babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Re-instate slavery.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Re-instate slavery.
John Russell
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5316

posted 31 March 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for John Russell     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As I ponder our pathetic justce system with its obvious bias for criminal rights over victems rights, perhaps we should legislate a secondary bill of rights.
The first and current bill of rights would apply those those who respect and follow the laws that govern our society.
The second added bill of rights would aply to those convicted and incarcerated of breaking those laws.

Now I'm all for the basics of meeting human needs, and outlawing cruel and unusual punishment.
But instead of housing the criminal element of our society in expensively run prisons, would we not benefit using criminals as slave labour?

Work camps....self sufficient farming prisons where everything was done 1800's style, by hand.
Slave utillized recycling depots, road crews a'la Cool Hand Luke, hey you could even rent them out for unskilled factory work, or manufacturing.

I would rather see my tax dollars going to pick axes and shovels then color t.v.'s .

verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 31 March 2004 04:19 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Have you pondered the benefits of a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation, I wonder? Nobody is going to go for this. I'm all for overhauling the justice system, but adopting the methods of Burma, China, the Soviet Union and other authoritarian states doesn't seem like a shorter line to justice in my mind.

[ 31 March 2004: Message edited by: verbatim ]

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 31 March 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
obvious bias for criminal rights over victems rights

It will take a lot more than your biased opinion to make me believe this is in fact the case. That said, most of what you posted is on the edge of inflamatory, so much so that I don't feel like banging my head over it.

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 31 March 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Russell:
Work camps....self sufficient farming prisons where everything was done 1800's style, by hand. Slave utillized recycling depots, road crews a'la Cool Hand Luke, hey you could even rent them out for unskilled factory work, or manufacturing.

Or message board trolling. *yawn*

From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 31 March 2004 04:22 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Give the priests of prison privatization enough time...I'm sure they'll get around to it.

Interestingly, it was a little known Manitoban by the name of H. Clare Pentland, Economics prof at what has become the University of Manitoba, who pointed out in his magnum opus that slavery was not introduced in Canada...(very, very briefly) because our winters required slave owners to maintain the slave in the cold weather months when the slave wasn't working. It was cheaper to have indentured labour that could be...laid off. I'm speaking here of agricultural labourers/slaves...

Plus ca change, plus ca meme choses...

(I assume that was your tongue in your cheek....)

[ 31 March 2004: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 31 March 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not sure how I see this proposal as helping with the safe return of offenders into society as their time comes up.

John, what prisons have you actually been inside?

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 31 March 2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not a rabble.ca feature, right?
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 31 March 2004 04:28 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not at all.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca