babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » international peace movement   » Chomsky interview on Radio Netherlands

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Chomsky interview on Radio Netherlands
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 19 December 2005 12:51 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Noam Chomsky was recently interviewed on the "Amsterdam Forum" programme on Radio Netherlands English language service.

quote:
Chomsky on 'military failure' in Iraq:

"The fact that an insurgency even developed in Iraq is astonishing - it's an amazing fact that the US has had more trouble controlling Iraq than the Germans had in controlling occupied Europe or the Russians had in controlling eastern Europe. They have turned it into a total catastrophe - it's one of the worst military catastrophes in history"

Here are the streaming audio links:

Real Player

Windows Media Player

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 19 December 2005 05:42 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the tip; I'm listening to it now on "CBC Radio Overnight" as I type this.
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brian White
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8013

posted 19 December 2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Brian White   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
¨it's an amazing fact that the US has had more trouble controlling Iraq than the Germans had in controlling occupied Europe or the Russians had in controlling eastern Europe¨
Calling something an amazing fact doesn´t make one.
I was amazed that they stayed. So, go figure!
How many people did they (germans and russians) have there? And how much control did they really have?
Anyway, I thought the point of invasion was to provide business for halliburton.
And they had to keep the troops to protect their contractors.
And from that point of view, it has been a very successful invasion. Check their stock price for the last 2 years.

radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 19 December 2005 08:41 PM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You need to listen to the whole interview. He talks about how the Nazis had to have a strong network of collaborators in order to maintain their occupations...such a network doesn't exist in Iraq.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 19 December 2005 08:54 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, I'm still a bit puzzled that the US didn't immediately employ Saddam's Mukhabarat when they had the chance back in the "Mission Accomplished" days.
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 19 December 2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They've been attempting to induct Iraqi's into schools for torture and murder similar to methods used with Latin American death squads during 1980's Honduras and El Salvador. John Negroponte is heading up the largest ever US foreign embassy in Iraq. The horror, the blood, rape, torture, murder, and oppression at the hands of Latin American SOA-educated right-wing death squads lives on the minds of peasants throughout Latin America.

Torture occurs in Iraq. And there is murder in Iraq, definitely. God help them.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 19 December 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes but, to radiorahim's point, Negroponte's secret police are clearly nowhere near as effective as Saddam's was. Obviously there was zero ideological difference between Rumsfeld's Pentagon and the Mukhabarat, why didn't they just rename them and employ them on the spot, like their fascist forebears would've?
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 20 December 2005 12:32 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I recall seeing a talk given by Niall Ferguson on TV Ontario about a year or so ago...Ferguson BTW is "pro-imperialist".

He was comparing the British invasion and occupation of Iraq early in the 20th century with the Bush II occupation.

He said that the British at the time understood the need to create institutions i.e. a civil service bureaucracy, schools, universities, public works etc. and that the U.S. doesn't understand this at all.

I guess the U.S. regime thought they could invade, topple Saddam, install a puppet, grab the oil and then walk...and it very clearly isn't the case.

sgm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5468

posted 28 December 2005 04:20 AM      Profile for sgm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This looks like a transcript of the interview, available over at Znet.
From: I have welcomed the dawn from the fields of Saskatchewan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
apl16
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11515

posted 29 December 2005 06:25 PM      Profile for apl16     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
thx for the link, sgm.

he yanks didn't seem to realize that they were dealing with a well educated and organized population as opposed to a latin american banana republic.

From: white rock, bc | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca