babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » are we the Walrus??

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: are we the Walrus??
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 18 September 2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030917/WALRUS17//?query=havel
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 18 September 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Other intrepid editors and publishers, of course, have dared to walk this perilous terrain before; the ground is scattered with their forgotten tearsheets. Even now, magazines like Saturday Night, Montreal-based Maisonneuve and Vancouver-based Geist, are prospecting the same high-brow, Harper's-North territory. No one is getting rich.

Rich, as it happens, is not The Walrus's goal -- it's an entirely non-profit operation. But what makes its backers more optimistic about success -- and what may make it a more durable long-distance runner -- is the $5-million that's been pledged by the Chawkers Foundation, run by the family of Walrus publisher Ken Alexander, and by the George Cedric Metcalf Charitable Foundation. Each has anted up $2.5-million over five years.

What makes the Walrus different? The article says money, but maybe Toronto-centrism has a lot to do with it too. The hype for this publication is astonishing. The way Geist, Maisonneuve etc get ignored by the Toronto cultural establishment is even more astonishing -- the Globe will only mentions them in the context of The Walrus.

Geist

Maisonneuve new issue

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 September 2003 12:46 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some of us have given Geist very good press on babble -- although probably not often enough.

Get Geist!

Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 18 September 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are the Eggman!
From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 18 September 2003 01:18 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kookachu.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 18 September 2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The contents of the premier issue are a tightly held secret, but they do include a 10,000-word investigative article for which The Walrus is said to have paid $25,000.

!!!

i wonder what topic the 10 000 word thing is on. here, have an annual salary for one article, it's on us. are there any walruses (walrii?) among us who can give us a hint ... two words, first word, sounds like?

i don't have a strong sense of what the walrus is about. like "this magazine", ok, lola (RIP), ok, maisonneuve (praise be), ok. but what does "harpers north" mean?

i guess we'll see where it goes after 3 issues.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 September 2003 01:23 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ronb:
Kookachu.

I thought that was Koo-kookachu.

ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 18 September 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cutbacks. We've outsourced production to an Asian sweatshop that also manufactures Pokemon, so we're saving on letters.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 18 September 2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i find it odd that no one is talking about the design of the walrus. i'm curious. will it be big, small, glossy/matt, tiny type, photo essays?
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 18 September 2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At our house, we received a mailing about The Walrus. In the section where they tell us about their "deep pockets" which will allow them five years to build reputation, readership and support, they say:
quote:
Our resources will also permit The Walrus to be a good-looking, glossy, colourful magazine where art, photography and design will play a crucial role.

No doubt some of you know that rabble's former editor, The Rundler, is now at The Walrus.

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 18 September 2003 08:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have met The Walrus, and he is us.

quote:
No doubt some of you know that rabble's former editor, The Rundler, is now at The Walrus.

Damn. I'm jealous. Anyway, how do I subscribe?

[ 18 September 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 18 September 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the mailing, the first issue is offered free. If you like it, you can then subscribe: $29.75, all taxes included -- nine more issues, for 10 in all.

WALRUS
PO BOX 26405 STN BRM B
TORONTO ON M7Y 4R1

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 18 September 2003 10:15 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why is it that the Globe & Mail only mentions Harpers and Atlantic Monthly in the context of Walrus?

I know those publications, unlike Geist or Mainsovvre(sp!), can be located around my humble abode, but...

swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 21 September 2003 08:24 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Expectations high for Walrus

quote:
Adds Berlin: "A magazine is not just a product but a player in creating a way of life and a culture. It does say something about this country if it (Walrus) fails."

This crystalizes what's been bugging me about the Walrus hype machine. Why does it say something about this country if The Walrus fails? Wouldn't it rather say something about the Walrus?

I'd say arguably it said something about this country that Canadian Forum, once the most important magazine in Canada, was allowed to die. But the Walrus is no more "Canada" than This Magazine, or rabble for that matter.

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 29 September 2003 06:16 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so, have people read it yet? i'm in britain, so it's still in the mail to me ...
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 02 October 2003 06:33 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bob likes it, sort of:
http://tinyurl.com/pk5c

[ 03 October 2003: Message edited by: Geneva ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 02 October 2003 01:21 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geneva, may I introduce you to TinyURL?
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 03 October 2003 06:11 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
done:
http://tinyurl.com/pk5c

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 05 October 2003 06:23 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't read Bob Fulford's opinion of it, mostly because life is too short to read Bob Fulford, about whom I learned a funny quote the other day -- "Bob Fulford's head is so far up the ass of the Canadian establishment, he can see the heels of Peter Newman." Anyhoo, I'm not surprised if Bob F. likes it -- far from being a radical departure, the mag, certainly the lead article, strikes me as vintage Fulford-era Saturday Night. I haven't had a chance to read most of the magazine yet -- absorbed in the election campaign. I'll write up an opinion when I do.

Eye Magazine is making tossed Walrus salad. Ouch.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
candle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3103

posted 05 October 2003 07:40 PM      Profile for candle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I picked it up at my local Coles but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. However, the young lady serving me mentioned to her co-worker something to the effect that "this magazine sure is popular". Given that I live in a small city (around 40,000) and this store was in a regional mall serving around 100,000 and that there is also a Chapters big box attached to the mall where most people would buy their magazines - it strikes me that the magazine's first issue is doing well.

Also, Berlin is a former NDP candidate - so hopefully it be a lot better than Saturday Night was in its dying years after Black and Whtye destroyed it.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 28 October 2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just received my free introductory issue and I have to say that I'm impressed. The expose on Paul Martin was outstanding (that's all I've had time to read) and I like the rest of the menu as well. I think I'll send them a cheque for my subscription.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 28 October 2003 08:41 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dammit, I have a subscription (birthday gift) and I STILL haven't got it. My birthday was a month ago. Oy, veh iz mir.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca