babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » Stephen Colbert vs Lynn Westmoreland

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Stephen Colbert vs Lynn Westmoreland
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 09 September 2008 04:23 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was just brought to my attention. Lynn Westmoreland, of the recent "uppity" comment, last year wanted to have the ten commandments displayed in Congress.

Stephen Colbert interviews him, and asks him to name them. He can't.

Oh so very very funny.

Interview here

[ 09 September 2008: Message edited by: bigcitygal ]

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 09 September 2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hilarious though that was, I'd like to see the unadulterated interview.
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 10 September 2008 02:51 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bump!
From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 10 September 2008 02:58 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is frakking hilarious.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 10 September 2008 03:29 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yah, I'm hot and cold with Stephen Colbert, but this is SPOT ON, and Westmoreland is so clueless. There's none of the normal awkwardness that you often see with Stephen's victims, I mean, interviewees. Colbert is perfect deadpan! Esp. when he asks Westmoreland to name them. And of course, where the Ten Commandments should go. Pa ha ha!

I especially like "Do nothing-est"

Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 10 September 2008 03:33 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love how he almost runs over himself trying to say 'department of education' when Colbert asks him what they can cut to balance the budget. What, the whole thing?

And then how he cues him: 'social.....'

'Social security!'

Aaahhahaahaha.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 September 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bigcitygal, silly! That's why the Ten Commandments need to be displayed! If they could be memorized, they wouldn't need to display them!

Hilarious video.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bookish Agrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7538

posted 10 September 2008 04:39 AM      Profile for Bookish Agrarian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love the claim that there is one other do-nothinger. Like it is okay that he hasn't been sucked into that whole making laws thing.
From: Home of this year's IPM | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 10 September 2008 04:45 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And the other do-nothinger is a democrat! So it's like he's balancing out liberal laziness.
martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 10 September 2008 09:41 AM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure that the underling who agreed to recommend this interview to his boss got the boot.
Still, wasn't it a cheap shot - and a bit homophobic - for Colbert to try and bait Westmoreland into describing himself as a "Georgia peach"?

From: "Words Matter" (Mackinnon) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 10 September 2008 09:52 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martin dufresne:
I am sure that the underling who agreed to recommend this interview to his boss got the boot.

Do you think there are still people out there who don't know what the Colbert Report is about? I think that Westmoreland is a new, inexperienced and first time Congressperson. "Any publicity is good publicity"!

quote:

Still, wasn't it a cheap shot - and a bit homophobic - for Colbert to try and bait Westmoreland into describing himself as a "Georgia peach"?

I'd say yes, if it wasn't for that clip of the other Congressperson saying that HE was one. This sounds like a cultural/regional thing that I'm personally not privy to, if some men are fine to call themselves that and some aren't. I'll give you borderline homophobic, which is something that both Jon Stewart and Colbert can do, to great laughs, given their audience.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 September 2008 12:32 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Homophobic? No, that was more like Colbert trying to help Westmoreland to get in touch with his feminine side. Colbert was doing him a favour.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 10 September 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cute. I wish... But I think he was just looking for one more way to ridicule him, putting him in a position where he either gave the impression of being gay or homophobic.
kropotkin1951
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2732

posted 10 September 2008 01:31 PM      Profile for kropotkin1951   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by martin dufresne:
Cute. I wish... But I think he was just looking for one more way to ridicule him, putting him in a position where he either gave the impression of being gay or homophobic.
Yes but part of the joke is that the Congressman was squirming likely because he is homophobic but is afraid to admit it. Double edged humour the right wing people laugh at the "homo" joke and the others laugh at the homophobe on the hot seat.

I can't decide whether I like Colbert or not but I know that we no longer have any good Canadian political satire. Spare me Rick Mercer who appears unwilling to embarrass a homophobe conservative. Watching him suck up to the military and Harpo is far more nauseating.

From: North of Manifest Destiny | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 10 September 2008 01:57 PM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am with you about Mercer - such a disappointment... I'm sure Mary Walsh often cries in her beer - but I disagree about this notion of "double edged humor": if you are making right-wingers laugh, you're doing homophobia, period. And I disagree that the alleged "others" are not also laughing at the 'homo' joking. Plenty of homophobia on the Left - just try to wear a Gayvara t-shirt...
As for the right (I mean Left) people laughing at a suspected homophobe on a hot seat, I think anyone would have squirmed under such questioning, no? The "social... security?" part seemed especially heavy-handed.
But hey, who am I to stand in the way of a liberal laugh-fest... So satisfying to imagine that our oppposition are fools...

[ 10 September 2008: Message edited by: martin dufresne ]

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 10 September 2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with martin here. The guy is a doofus, but I REALLY want to see what the interview looks like pre-editing. Stephen Colbert didn't just cut to the quick on this, he tore this guy apart. Sure, he deserved it and submitted to a "Better Know a District" interview, but still...

I want to know what the whole thing looks like. Not just the highlights.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 22 September 2008 09:07 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did anyone catch Tony Blair on "The Daily Show" tonight?

He was very charming and sounded quite informed and sincere as he spread the lie that every Arab resistance group in the Middle East is linked in a common terrorist war against the West.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca