FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » W-5 immigrant story

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: W-5 immigrant story
Babbling_Jenn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10944

posted 03 March 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Babbling_Jenn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So this coming Saturday (March 4), CTV's "investigative" program W-5 will be airing what sounds to be a little gem of xenophobia. I could be wrong, so check it out for yourself.

What are we coming to? Really.

Here is a link to the description.

Note: I don't think that anyone should be allowed to commit violent acts against others (within reason, of course), but this specific targetting and fearmongering of immigrants smacks of US scare tactics after 9/11.

And here are some choice quotes from that description.

quote:
A W-FIVE exclusive investigation exposes serious and disturbing flaws with Canada's immigration enforcement system. W-FIVE reveals that an increasing number of immigrants, with long or violent criminal records, have been ordered deported yet remain in Canada - largely because they are being left alone by immigration enforcement officials.

quote:
the W-FIVE team uncover an internal report that exposes Immigration Canada's use of "quotas" that encourage enforcement officers to focus their attention on the people who are easy to deport. The result is that many immigrants making a contribution to their communities are being deported while the criminal offenders, who know how to beat the system, remain in Canada.

From: Rural Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
kimmy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11914

posted 03 March 2006 03:28 AM      Profile for kimmy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our immigration system deserves scrutiny.

I don't think it's fearmongering if they have statistics to show that enforcement of deportation orders has been lax, or information that some of the people who have come to Canada are people who probably shouldn't have been let in. Surely nobody is naive enough to assume that our immigration system is perfect or that there aren't some bad apples amongst those that we let in. With 200,000+ arrivals per year, it would be foolish to assume otherwise.

If dangerous criminals are among those who arrive in Canada, who are they most likely to victimize? Their own communities. Communities of new Canadians themselves are not served by lax enforcement of deportation.

Also, consider that our immigration officials themselves are not infallible. These jobs have been used for patronage appointments in the past and may still be. Consider that in many nations in the world, bribery is a standard business practice. Consider that some of the jobs created for female immigrants are alleged to be just a front for traffic in sex-trade workers. There's lots of reasons that our immigration procedures need scrutiny.

I would think people would like to at least see CTV's treatment of the topic before they condemn it or applaud it.

From: Awesometon, Alberta! | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 March 2006 04:49 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is Eric Malling still on that show? (I haven't watched it in a coon's age.) That Malling is such a little right-wing slug...
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 03 March 2006 05:01 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malling died of a brain hemorrhage after falling down some stairs at home in 1998. I thought he wasn't so bad until the W5 thing on Canada's national debt and comparing us with New Zealand thingy. He was a court jester for the right, for sure.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 03 March 2006 05:43 AM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Surely nobody is naive enough to assume that our immigration system is perfect or that there aren't some bad apples amongst those that we let in. With 200,000+ arrivals per year, it would be foolish to assume otherwise. Kimmy

Correct. So why is it that we need such a segment on immigration to state the obvious ? Enforcement of immigration regulations can well be done without exposing people to the repercussions of the segment in question, xenophobia, suspicion of any non-white and non aboriginal looking person walking down the street, reluctance of employers to hire same, etc..

The harm by far outweighs any -if ever- good coming out of this show.

kimmy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11914

posted 03 March 2006 03:22 PM      Profile for kimmy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sidra:
Correct. So why is it that we need such a segment on immigration to state the obvious ? Enforcement of immigration regulations can well be done without exposing people to the repercussions of the segment in question, xenophobia, suspicion of any non-white and non aboriginal looking person walking down the street, reluctance of employers to hire same, etc..

The harm by far outweighs any -if ever- good coming out of this show.

From the description of the segment, it sounds like the point is not to state the obvious-- that sometimes there are bad apples-- but rather to focus on aspects that are *not obvious*: that there might be systemic flaws and shortcuts in our immigration bureaucracy.

From reading the description, the intent is clearly to apply scrutiny to the bureaucracy, not to the immigrants themselves.

pookie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11357

posted 03 March 2006 04:38 PM      Profile for pookie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimmy:

From the description of the segment, it sounds like the point is not to state the obvious-- that sometimes there are bad apples-- but rather to focus on aspects that are *not obvious*: that there might be systemic flaws and shortcuts in our immigration bureaucracy.

From reading the description, the intent is clearly to apply scrutiny to the bureaucracy, not to the immigrants themselves.

Maybe that's part of the intent, but the tv commerical I saw today made it very much appear that the focus was the immigrants themselves. I'm talking mug shots of non-white faces, juxtaposed against a white victim asking how someone like this could contine to remain in the country.

I agree that the immigration system is rotten in some places, but pieces like this generally only inflame anti-immigrant sentiment, as opposed to sparking sensible discussion of how to fix the bureaucratic problems.

Perhaps they are sensationalizing the spots to make people tune in, and the piece itself is more balanced, but then that in itself is a problem.

[ 03 March 2006: Message edited by: pookie ]

From: there's no "there" there | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
otter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12062

posted 03 March 2006 05:07 PM      Profile for otter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is how much money a person has a criteria in granting landed status? If so, wouldn't crime families be the most likely to be able to produce enough cash to get the status?
From: agent provocateur inc. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 03 March 2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Absolutely. When it came time for the handover to China, and democratic elections were suddenly back in vogue in Hong Kong, Triad mafia needed to somewhere to run to.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
kimmy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11914

posted 05 March 2006 04:31 AM      Profile for kimmy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, did anybody watch the program?

I never watch W-5, but I'd intended to tape this episode just to see if it deserved the fuss. And wouldn't you know it, somehow I ended up with Stargate instead. (MacGyver In Space? huh?)

So, I didn't get to find out if W-5's handling of the subject was sensationalist, balanced, or somewhere in between. Does anybody who saw the show have an opinion?

sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 05 March 2006 09:46 AM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, did anybody watch the program? Kimmy

Though I intended to, I didn't watch it, Kimmy. I too, hope someone who watched it would be so kind as to provide her/his impressions.

Fidel: Thank you for the link on the Hong Kong Triad. Confirms the point.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 05 March 2006 10:17 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched W-5. I was interested on the 'On Ice' part, lowering peoples body temperature to just above freezing after head injuries and back injuries. Anyhow they kept saying lowering temperature to 34C instead of 34F.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 05 March 2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is another story not being told: Employment Agencies. Many companies use temporary workers and almost 90% of the factory workers in the GTA (Toronto) are immigrants.

Many do not speak English have no "Canadian experience" and can't work elsewhere. Agencies are set up to act as intermediaries for the immigrant and a large corporation that needs temporary help. The big corp pays the agency directly. The Agency then pays the workers cash. They ought to report it but some don't.

What this creates is a kind of dissolution of the Canadian legal apparatus in respect of these workers, many desparate for cash, many illegal and operating in Canada without any status whatsoever.

Now is the corporation helping these people out or undermining the social fabric?

What is appalling is the reluctance of the high level politicos to do anything about it or to provide some intelligent value-based analysis.

sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 07 March 2006 08:32 PM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Boinker for the sypnosis.

The politicos have a "slogan" that unfortunately finds echo with a large nummber of citizenry (where politicos draw their support and votes): "Whatever the situation, it is much better than where you came from" or something to that effect.

Heard directly from the mouth of my Ontario (Liberal) MPP, now retired from politics.

Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 07 March 2006 10:06 PM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now you would think that the media would have a different view of things now. But what we have in our very own country is a familar situation. We open the borders to people employing thousands of immigration officials to vet their credentials and then once they are here abandon them to the corporations who can make a profit on them by undermining the public institutions that support the working population.

They are transnational scabs who have few other options. In the old days we had government agencies that administered the unemployed. We had employment offices that coordinated jobs and provided work. Now by attending to the media hype of inept government we let corrupt corporations and political parties fill the void.

Now if you bring up this problem with Liberals they immediately trot out the old horse that we must be liberal and tolerant and not be bigoted. When you start scratching your head wondering what on earth they are talking about you realize this is the precise game they play - dividing worker against worker along lines of race and class and then stepping in as the moderator of a conflict they have created themselves.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 March 2006 10:45 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
W-5 might as well be on Foxnews. I didn't see this episode, but I recall a little while back where they hounded a guy out on parole. They claimed they had pictures of him violating his house arrest, but it turns out that instead the pictures where of him on his way to his legal and scheduled doctors appointment, accompanied by his father, but the W-5 crew did some fancy editing to make it look like he was unaccompanied, and as I recall lied about where he was headed, all so they could have a "sensational story" for their right wing "law and order" hate mongering crowd.

And people who have never had a thing to do with the immigration system fall for it hook line and sinker ... I love for one of these people who think the immigration system invites criminals to renounce their Canadian citizenship and then go through the immigration system process to get it back, and then come back and tell us where the system lacks in regards to being an open door to criminals ...

As for the Canadian immigration system ... there are police and security checks all through the process. I don't see how they could make it any tighter and still be able to call it an "immigration" system. This is likely more right wing racist crap. Taking incidents out of context, and trying to claim that as long as a single immigrant still commits a crime, at any time, or any place, then the immigration system has failed.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 11 March 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok them let us talk perception. The media does not report facts it creates beliefs. So let us then discuss motivation.
What beliefs does the media want us to hold? It wants us to believe that all immigrants are are criminals. Why on earth would the media want us to believe this? Or they want us to believe that the system of assessing the worthiness of immigrants is flawed. Why?

Firstly because dealing with criminals is easy. If there is an "immigrant problem" then it must be one requiring oppressive remedies. The real problem that immigrants confront is the same one we all confront - negiotiating thr capitalist wage economy.

Now can government play a constructive role in ameliorating the difficulties we all face? Not according to the media representation of the problem because it is lax policing, lax enforcement that lets the criminals and ringleaders in. Government - the main remedy to the problem in most countries around the world - is villified.

The hype thusly gets two birds with one stone - it slanders the victims of an oppressive regime with accusations of criminality and it accuses the public instrument of government of being complicit in the "crime".

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 11 March 2006 08:04 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think there is a simpler explanation.

The media no longer wants to invest in what's needed to do true investigative reporting. It's easier to simply make up shit.

It just happens that it is easier to make shit up and have it believed when you make shit up that appeals to the prejudices of the right wing, for they thrive on fear and hatred of things they don't understand.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 11 March 2006 11:54 PM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It just happens that it is easier to make shit up and have it believed when you make shit up that appeals to the prejudices of the right wing, for they thrive on fear and hatred of things they don't understand.

Facts don't often fit into neat ideological compartments. Immigration is one of those thorny problems for everyone. For example, left wingers would easily support tariffs on the importing of consumer goods if it undermined domestic industry. The left supports protecting national industries. The left however, does not support applying the same rationale to the commodity of unskilled labour. The right,as reactionary as it is, doesn't oppose it either because it means cheap labour and higher profits for the friendly corporations that use cheaper, somtimes illegal workers...

The media is lazy. It just can't think outside of the lefy-right construct.Accordingly - and I agree with you - it invents or selects facts that support the contruct...

[ 11 March 2006: Message edited by: Boinker ]

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 12 March 2006 12:21 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And I don't completely disagree with your assessment either, but for the most part, I don't think the "fear" that is attempting to be generated is the same type of fear ... yes, trying to sell the left on the evils of free trade, or private healthcare might involved the use of generating fear, but it is not so much a fear of "the other" as it is a fear of what happens to "the self".

The lefts' fear of private healthcare for instance is not a fear of USians, it's a fear of a system that will not be there for everyone ... the rights fear of immigration on the other hand, is a fear of "the other".

And no, it's not a fear of a "system" they think is unfair, as the right, the home of meritocracy, if they actually believed what they spout, would be calling for completely open borders and "may the best applicant win the job" ... since they are calling for less people being allowed in, it is obvious that their real fear is of the "different" and not so much the system.

That said, in either case it is still a matter of playing to the fear rather than making an effort to research and inform, but these days, I think the preferred direction seems to be to play to the fears of the right, since I believe they are easier to "inspire", the political environment is aligned to accommodate exploiting that kind of fear, and it better serves the purposes of the capitalists who control the media.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca