babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » "Due To The Tragic Events Of September 11th"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Due To The Tragic Events Of September 11th"
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 20 May 2002 05:52 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Google finds this phrase used 902 times, so far.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 May 2002 03:27 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, googling on "in the wake of Sept. 11" brings up about 10,500 hits, and "after Sept. 11" about 115,000.

They'll blame any damn thing on Sept. 11. It makes sense, kind of, that airshows are cancelled (insurance rates having gone up by several multiples). It makes no sense whatsoever that the Alberta government should use it as the excuse for cutting education expenditures.

We should have a thread on "the most shameless invocation of Sept. 11." Oh wait, I guess this could be that thread.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 May 2002 03:30 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I had a "boggle" emoticon I'd use it here because the bizarreness factor is beginning to reach dangerous proportions in regard to the blame-it-on-Sept-11th trend.

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 24 May 2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rice Crispies go soggy in milk because of September 11. We're through the looking-glass here people!
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 May 2002 07:33 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Google search results for "then the terrorists win"

Google search results for "then the terrorists will have won"

Google search results for "September 11 happened because"

Say, this is fun!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
grasshopper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2330

posted 24 May 2002 07:49 PM      Profile for grasshopper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
forty seven entries for ... sept 11 tulips and gravy .
From: henry dargers attic | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 24 May 2002 10:43 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
However, at the opposite end I treasure a message from a close friend in NYC who is a journalist at the UN and often worked at the WTC (Bloomberg news was there), after hours sick with worry. He described making his way home through the dust, confusion and horror. A friend of his just got out alive.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 May 2002 12:34 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I treasure this account by Sarah Bunting, who runs Tomato Nation.

No-one's making fun of what happened, or of people's experiences. But to exploit it for the shabbiest and most ludicrous purposes... that deserves a good Bronx cheer.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 May 2002 01:47 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard two more tacky references to September the 11th on the radio this morning... It is really used for everything and nothing.

Jan Wong gave a well-deserved skewering in the Globe today to the author of Prozac Nation, who not only "felt nothing" as she watched the buildings come down but saw it as an aesthetic experience. Of course one never knows how one will react to disaster at the time, it may be a normal "fight-or-flight" reaction to feel numb. An Argentinean friend of mine witnessed the AMIA bombing in 1994, but was very shaken afterwards, if not immediately, it was too unreal.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 25 May 2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that was awful -- but the hands-down winner for tackiness is Gerald Hannon in Toronto's NOW Magazine, who talked about 9/11 as a sexual experience, complete with fantasies of giving blowjobs to the firefighters. Unfortunately (or rather, fortunately), the article doesn't appear to be online -- it showed up a few weeks ago.
From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca