babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble news features   » Looking for fun at the Forum

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for fun at the Forum
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 19 November 2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The liveliest and the largest contingent in the final march at the European Social Forum was from the Refounded Communist Party of Italy. They had a DJ on a sound truck playing great music and hundreds of young people dancing behind a banner that shouted “Disobienti.” The demonstration was the only indication of creativity and fun throughout the social forum. If another world is possible, I hope it will be more colourful and entertaining than the European Social Forum.

Full story

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 19 November 2003 12:44 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, personally I had a lot of fun at the Forum, but I guess that would be better discussed in the thread I started (She's got her ticket) in Out and About.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 19 November 2003 12:54 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lagatta's fun at the forum.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 19 November 2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kind of silly to complain about a European Social Forum being mostly white, isn't it? It's like noting that a gathering in Shanghai is mostly Chinese.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 19 November 2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, thing is, it isn't.
Europe's got lots o' non-white immigrants nowadays. When I was in Paris briefly a year or so back, I noticed blacks were doing all the shit jobs. There were black washroom attendants, black security guards, cleaning staff, et cetera.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 November 2003 03:22 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rufus is right (as was Judes in her report) - there are also a great many people from North Africa, and in particular in the northeastern Paris neighbourhood and suburbs (utterly urbanised areas in this case, just not incorporated in the city proper). There is also a large Asian population, not only the many Vietnamese who immigrated to the former colonial power but now a lot of often undocumented Chinese who work in the garment industry and restaurants, often at home (garment) or undeclared. The Asians tend to live more in the southern part of Paris. There are also Turkish and Kurdish people.

And an invisible immigration that is 'white' but often horrifically exploited, from Eastern Europe, including the many women held in virtual slavery in the sex trade.

But also a lot of foreign students, intellectual exiles from various dictatorships who stayed on and people from everywhere... An extremely cosmopolitan city, for better and worse.

Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 21 November 2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great article from Judy! It's an important point about the lack of, for lack of a better word, the carnivalesque. Perhaps at future forums they might want to invite in political artists to perform in the same manner as regular artists so at a "Fringe" Festival. Due to the trademarking issue may I suggests an "Infringement Festival" that surrounds future SFs, wherever they may be. It is certainly a good time to mix art and politics, and a festive atmosphere is imperative to any progressive movement.

BTW, I think "Global Justice" is sexy, and the most encompassing term I have heard to date to describe the movement. It suggests that it will not stop until justice is reached - the end of war, poverty, oppression, etc.

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 30 November 2003 02:43 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any babblers going to the WORLD Social Forum, in Mumbai, India?

By the way, I don't like the expression Global Justice movement - sounds rather smarmy, no? Much prefer altermondialiste, but none of the intepreters in babels have come up with an adequate English translation so far. It works better in Latin tongues.

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 30 November 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
january 16 to 21, 2004, be there or, er, not be there.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca