babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Who in Canada will participate in the political power of peer production?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Who in Canada will participate in the political power of peer production?
Russell McOrmond
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 713

posted 17 December 2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Russell McOrmond   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The article “Jack Layton: the power of local politics” reminded me of a very different article I read recently in the Washington Post titled “"Q: What will happen when a national political machine can fit on a laptop? A: See below. In this article Everett Ehrlich applies some of the same peer production logic to politics as Yochai Benkler did for other knowledge production in his paper "Coase's Penguin, or Linux and the Nature of the Firm".

In my own weblog entry for this article I spoke about how these political campaigns by Howard Deans supporters are making use of peer production not only in the campaign methods, but also the use of peer produced software such as the Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) project Drupal.

As a political activist I am starting a campaign to promote peer production public policy. As part of this work and as a member of the GOSLING community I have been meeting many MPs and other policy makers. I have been wondering when a Canadian candidate and/or political party will fully embrace these methodologies. Some MPs, including current cabinet ministers, are aware of some aspects of FLOSS public policy such as cost savings aspects in procurement policy, but the full social, economic and governance issues have not yet been fully understood by any politician that I am aware of.

[ 17 December 2003: Message edited by: Russell McOrmond ]

From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 December 2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Russell, thanks for the great post. I'm just going to move this to "Rabble features" since it's a rabble news feature rather than a columnist (I know, these categories are confusing). I hope you'll get lots of responses there.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca