babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » Heather Mallick has left the Globe

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Heather Mallick has left the Globe
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 03 December 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A friend just called to say Heather is a guest on CBC's Go right now, and just dropped this bomb. Anyone know any more?
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 03 December 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She wrote me during the week to say she had quit The Globe. I'm hoping we will still be able to make arrangements to have her on rabble.ca.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 03 December 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did she say why? Was it over the 'gormless' piece?
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 03 December 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I asked her if the "gormless" piece was the straw that broke the column's back. Haven't heard back.
I have known other people who have left The Globe and it often seems to be a cumulative effect -- just a build-up of writerly and creative frustration.

I hasten to add that these are my own impressions and I'm not attributing them to others.

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 03 December 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So...What reason is there for me to read the Globe & Mail now?
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 03 December 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Salutin?

I'll be interested to see what Mallick chooses to do next.

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 December 2005 03:56 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She must have had her good reasons but I'm sad.

She made a very telling comment about inane columnists (Leah, Rebecca...) writing about pubic hair and such rubbish.

(Not that pubic hair is rubbish, mind you, but you get the idea)...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 03 December 2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fern hill:
Did she say why? Was it over the 'gormless' piece?

I dont know what article this is refering to. Can someone give me a link to it, or tell me what the actual title its under on Rabble?

From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 03 December 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right here
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 03 December 2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papal Bull:
So...What reason is there for me to read the Globe & Mail now?
That's basically what one of the other Go guests asked. It was a good show today, prominently featuring wills and cut-off fingers.

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 03 December 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ack, this is very sad, I agree.

Heather was one of about three Globe columnists I actually enjoyed reading on a regular basis. I'd be very interested to hear if it was in fact the cuts made to her 'gormless' piece that was the impetus.

Well, there is always Rick Salutin...

From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 03 December 2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone know what is in store for Heather now? Is she just going to lay low for awhile, or will she continue writing? I do beleive that she occasionally babbles.
From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 04 December 2005 01:12 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon:
Right here

Heather wrote:

quote:
Every publication has a gormless reporter, often several. This person is stupid, but handy.

So I looked it up, and was curious to note:

quote:
gorm·less    (gôrmls)
adj. Chiefly British

Lacking intelligence and vitality; dull.
---------
[From dialectal gawm, sense, from Middle English gome, notice, from Old Norse gaumr.]

But it never answered the question that struck me right off... what's the opposite? Gormful?

Questions like these keep me up at night.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
candle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3103

posted 04 December 2005 01:44 AM      Profile for candle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I read that gormless piece last Saturday and then turned the page to read Marcus Gee's attack on Robert Fisk, I couldn't see how Heather could possibly stay with the Globe & Mail with a gormless editorial board chairman wrting shite about Fisk similar to what the gormless reporter at the Guardian did to Chomsky.
sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 04 December 2005 01:56 AM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
But it never answered the question that struck me right off... what's the opposite? Gormful?

Accoding to the OED, gaum-like would be the closest thing to an opposite:

quote:
Mrs. Gaskell: Sylvia's L. II. 21 She were a poor, friendless wench..but honest and gaum-like.
The adjective means 'having an intelligent look.'

'gormless' itself is from derived from the obsolete word 'gome,' meaning 'heed, attention, notice, care.'

'gome' itself is adapted from Old Norse 'gaumr,' which means 'care' or 'heed.'

Sorry for the pedantry: I'm procrastinating by playing around with the OED online.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 04 December 2005 02:13 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are other examples of words that occur only in privative or negative form. E.g. reckless, which means heedless, (to "reck someone's rede" is to heed their advice); or "gainsay", meaning "deny, contradict", which today generally survives in negative contexts or set phrases ("a claim not to be gainsaid", "there is no gainsaying it" etc.).

[ 04 December 2005: Message edited by: rasmus raven ]

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 04 December 2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ooooo... a pedant drift... I love those.

And rasmus, don't forget "ruthless"...

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 04 December 2005 02:37 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else find the title of this thread disturbing?
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 04 December 2005 02:51 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Heather *can* be really outre when she sets her mind to it...
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 04 December 2005 03:25 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kurichina:
Does anyone else find the title of this thread disturbing?
Actually, I thought maybe she had become an astronaut.

rinne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9117

posted 04 December 2005 04:43 AM      Profile for rinne     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear that. One less reason to pick up the Globe and Mail. I do hope we will continue to find her on rabble.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 December 2005 08:31 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sgm, if you're still playing around with the OED, can you see a related meaning for gome that is something close to, just, "a guy," as in a person, although maybe a particularly vital or heedful one, I dunno ... I'm just remembering that in Sir Gawayn and the Grene Knyght, the green knight is sometimes a green gome (unless I was just mistranslating).
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 04 December 2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why am I NOT surprised?

I read both versions of the story Heather wrote - the one in the Globe and the one in rabble.ca. A bad feeling came over me: "I've seen this/been there before." So if that episode was the final straw, I can commiserate. Its getting to the point where mainstream journalism is so antithetical to progressive thought and not offending sacred cows that you really can't do it anymore in that venue. I'm surprised that Linda McQuaig gets away with as much as she does, although I suppose the Star is a different situation. But columnists like that are rarer birds nowadays which makes the situation all that much sadder.

It points up how critical rabble.ca is to continue to get this kind of writing out there.

I hope she lands up somewhere with a national audience in print. If the Star was smart, they'd grab her.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 04 December 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And yet, AE, Linda no longer does a stand-alone column in The Star. She is paired with Rondi Adamson who puts forth a right-wing argument to counter Linda's progressive views. This is a way of weakening a viewpoint but it also implies that complex subjects can be dealt with by a "she says -- she says" method.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 December 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rondi Adamson?!? Good night.

I don't see the Star, so I had no idea that was happening. Someone there equates Linda McQuaig and Rondi Adamson?

Rondi is just another version of Leah McLaren and Rebecca whazzername. How can she be paired with McQuaig?

Wow. Are our papers on a race to the bottom, or what?

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 04 December 2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have heard The Star has changed quite dramatically since its change in management. (I don't see it on a regular basis either.)

But certainly, skdadl, your description of Rondi rings true to what I've seen there.

I used to do a CBC TV political panel here in the Maritimes. Each week, three of us were given a couple of topics that we'd be discussing.

One of the panellists always asked the producers, "What's Sharon going to be saying?" That determined where he would stand on the issue.

He made no secret of this -- he figured that what they wanted was "good television."

I can't imagine that Linda would ever do her work this way -- but I think there are others who do.

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 04 December 2005 08:25 PM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
sgm, if you're still playing around with the OED, can you see a related meaning for gome that is something close to, just, "a guy," as in a person, although maybe a particularly vital or heedful one, I dunno ... I'm just remembering that in Sir Gawayn and the Grene Knyght, the green knight is sometimes a green gome (unless I was just mistranslating).

Hi skdadl,

Both words show up as 'gome' at some point in their history, but the etymologies are different, according to OED.

The 'gome' that means 'man' in SGGK comes from OE 'guma,' which means a 'man.' (If you follow the etymology back to pre-Teutonic, the word's ancestor is cognate with Latin 'homo.') OE 'guma' survives in PDE 'bridegroom.'

Speaking of SGGK, I also like 'freke' as a word meaning 'a man or a knight': 'Therfore to answare watz arghe mony athel freke' (241); 'Therefore many a noble knight was afraid to answer [The Green Knight's challenge].'

Apologies for the thread drift. I should say that I agree with other posters that Heather Mallick's departure is a real loss to Globe readers.

From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 04 December 2005 08:45 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And yet, AE, Linda no longer does a stand-alone column in The Star. She is paired with Rondi Adamson who puts forth a right-wing argument to counter Linda's progressive views. This is a way of weakening a viewpoint but it also implies that complex subjects can be dealt with by a "she says -- she says" method.

Oh fer crying out loud!

CAN'T have a progressive voice unchallenged on either side of the border in the mainstream press anymore, eh?

I think this similar to what I've noticed in several US papers where Molly Ivins is coupled with Ann Coulter. At first I thought it was coincidence but I am beginning to think that their syndicate sells them together like that as sort of a left-right package.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 04 December 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And yet, AE, Linda no longer does a stand-alone column in The Star. She is paired with Rondi Adamson who puts forth a right-wing argument to counter Linda's progressive views.

Some weeks, she runs as part of that feature. Other weeks, she's on her own. I think it depends on the topic.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 05 December 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you can call what Roni does "challenging" ... I had a 26 week subscription for $1 a week, and was for a long time meaning to write in to the star to say that it's one thing to provide a reasoned counterpoint to a view point, but this Roni person is so far off the mark when it comes to "reasoned" debate that it is impossible to read past the first paragraph of any of her crap. sure the eye rolling was good exercise, but the raise in blood pressure was just not worth it. ... but them my subscription ran out ... I was offered another 26 or 52 week subscription for $1 a week, but I figured that the star had degraded far too much, and didn't bother to take them up on the offer.

Most of her stuff is just out and out lies. Why they let her publish this stuff has me stumped.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 06 December 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Someone -- someone like Jack -- should pay Heather a call and remind her...

(Well, okay, he's NDP, so scratch the second part... but I wonder if Heather would consider it? She would be SO totally awesome!)

Paul Gross
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3576

posted 06 December 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Paul Gross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mallick did write this near the end of the aforementioned gormless column:

quote:
So I shall do my best for Canada and send the New Democratic Party a cheque.

I was a little surprised that a Globe and Mail column would include such a bluntly partisan remark so maybe she would be interested.

From: central Centretown in central Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
up
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9143

posted 06 December 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for up     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would be interesting Heph. Wouldnt putting her up against Ignatief so sweet?

what troubles me most about rondi in the Star is that McQuaig doesn't 'beat' her most weeks. In her columns (not books columns) McQuaig needs more hard numbers. She gets out-researched most weeks.

[ 06 December 2005: Message edited by: up ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 December 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sgm:

Speaking of SGGK, I also like 'freke' as a word meaning 'a man or a knight': 'Therfore to answare watz arghe mony athel freke' (241); 'Therefore many a noble knight was afraid to answer [The Green Knight's challenge].'

Aha. I see also there the source for another modern English word: arghe, as in "Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhh!"

About Rondi: As I say, I haven't read her in the Star, but when I used to read her in the Notional Pest, she was writing Bridget Jones stuff. Paired off with McQuaig? That does not compute; it just does not.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 06 December 2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sooooooooo........ would Heather consider running for the NDP? Has anyone approached her? I think she'd be a natural fit, and a real asset to the party. Anyone else like the idea?
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 06 December 2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:

Most of her stuff is just out and out lies. Why they let her publish this stuff has me stumped.

I think you answered your question. Presumably, they want her particular brand of out and out lie published.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
spatrioter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2299

posted 06 December 2005 08:33 PM      Profile for spatrioter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to an email from Heather to Antonia Zerbisias:
quote:
My reason was that I had asked that a column be pulled last Friday and the Globe refused.

I had written a column on the Guardian's deplorable and grotesque libel of Noam Chomsky. The handling editor then said I had to repeat the libel. I said that it was libellous to repeat a libel, as any editor should know. I waited to see the final version (I had my editor's word that I always get to see a final version) and on Friday morning was horrified to find that the column had gone to the printer without my having seen it. I said pull it. The Globe refused.

My column runs Sundays on rabble.ca, a great website. I sent them my original version.

That's the dispute.

I am a great admirer of Prof. Chomsky. I think he is the modern Orwell and the moral point mattered a great deal to me, more than anything. Obviously.

Antonia's blog

[ 06 December 2005: Message edited by: spatrioter ]

From: Trinity-Spadina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uncleari
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11660

posted 10 January 2006 01:45 PM      Profile for uncleari     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What follows is Edward Greenspon's response to a query regarding Ms. Mallick's departure. Not sure how widely this has been circulated:

Thank you for your note about Heather Mallick.

We all have enjoyed her Focus column, which is why we published it over the past number of years. Unfortunately, Heather decided she cannot work with any among our pool of Focus editors, and so resigned her commission. We regret that decision, but, no matter how talented, one cannot make unreasonable demands, run down colleagues in public and issue ultimatums.

We will endeavour to find the best replacement possible, someone who also writes with zest and sting on a variety of topics.

Thank you again for writing - and reading.

Ed Greenspon

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 10 January 2006 02:20 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
no matter how talented, one cannot make unreasonable demands, run down colleagues in public and issue ultimatums.

Oh, dear, Mr Greenspon. Naughty naughty.

Vague, overgeneral, unsupported references to purportedly bad behaviour - tsk, tsk. Gossip much, Mr Greenspon?

I wonder whether Heather is aware that her former boss is behaving this way.

Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 10 January 2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
would Heather consider running for the NDP? Has anyone approached her? I think she'd be a natural fit, and a real asset to the party. Anyone else like the idea?

I second the motion. Unless she's too busy writing a book, or doing something equally constructive. I hear there's a vacancy at Harvard's Centre for Human Rights Policy.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
pookie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11357

posted 10 January 2006 04:29 PM      Profile for pookie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uncleari:
What follows is Edward Greenspon's response to a query regarding Ms. Mallick's departure. ...no matter how talented, one cannot make unreasonable demands, run down colleagues in public and issue ultimatums.

I can't believe THAT's the Globe's response to Mallick fans! Something smells fishy.

From: there's no "there" there | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
leftcoastguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5232

posted 23 February 2006 01:51 PM      Profile for leftcoastguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yet another Post post

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca