FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » George Orwell and the blogosphere

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: George Orwell and the blogosphere
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 24 February 2006 05:31 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of the "articles of note" aired in the website, ponders whether George Orwell would have made a good blogger. An interesting question and one that I ,too, have asked - only mine was more upscale since I asked it of Jesus Christ.

Orwell was the bait that I took. There's considerable reading before you reach his name, but worth it.

The following is center-excerpted:

quote:
...At the close of 2002, there were some 15,000 blogs. By 2005, 56 new blogs were starting every minute. As I type this sentence, there are, according to technorati.com, 27.2 million blogs. By the time you read this sentence, there surely will be many more.

Still, blogging would have been little more than a recipe for even more internet tedium if it had not been seized upon in the US as a direct threat to the mainstream media and the conventions by which they control news. And one of the conventions that happened to work in blogging’s favour was the way the media take a new trend and describes it as a revolution. The surge of hype about blogging was helped by the fact that many of the most prominent bloggers were high-fliers within the media establishment - such as Andrew Sullivan, a former editor of The New Republic, or Mickey Kaus of Slate, the online magazine Microsoft sold to The Washington Post Company just over a year ago.

That such established journalists were blogging gave the revolution a dose of credibility that it might not have had if it were in the hands of true outsiders. And then, just before the presidential election in 2004, blogging had its Battleship Potemkin moment, when swarms of partisan bloggers rose up to sink CBS’s iron-jawed leviathan Dan Rather for peddling supposedly fake memos about Bush’s national guard service.

This seemed to prove one of blogging’s biggest selling points - that the collective intelligence of the media’s audience was greater than the collective intelligence of any news programme or newspaper....

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 24 February 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested to read more of this, but there isn't a link. Where is the article from?
From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 24 February 2006 08:17 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry. It was not my intention to have you search 69,617,635 articles of note, even if they did become available in 0.17 seconds.

The site: Arts @ Letters Daily was mentioned in Kevin Chong's column in today's Vancouver Sun.
Hope one of those will assist you.

My original post was prompted, in part, because of confusion that exists in differentiating between blogging and message-boarding, in my opinion. With this medium being under attack, as it is, I condider the topic extremely worthy of discussion.

skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 25 February 2006 11:39 AM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being fairly new to the board, have not yet figured out what dictates what topics are retained after the daily culling, with a reduction from 100-plus topics to, perhaps around 50.

When I went to the home page and then "media", this topic had the appearance of having been buried. Quite puzzling, given the many responses, some quite passionate, to one of the previous media topics on political writing.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 February 2006 11:42 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But there's no "daily culling." "Today's active topics" just shows the threads to which people have posted since midnight Atlantic time, with newest at the top. Come midnight, it's automatically wiped clean and the process starts again.

If you go to the home page and then to "media" (or any other forum), and a topic seems "buried," it's just because there have been more recent postings to other threads in that forum.

Admittedly, sometimes there's a glitch and things look wonky. If you'll excuse the technical jargon.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 25 February 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks 'lance.

I wondered later whether my reference to Jesus Christ in the opening post might have been a turnoff. I could have easily referred to Tommy Douglas or Winston Churchill - both fine orators.

Lack of a link to the article, also, did not help.

With the MSM pushing the blogosphere as it does - an alternative media, one would think - am I the only one with questions? In contrast, it is a rare reference to any Web message board you'll encounter, if at all.

[ 25 February 2006: Message edited by: skeptikool ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 February 2006 12:49 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arts and Letters Daily

The Financial Times article.

I'll read this before posting further, though in truth I've not given blogging all that much thought.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca