babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » How the Western Standard responded to Readers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: How the Western Standard responded to Readers
AWd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11919

posted 16 February 2006 10:19 AM      Profile for AWd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This showed up in the inboxes of Western Standard Readers. They are clearly desperate...

"Dear Western Standard reader,
By now you have probably heard about our decision to publish the Danish cartoons -- those same cartoons that have been the excuse for riots around the world.
We believe that reprinting the cartoons is essential to properly telling that news story, which is why we did it. We also published them as a symbol of our freedom of the press, and in defiance of those around the world who would censor us through threats of violence.
I've never been more proud of our magazine.
Not everyone is happy with us, of course. A Calgary Muslim leader has reported us to the police, trying to get them to charge me with hate crimes. He has also filed a complaint against us with the human rights commission on the same grounds. Ironically, he has called our freedom of the press "intellectual terrorism".
Those are nuisance suits, of course. But the idea is to cost us money and time, break our spirit, erode our freedom of speech, and teach a lesson to all other media: that anyone who doesn't censor themselves will be made to wish they did.
The threats are working. Already, many Canadian magazine retailers who normally carry the Western Standard have caved in, announcing -- even before they see our new issue -- that they won't put us on their shelves. Again, the purpose of the censors is obvious: hurt our magazine economically, and make an example of us as a warning to all other media.
That's why I'm writing to you today: to ask for your help. Please do three things:
1. Let me know how you feel.
If you support our magazine's decision, let me know. Send me an e-mail to info@westernstandard.ca and I'll share it with the rest of our staff, to help buoy their spirits as we face this hurricane, to let them know we're not alone.
2. Encourage your local retailer to stock the Western Standard
Magazine retailers need to know that you value freedom of the press and your freedom to make up your own mind, and to not be censored by them or anyone else. Ask them to stock the magazine, or even to order it in just for you. You'll not only help us survive the boycott, but you'll put some steel in the spine of your local retailer.
3. Help us out directly.
If you're not yet a subscriber, now's the time to sign up -- a subscription is 37% cheaper than buying the magazine at the newsstand, and the money goes directly to us. If you're already a subscriber, consider renewing your subscription today, or extending your subscription, or even joining one of our clubs for enthusiasts by becoming a Sustaining Subscriber or a member of the Publisher's Circle.
You can find out more and do all of that right online, at http://www.westernstandard.ca/subscribe
It's fast, easy and secure -- and it helps us stay strong, and keep growing.
When we started the Western Standard nearly two years ago, I never imagined that we would have been at the center of a fight for our culture's basic freedoms -- or that the rest of Canada's media would be so silent, leaving us to fight this fight by ourselves.
But we're not all by ourselves. We have you.
Thank you for your help -- I look forward to your e-mails.
Yours truly,
Ezra Levant
Publisher
P.S. The best way to help us right now is to click on http://www.westernstandard.ca/subscribe"

worker_drone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4220

posted 16 February 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for worker_drone        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL! Desperate and pathetic. And he exposes the real reason he's doing all this in the link at the end of the letter.
faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 16 February 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's amusing how one way the freedom of expression works for these guys. The people using the courts, the means a civil society has to solve problems, are seen as an attack on civil liberties.( Levant =freedom fighter lol.)
Ezra is simply jumping on the bandwagon publishing inflammatory depictions based on religious intolerance from the press, contrast that with legal arguments from the Moslem horde---hmmm.
Obviously the WS is just using this to try and increase sales of their rag.

caliope
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4856

posted 16 February 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for caliope        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know who, if anyone advertises in the Western Standard? Simply not buying the magazine isn’t all that satisfying a protest since I’d never pick it up anyway but a letter or two to advertisers might make me feel better. I’m assuming it’s just Calgary real estate agents and used car dealerships but it would still give me some peace of mind.
faith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4348

posted 16 February 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for faith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah Caliope, you just reminded me of something I wanted to say about the magazines views on censorship. In all of this uproar over the decisions by media outlets to publish objectionable material I get the impression that when people react to this 'freedom' of the press by refusing to buy the dross and to pressure their favourite bookstore to not carry the offending publication, that reaction is confused with censorship.
Just as the media has the right to be assholes by publishing pointless provacative garbage, we have the right to ignore them, not support them financially, and pressure our favourite media outlets to remove them from our sight.
Freedom of speech gives you the right to speak but it doesn't guarantee you will be heard.
edited for spelling

[ 16 February 2006: Message edited by: faith ]

Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 16 February 2006 01:22 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Freedom of speech gives you the right to speak but it doesn't guarantee you will be heard.

I think the Western Standard demands to be heard.

From: Bring back Audra!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 16 February 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it was a CBC news report, about McNally Robinson stores refusing to stock the issue with the Danish cartoons, that concluded by saying the Calgary store usually sold fewer than a dozen copies. It is said to have a circulation of 40,000; let's see if it goes down or up.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
caliope
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4856

posted 16 February 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for caliope        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Levant’s all over the place with his outrage, first it was “Canadians don’t burn down embassies to show their displeasure” but nobody burned anything down in Canada.

Then “Canadians don’t make death threats when they read something they don’t like” but by his own admission nobody’s threatened him.

When a Muslim group went to the police and the Human Rights Commission he spoke out on CBC that “Canadians don’t call the police when they have a disagreement, they write letters”.

Well now that Canadians have written letters and retailers have listened apparently he doesn’t think we should do that either.

gunnar gunnarson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8547

posted 16 February 2006 02:07 PM      Profile for gunnar gunnarson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please, please, please -- can't we just stop talking about him? Attention is the oxygen he breathes. Let him rant in obscurity. In fact let's not even mention his name.
From: audra's corner | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 16 February 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quote: Please, please, please -- can't we just stop talking about him?

Talking about who?

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 16 February 2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who is John Galt?
From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 16 February 2006 02:32 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(ssssssshhhhhhhhhh, Michael! You want the Ra*dians should come out of the woodwork?!)
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 16 February 2006 02:47 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unsurprisingly, the ra*dian institute sides with Levant - "Muslim Opinion Be Damned" - in a recent op-ed where they said "America's attempts to appease 'Muslim opinion'" were depraved and suicidal.

George Bush must have missed the memo, or Cheney forgot to tell him what to think, as even Bush said, while defending freedom of speech, that people have "a responsibility to be thoughtful about others."

Funny, I didn't think launching a war in the middle east was an effective form of appeasement, but I guess it certainly is Ra*dian.

From: Vancouver Kingway - Democracy In Peril | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 16 February 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Watkins:
... they said "America's attempts to appease 'Muslim opinion'" were depraved and suicidal.

You mean like when Ann Coulter tours America encouraging violence against [disparaging term omitted because even ironic racism is frowned on here] and receives boisterous applause and gets her picture on the cover of Time magazine? That kind of appeasement?

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 16 February 2006 03:40 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unsurprisingly, the ra*dian institute sides with Levant - "Muslim Opinion Be Damned"...

The Hell you say. All clichés are true: wonders will never cease.

Now, to be fair, I can imagine the ra*dian institute defending "freedom of speech" even were the cartoons anti-Christian or anti-Semitic. They're known for a certain kind of consistency.

Of course, they're also known for providing proof that a certain kind of consistency is indistinguishable from a certain kind of stark, staring, daylight madness. As if we needed such proof.

[ 16 February 2006: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 16 February 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Please, please, please -- can't we just stop talking about him? Attention is the oxygen he breathes. Let him rant in obscurity. In fact let's not even mention his name.
That was my opinion at first, but this issue is not going to simply go away. These jerks need to be heard loud and clear for being the kooks they are. As each distributor decides to pass on this pile of trash, the WS looks more and more extreme.
quote:
Levant’s all over the place with his outrage, first it was “Canadians don’t burn down embassies to show their displeasure” but nobody burned anything down in Canada.
Then “Canadians don’t make death threats when they read something they don’t like” but by his own admission nobody’s threatened him.

When a Muslim group went to the police and the Human Rights Commission he spoke out on CBC that “Canadians don’t call the police when they have a disagreement, they write letters”.

Well now that Canadians have written letters and retailers have listened apparently he doesn’t think we should do that either.

A great post. Maybe this just shows that the folks at WS are out of touch with Canada. They think that hatred sells, but it appears that few are buying.

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 16 February 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have this fantasy where Coulter and Rachel Marsden, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, David Frum and yes lets include Ezra - are all spirited off to some other planet or remote island, left to populate a new master-race, and that the TV networks turn it into a new form of reality TV.

I predict they kill each other within a single season but not before at least half of them start a religious war chanting "Death to the Other Side".

eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 16 February 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You painted a grand picture of that island. Would it have coco"nuts", for athrowing...
caliope
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4856

posted 16 February 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for caliope        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would be fun to watch. One would horde the food, one water, another would have the copyright on fire. They’d all end up dying of hunger, thirst and exposure respectively. Ezra might be left to write about it but alas like in real life nobody would read it.
Cartman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7440

posted 16 February 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Cartman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eau:
You painted a grand picture of that island. Would it have coco"nuts", for athrowing...
And they would fight over the last box of cereal going "cuckoo for cocoa puffs". They would be "one sandwich short of a picnic"...and...

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 16 February 2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this Island of the Ultra Right Nuts deserves a thread of its own, where we contribute to the story line. Maybe we can sell it as a concept to CTV or FOX.

I hereby grant permission to appropriate my fantasy and start up a new thread if so inclined. I'll be back later.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 16 February 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And they would fight over the last box of cereal going "cuckoo for cocoa puffs".

But long before that point, Bill, Rush, David and Ezra would get into a massive brawl, or perhaps a pair of one-on-one fights, over who was entitled to "breed" with Anne and/or Rachel, and...

Yeeesh. I just got this queasy sensation. Y'all will excuse me a few minutes, I hope?

Michael Watkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11256

posted 16 February 2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Michael Watkins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After a dizzy night of agreeing with each other as to the fate of the Middle East ("nuke-em, danno!"), the shipwrecked neanderthal-conservatives suddenly found their life was without purpose.

Without Paul Begala to beat upon, without their ceremonial John Kerry Dartboard, without their cherished Jacques Chirac Punch-O-Rama (the one that lights up for each solid hit) punching bag... the castaways truly were lost.

So, they took to mating, well, those that survived the head butting at least, and what evil blond-haired and corpulent offspring came forth from their loins.

[ 16 February 2006: Message edited by: Michael Watkins ]

Pyed Typer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12033

posted 17 February 2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Pyed Typer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Watkins:
. . . So, they took to mating, well, those that survived the head butting at least . . .

Barring twins that would limit the next generation on the Island of Shipwrecked Neanderthals to four, since immediately after mating with Bill, David, Rush, or Ezra, Coulter would bite off their head.

[ 17 February 2006: Message edited by: Pyed Typer ]

From: Somewhere ahead of the rats | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca