FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » Thomas Friedman: barf

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Thomas Friedman: barf
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 20 May 2002 03:11 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our problem is we're too pure and good

quote:
Imagining evil of this magnitude simply does not come naturally to the American character, which is why, even after we Americans are repeatedly confronted with it, we keep reverting to our natural, naïvely optimistic selves. Because our open society is so much based on trust, and that trust is so hard-wired into the American character, we can't get rid of it - even when we so obviously should.

[...]

But given the increasingly lethal nature of terrorism, we are going to have to adapt. We need an "Office of Evil," whose job would be to constantly sift all intelligence

Gee I wonder if there might be a problem with delusion and a maddening lack of self-criticism too...

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 May 2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An Office of Evil! HAHAHA

Wouldn't that be the Oval Office at the moment? After all...Dubya is the Antichrist!

But seriously...

He's got an interesting point about weaning Americans off oil dependence. But don't you love the way he says, "Such a project would not only have made us safer by making us independent of countries that share none of our values..."

Yeah, right buddy. Everyone except for Americans and Europeans are eeeeeevil. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.

I also love the way he thinks it's a great idea to use people's desire to do the right thing environmentally in order to push his agenda of hating people from the middle east:

quote:
It would also have made us safer by giving the world a much stronger reason to support our war on terrorism. There is no way we can be successful in this war without partners, and there is no way America will have lasting partners, especially in Europe, unless it is perceived as being the best global citizen it can be. And the best way to start conveying that would be by reducing our energy gluttony and ratifying the Kyoto treaty to reduce global warming.

So let's not ratify Kyoto because it's the right thing to do or to save the environment - let's ratify it because it will trick those other idiots in the world to support us in our quest to demonize people from the Middle East.

Say, great plan Friedman.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 22 May 2002 12:20 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you liked the Friedman, you'll appreciate John Derbyshire on why the US will not go to war with Iraq.

"Ministry of Evil." John Ashcroft, Minister.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 22 May 2002 02:28 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire050902.asp
Another Derbyshire column. How he wants the Palestinians to be expelled or something. "It's good for them! Hurrah!"

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 22 May 2002 06:13 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mr. Derbyshire is also an NR contributing editor

... and is therefore a vicious racist moron.

I just read the other article. He seems to think that Thatcher's Argentinian escapade was a glorious chapter in human history. He's even more stupid than PJ O'Rourke, and I didn't think that was possible.

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: ronb ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 22 May 2002 06:40 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He seems to think that Thatcher's Argentinian escapade was a glorious chapter in human history.

Jorge Luis Borges' description of this episode remains the best: "two bald men fighting over a comb."

As for O'Rourke, someone once tried to convince me that he merely pretended to be dumb and right-wing as a Swiftian satirical tactic. I'd barely ever read O'Rourke at the time, and could only nod dumbly. In retrospect, I wonder what happened to this person's critical faculties.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca