FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Remembering Rachel

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Remembering Rachel
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 16 March 2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
On March 16, 2004, people will hold vigils and rallies in different parts of the world to remember Rachel Corrie, a young American woman, who was murdered in the Gaza Strip by a bulldozer on this day last year. She was trying to prevent one of Israel's military bulldozers from destroying a house in Rafah, a city that has been virtually razed to the ground by such bulldozers in the year since she was killed.

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4684

posted 16 March 2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Brenda     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

“I probably will have nightmares and constantly feel guilty for not being here, but I can channel that into more work if the Israeli military should break with their racist tendency not to injure white people. Please pin the reason squarely on the fact that I am in the midst of a genocide which I am also indirectly supporting, and for which my government is largely responsible.”

Poor girl. What a waste. What was a 23 year old american girl doing in Gaza anyway. If she died for a cause she stongly beleived in, I can respect that, but I still think it was a waste of a 23 year old mind that could have done alot more at home before going abroad. You have to change the mind of the people at home before you cart yourself halfway around the world to a warzone to try and make a difference. I mean the Palestinians hate Americans, the Isreali's hate Palestinians more than they like Americans. Did she think her Americanism would prevent something like this from happening?
http://www.electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 March 2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If she died for a cause she stongly beleived in, I can respect that, but I still think it was a waste of a 23 year old mind that could have done alot more at home before going abroad. You have to change the mind of the people at home before you cart yourself halfway around the world to a warzone to try and make a difference.

A message for American service men and women everywhere, Iraq, Haiti, Afghantistan.

PS: Palestinians do not hate Americans. Like most people they admire America for its acheivments, and are inspired by them. They seek those things that have made Ameirca great, a modicum of justice, equality and wealth. On the other hand they resent America because of its almost single-minded support for Israel and its apparent unwillingness to help them achieve those things that America has led them to believe are possible.

Nor, do Israelis hate America.

You are right, the world would be a lot better of if Americans between the ages of 18 and 30 stayed home, except for the purposes of tourism. For the most part, Americans can't get anything right outside of the borders of their own country when they become politically involved.

[ 16 March 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca