDP once in its history, 1979, because they were mad at the Liberals.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 June 2004 03:33 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very well said, rabblestaff and Judes!
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev. Phoenix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5140

posted 27 June 2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Rev. Phoenix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Judy did excellent. Hopeful mainstream views at home see that interview and see that there is an alternive if one wishes to be imformed.

One thing I found interesting is that the Globe endorsed the NDP at the provincal level. I wonder if they'll endorse Carol during the BC election.

It also showed me that their not interested in ideas, but rather jumping on board with the "winner." Shows me Rabble is indeed a better national choice, I just hope more Canadians see that.

kimmy gibler
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6337

posted 27 June 2004 08:17 PM      Profile for kimmy gibler        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
can anyone here say who owns the toronto star? is it part of the global media empire? ty
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 June 2004 08:25 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Toronto Star is owned by the Torstar Corporation.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Helen
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1960

posted 30 June 2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Helen        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So I find this endorsement in my in-box today! June 30. Of course, I voted appropriately, but if I had been wavering, it would have been good to have had the endorsement BEFORE the election. nevertheless, thanks for all your good work in keeping us apprised of what's really going on.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 01 July 2004 10:21 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Helen, our endorsement of Jack and the NDP was at the top of the rabble.ca homepage (with a full story on the inside) from fairly early Sunday until after the polls had closed everywhere in the country.
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 01 July 2004 11:19 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right. I think she's talking about the weekly mailing, though.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 01 July 2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed. I understood that. I thought Helen would want to know that readers who looked at the news site itself had the endorsement the day before the election.
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 01 July 2004 12:13 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check

I have an "explaining things" problem.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca