FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » the media   » Bias in the News

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bias in the News
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sat in front of the TV tonight, watching the Daily Lie with Chromedome Mansbridge, when I heard a couple of shocking quotes.

The news item in question was the latest suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. Chromedome blandly states, "After a month of quiet inside Israël..." and then tells about the bombing. Later, another reporter claimed that the region had just gone through a month of peace, until this terrorist attack occurred.

I couldn't believe it.

Chromedome himself has been reporting on an Israëli invasion there for the past month, yet he can say that this bombing has interrupted a month of peace!

This is incredible. It's "peace" as long as only Palestinians are under attack?

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 May 2002 02:39 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have just been introduced to that marvel called doublethink.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*cough* didn't we dissect Orwell once before?

People just let this swill pass over them without batting an eye? This is very doubleplusnotgood.

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 08 May 2002 08:51 AM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, just in time for my English media project on news websites. I have 10 minutes.

That is bad news.
(The doublethink).

Though if you consider the West Bank and Gaza not to be part of Israel, then the part about peace inside Israel was true.

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 11:56 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This morning on CBC Radio news I heard, "After nearly a month of calm in the region..."
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shelagh Rodgers (Rogers?), in talking to Neil McDonald this morning, asked if the suicide bombing will affect the peace process.

Apparently the month-long Israëli invasion of the West Bank, with the ensuing destruction of the civilian infrastructure there, not to mention the untold deaths, was an extension of an olive branch.

I don't even think this is a deliberate bias; it's just the manifestation of an unconscious assumption based on decades of propaganda.

Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 08 May 2002 03:32 PM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
*cough* didn't we dissect Orwell once before?

It never hurts to bring up Orwell. He was right about everything that ever mattered, and his analysis still seems fresh -- sometimes strikingly so.

Here's Orwell in his 1941 essay, "The Lion and the Unicorn":

quote:
The mentality of the English left-wing intelligentsia can be studied in half a dozen weekly and monthly papers. The immediately striking thing about all these papers is their generally negative, querulous attitude, their complete lack at all times of any constructive suggestion. There is little in them except the irresponsible carping of people who have never been and never expect to be in a position of power. Another marked characteristic is the emotional shallowness of people who live in a world of ideas and have little contact with physical reality. Many intellectuals of the Left were flabbily pacifist up to 1935, shrieked for war against Germany in the years 1935-9, and then promptly cooled off when the war started. It is broadly though not precisely true that the people who were most ‘anti-Fascist’ during the Spanish Civil War are most defeatist now. And underlying this is the really important fact about so many of the English intelligentsia - their severance from the common culture of the country.

And this is even better:

quote:
England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always anti-British. It is questionable how much effect this had, but it certainly had some. If the English people suffered for several years a real weakening of morale, so that the Fascist nations judged that they were ‘decadent’ and that it was safe to plunge into war, the intellectual sabotage from the Left was partly responsible.

Amazing stuff.

From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 08 May 2002 03:54 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like Babblers to me ...
From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Parviz Mirbaghi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 289

posted 08 May 2002 07:09 PM      Profile for Parviz Mirbaghi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arch Stanton:

quote:

The news item in question was the latest suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. Chromedome blandly states, "After a month of quiet inside Israël..." and then tells about the bombing. Later, another reporter claimed that the region had just gone through a month of peace, until this terrorist attack occurred.

I couldn't believe it.

Chromedome himself has been reporting on an Israëli invasion there for the past month, yet he can say that this bombing has interrupted a month of peace!

This is incredible. It's "peace" as long as only Palestinians are under attack?

Arch, I just came across your posting...welcome to the new insights club...now look into the reality in let's say Gaza. The Palestinian population, probably hundreds of thousands are crammed into 70% of the area while a few thousand Jews are in the remaining area...remember,in capitalism money talks and justice means the square root of the well known phrase!

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More than hundreds of thousands, I've heard the population is over one million.
Parviz Mirbaghi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 289

posted 08 May 2002 07:44 PM      Profile for Parviz Mirbaghi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arch, you are probably right abou Gaza's Palestinian population, I was being very conservative because I don't have the statistics. By the way, if I am not mistaken, the area is also surrounded by barbed wire.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 08 May 2002 08:03 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
if I am not mistaken, the area is also surrounded by barbed wire.

That's what Neil MacDonald says. He called Gaza an open-air prison.

nate
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 661

posted 09 May 2002 10:24 AM      Profile for nate     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before we lash out at the media for bias, it might be an idea to look at what Mansbridge said.

>"Chromedome blandly states, "After a month of >quiet inside Israël..."

As far as I am aware, the West Bank is not officially considered part of Israel. Even mainstream news commentators make a point of referring to it as occupied territory.

Therefore, Mansbridge is entirely correct to say that there's been a "month of quiet inside Israel."

Nate H.
Toronto, ON

SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 09 May 2002 12:23 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But by the same token, the others were wrong when referring to peace in the region.
From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
grasshopper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2330

posted 09 May 2002 03:26 PM      Profile for grasshopper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if we could see a map that acurately reflects the reality of the west bank we would notice that ...

the region has three different classifications of areas, one area is the region that Palestinians have some semblance of autonomy over. These areas are scattered throughout the entire west bank in small pockets, and from having seen the map I was surprised at just how little area it was . I had ignorantly assumed that the west bank, aside from the illegal settlements, was entirely palestinian . My estimate would be that the areas of autonomy were well less than ten percent - closer to three or four percent . The next region was stated, as I remember, as 70 percent of the west bank, this area is entirely under Israeli control and surrounds every pocket of Palestinian "autonomy". It is heavily policed .The third area is much larger than the small pockets where there are palestinian enclaves ... these are the illegal israeli settlements and their surrounding farms . I would estimate this area to triple in land area, that considered the palestinian autonomous region .
The map was a real wake-up .
I saw it on a documentary that aired on cbc a few monthes ago .

From: henry dargers attic | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spring Hope
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 417

posted 16 May 2002 02:17 PM      Profile for Spring Hope     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everyone in Israel saw the mammoth peach rally which took place in Tel Aviv last Saturday. It numbered between 60 - 100,000. A formidable event I would say, considering the present circumstances. But did you hear about it?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 16 May 2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard about it. I just wonder what they did with all the peaches.

ARGH! Sorry, I'm just in a silly mood today.

Seriously, I did hear about the peace rally over the weekend. But then, I heard it on CBC Radio, which from what I hear is usually a lot better and thorough at news reporting than CBC Newsworld and the corporate media.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 16 May 2002 03:50 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like peach pie.

Can anyone provide a URL re: That Big Rally?

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 17 May 2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Before we lash out at the media for bias, it might be an idea to look at what Mansbridge said.
>"Chromedome blandly states, "After a month of >quiet inside Israël..."

As far as I am aware, the West Bank is not officially considered part of Israel. Even mainstream news commentators make a point of referring to it as occupied territory.

Therefore, Mansbridge is entirely correct to say that there's been a "month of quiet inside Israel."

Being factually correct has not always been a prerequisate here. Sometimes this place reminds me of the "Frank Magazine" motto, We strive for 50% accuracy

Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 17 May 2002 03:27 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The map was a real wake-up .
I saw it on a documentary that aired on cbc a few monthes ago .

Oooo then it must be right!!

grasshopper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2330

posted 17 May 2002 04:18 PM      Profile for grasshopper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lakesh,
I stated that I saw the map on television to imply that I had no way of producing it here on this forum .

I used to live in that bload-soaked heap of rocks you call jerusalem . On the via delarosa in the old city as a matter of fact . I chuckle at all your twists and turns here on this forum . You really have your work cut out for you, friend, and it makes for fine entertainment .
But what is of greater interest is the restless sleep you must suffer . No one who trys to justify bloodshed will have a moments rest .Your beloved Israel is a monster steeped in the blood of the innocents . The accumulation of two millenias worth of righteousness is being erased from the records . If you truly loved Israel you would be fighting her as a person of conscience, not disgracefully trying to justify her crimes against humanity .

The map I saw clearly shows what Israel is hiding from the world . Maybe one of the more intrepid computer users can find a map that shows the three separate categories of land in the occupied territories, their ratio and boundaries.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 17 May 2002 04:19 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if anyone has a videotape of the news segment that grasshopper refers to, I can screencap it and link to it.
grasshopper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2330

posted 17 May 2002 04:41 PM      Profile for grasshopper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DrConway, it was a documentary that aired on cbc recently . Were you not aware of the logistics of the occupied territories ? I know it came as a real shock to me . That even within the small parcel of land as the West Bank, the Palestinians only have autonomy over, well, next to nothing lets say. They are living as captives in a completely denuded environment . I am greatly dissapointed that I didn't visit West Bank or Gaza when I was there .
Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 17 May 2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
No one who trys to justify bloodshed will have a moments rest .Your beloved Israel is a monster steeped in the blood of the innocents . The accumulation of two millenias worth of righteousness is being erased from the records .
This is EXACTLY what those who love Israel are up against. Hateful rhetoric of the worst order.

grasshopper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2330

posted 17 May 2002 06:37 PM      Profile for grasshopper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no hatred in me Lakesh .
To describe as monstrosities what has befallen the Palestinian people is both accurate and sane .Equally I could say that Canada is a monster with the blood of the aboriginals on her hands or the blood of the Afghanis, and I could state something to the affect that any moral authority our nation had accrued through its years of peacekeeping have been recently bespoiled or erased . You should take a deep breath Lakesh, my friend, as I noticed in the Bishop Tutu thread that you are starting to lose your composure .

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 17 May 2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Will everyone please lighten up on Lakesh?
Riffraff
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2034

posted 17 May 2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Riffraff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Arch,

I sincerely like exchanging with Lakesh. I had said it before, for what it is worth, lakesh is polite, discusses with civility, avoids personal attacks, smart, perseverant and has a sense of humour.

Today Lakesh seemed frustrated at times but always loyal to his code of conduct.

I had really thought of writing to the same effect but you got there first.

And no, Lakesh, I am not converted to your cause or arguments ! Actually I am expecting you to surrender

Lakesh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2404

posted 18 May 2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Lakesh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And no, Lakesh, I am not converted to your cause or arguments ! Actually I am expecting you to surrender
Surrender? I do not know the meaning of the word my fiend.

Good night and Dream On................................

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 May 2002 02:09 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My fiend! hee hee

Freudian typo?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 18 May 2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard another strange one on the CBC-TV news.

Mansbridge said that US troops were fighting "rebels" in Afghanistan. When the war on Afghanistan started, from what I remember, the Taliban was the government there. Thus calling them "rebels" creates the sense that the US is defending peace, order and good government.

By the same token, the CBC always calls the Palestinians who defend their country "militants" and "gunmen."

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca