babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » The campaign trail: all about who you don't know

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The campaign trail: all about who you don't know
Rush
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6000

posted 24 June 2004 05:55 AM      Profile for Rush     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Thanks to those that gave me a warm welcome in the thread "Does Avril Lavigne want to stop Harper? According to StopHarper.com she does."

In this article
http://www.rabble.ca/news_full_story.shtml?x=32518

quote:

The campaign trail: all about who you don't know
Martin is eager to make voters forget his statement last year that Gordon Campbell is "my kind of Liberal."
>by Derrick O'Keefe

Where did the "my kind of Liberal" quote come from? For example TV News, Radio a newspaper?

A google for "my kind of liberal" Campbell martin doesn't yield the source of this. It does yield this web site http://www.members.shaw.ca/nspector4/tc3.htm by with this line:

quote:

Layton and other NDPers often quote Martin as having said "Gordon Campbell is my kind of Liberal." I've searched, but have not found the citation.

Would any babblers know where the citation came from?

Thank you.

Rush
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6000

posted 20 August 2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Rush     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I recently realized I had access to the Canadian Newsstand database at my school's intranet. Anyway I did a query for "kind of liberal" and Martin" and found two possibly relevant items for this thread.

From page A10 of the "Courier - Islander" of Campbell River, B.C. on Apr 28, 2004 is a letter titled "Comparisons between Liberal parties explained"

The author Harry Allen writes

quote:

In his letter of April 10 John Leard insists that there is no connection between the Federal Liberals of Paul Martin and the B.C. Liberals of Gordon Campbell.
Perhaps Mr. Leard should tell this to Prime Minister Martin who is on record as saying "Gordon Campbell is my kind of Liberal."

Also there is a column by James McNulty from page A32 of February 22, 2004 The Province titled "Bulldog Layton's growling NDP won't let go"
The article quotes Jack Layton (emphasis is mine):

quote:

"I think there's a huge possibility for a shift in representation here," Layton tells me -- and this time he has the numbers to make a decent case.

"It's clear that the old Alliance has lost its cachet. People have now experienced, with Gordon Campbell, what it's like to live under a government that operates under those principles.

"And of course Paul Martin said that Campbell was his kind of Liberal."

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca