babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » 'A totally rabbly event'

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 'A totally rabbly event'
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 21 November 2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Olivia Chow, popular Toronto city councillor, was there. So was her husband, Jack Layton, federal leader of the NDP. Your auntie.com, decked out in the way only she can pull off, was there. But where was the rabble?

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 21 November 2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon:
But where was the rabble?

The answer to that question appears later in the same article:
quote:

Perhaps rabblers have to get up early. A lot of partiers left around 1 a.m., which is understandable for a Thursday.

Seems logical to me.

statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 21 November 2003 09:03 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ok, at the risk of getting yelled at...can i ask a small question: ...why was fressen chosen as the venue. i mean, way overpriced veggie food and snobbish upper class clientelle....or so my working class veg head friends put it...

maybe i'm being a snob, or they are and i'm listening to them...but i remember reading about the event, then the location and going why there?

so yes, i know, this sounds more like a criticism than an honest question i'm sure, but i just kinda wanna know why fressen was chosen when it's not quite grassroots friendly.

i have to apologize for not going because i was put off by the fressen thing, as were three of my r/l + babbler friends. yes, it was totally lame for us not to go, but we could maybe only afford one beer and one appertizer between us three, so we declined.

humbly yours,
krystalline

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 21 November 2003 10:30 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OH good lord.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 21 November 2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad to see Auntie wasn't disheartened. Sounds like a good party. Sorry I missed it.
From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 21 November 2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fressen seemed okay to me, but unfortunately I was too tired that evening to go out. By all means, try it again - but perhaps somewhat earlier this time.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 November 2003 09:41 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I missed it too -- small crowd means better conversations to me, usually. But I can't stay up that late. auntie amazes me -- and she had jet lag, too.
outtayourbox
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3144

posted 22 November 2003 10:23 PM      Profile for outtayourbox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fressen was chosen for a few reasons. First off, this was a late-night thing (kitchen closed), so the only appetizers available were those COMPLIMENTARY bruschetta platters on the bar served w/ homemade bread.

The venue was free; atmosphere of the place is fantastic (have you been there on a lounge night?); the DJ equipment was in-house; bottle beer is $5/tap beer $6 (not much more expensive than other T.O. bars); it's in central dwtn; and the owner is a lefty animal rights advocate which I thought was fitting.

Besides these, I had a few weeks to organize the event and as an employee at Fressen, the communication/preparation process was WAY easier on me. I could keep constant tabs on everything. Stephen, the owner, even paid someone to help me put up rabble's 300+ posters!

It's too bad the place was judged based on a few people's experiences of it during dinnertime, when the clientele ranges from low-key vegan kids to dressed-up rich people.

windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 22 November 2003 10:40 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wish I could have been there to meet some of these great rabblers, babblers, writers, editors and famous folk. Hope you had fun, those that did go!

Hey, next time, do you want to meet in Brandon?...or maybe I'll host a yard party in the summer. Give the unusual church in their home something to have a gander at!

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 22 November 2003 11:50 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I generally make every effort to get to babble gatherings, despite the obvious west-of-Yonge-st. bias exhibited by the organization. (I live in Oshawa) I made it to the thing on Cecil St, I was at the bash at Clintons, but 10:30 on a Thusrsday night is too much for this old goat.

It sounds like a great time was had though. Michelle, Auntie, and Andrea looked ravishing. I had some issues regarding leather and knot tying I wanted to discuss with Auntie. It'll have to wait I guess.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 23 November 2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldgoat:
I generally make every effort to get to babble gatherings, despite the obvious west-of-Yonge-st. bias exhibited by the organization. (I live in Oshawa) I made it to the thing on Cecil St, I was at the bash at Clintons, but 10:30 on a Thusrsday night is too much for this old goat.

It sounds like a great time was had though. Michelle, Auntie, and Andrea looked ravishing. I had some issues regarding leather and knot tying I wanted to discuss with Auntie. It'll have to wait I guess.

Is there life east of Yonge? I heard you need a passport to cross the Don Valley...

[ 23 November 2003: Message edited by: Courage ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 November 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's gotta be a Kipling poem in here, somewhere.

"O take me west of Yonge Street
where the best is like the worst,
where there ain't no Ten Commandments
and a man can raise a thirst."

Hmmm. Anyone care to take it from there?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 23 November 2003 02:08 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that the east/west of Yonge thing is one of the great dividing issues among *real* Torontonians. Personally, I grew up about a one minute walk from Yonge, and am kind of neutral on the subject. I passionately enjoy downtown TO, but love the Danforth, Cabbagetown, and Corktown as much as Queen st. E., Kensington, and the Annex.

BTW, you should spend a little time getting lost right down in the Don Valley. No passport required, but hire a guide.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 23 November 2003 02:16 AM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wish I knew what you were talking about. The last time I was in Toronto was for medical reason at McMasters U. ... just got a rental and drove in great fear to Hamilton. lol, but it was a bit of culture shock, as I hadn't driven in a large city for 5 years.

I only remember Toronto from when I was very young - under 7, when my Nana died.

The SF and I are planning a great treck to the east coast in the next 5 years or so, am anticipating checking out the museums and maybe take in an opera or play.

[ 23 November 2003: Message edited by: windymustang ]

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 November 2003 07:59 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where would have been a more appropriate venue, statica? Do you have any in mind? Maybe the next fund raiser could be held there.

It was fun, although as mentioned in the article, the turnout was sparse. The music really WAS excellent. And andrean and I had fun with the jet-lagged, yet party-rific Auntie. It was nice to meet outtayourbox, too.

[ 23 November 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 23 November 2003 08:48 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, outtayourbox, i guess everything is perception, really, and maybe that matters/matters not to the clientelle you're trying to reach out to. maybe the young poor veggies i hang out have a heavier lifestyle anarchists approach where they take the atmosphere of fressen seriously because they are directly involved in the veggie/vegan/freegan culture. but again, this is not about me telling you you did a bad job or rabble.ca did a bad job, i'm meerely providing feedback on the choice of venue.

michelle: if i was to make a suggestion, then the collectively run Vegetarium Cafe, 33 St. George street (they also host free/PWYC veggie meals once a month, contact: pwycvegandinner@yahoo.ca )

and ya, toronto's west end has always been a different type of progressive activist hangout than the east... more class warriors on the east, more beautiful rebel poet types on the west...this is being symplistic...but sneeky dees brings out a slightly different type of crowd than the library pub.

N-SIGN
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4596

posted 23 November 2003 10:26 PM      Profile for N-SIGN     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Veggie places, DJ's, Toronto?

I represent angry, drunken, meat-eating, Western lefties.

But it was mostly the Western part that mattered. Props to babble west.

statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 23 November 2003 10:57 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I represent angry, drunken, meat-eating, Western lefties.

ah man, this isn't gonna turn out to be a EAST end vs. WEST end thing.

stepping up for the angry, drunken meat eating Eastern lefties...

[ 23 November 2003: Message edited by: statica ]

outtayourbox
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3144

posted 24 November 2003 03:47 AM      Profile for outtayourbox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nice to meet you too michelle!!
N-SIGN
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4596

posted 24 November 2003 05:48 AM      Profile for N-SIGN     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

ah man, this isn't gonna turn out to be a EAST end vs. WEST end thing.

Nah... just pointing out I live way too far away to attend.

Also trying to comment on the veggie-friendliness of all left-leaning events I've attended. Including a BBQ once, in Sask where the host went through considerable expense to add a veggie option, which NOBODY took. That got a huge laugh.

I just wished I'd washed my beef down with fountains of beer in huge mugs while I waved my fist in the air cursing the politics of everyone I disagree with.

Beef followed by grain-based beverages, supports local farmers and warms the cockles of the prairie boy heart... to say nothing of its congestive nature. It's nice to be sensitive though, it's just that I'm not.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca