babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » World Social Forum begins in hectic mayhem

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: World Social Forum begins in hectic mayhem
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 15 January 2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here in Mumbai, amidst a city of tumultuous yet functional disorganization, with no street lines and more smog than oxygen, the fourth World Social Forum is set to begin — an event well-suited to the atmosphere of the location.

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 15 January 2004 10:35 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was wondering how places are selected for WSFs. I'd love to go someday.
From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 January 2004 03:28 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In general, other than speakers who are invited to give conferences, delegates are chosen through associations (unions, NGOs, la Fédération des femmes du Québec, that sort of thing). I could have gone as a volunteer interpreter through Babels, but couldn't afford to take the time off without pay and probable lack of other internet access to work on my own freelance stuff - after working thus at the European Social Forum and a couple of related things not long ago.

I'm wondering if there isn't a bit of "social forum fatigue" - several speakers I know have taken a miss this time. On the other hand there could be a whole new dynamic with the many social movements in South Asia and elsewhere in that most populous continent. That was part of the idea of moving the Social Forum out of Porto Alegre.

There was supposed to be a "Québec-Canada-First Nations Social Forum" right here in Montréal in June, but that is stalled. There just might be a smaller one, just a Québec Social Forum - of course everyone from anywhere else is invited. I'll keep everyone posted about that.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eauz
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3057

posted 16 January 2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Eauz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca