babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » international peace movement   » Online protests?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Online protests?
djwhathaveidone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3757

posted 17 February 2003 04:43 AM      Profile for djwhathaveidone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The comments below have been submitted to the online petition at: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/131489736
which links from the rabble.ca homepage as well. When I signed, there were only 46 signatures. Is that because people think online petitions don't work? If they are of any value, they certainly are a quick way to voice a collective opinion...(hint, go sign!)

Comments:
U.S. "foreign policy" has consistently demonstrated that its leaders see the value of human life in terms of dollars. If for no other reason, Canada must not support a war that will signify the complete moral degeneration of our society. If we believe that humanity is worth more than money, now is the most crucial time in history to assert that belief. Otherwise, I for one am afraid that the road we are travelling down will have no recourse.

[ 17 February 2003: Message edited by: djwhathaveidone ]

From: far and wide... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 February 2003 07:21 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Is that because people think online petitions don't work?

Yup, that's why I don't bother.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
djwhathaveidone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3757

posted 17 February 2003 08:11 AM      Profile for djwhathaveidone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh.
Is that the consensus, everyone? If so, I guess I'll focus on other activities.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 17 February 2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, I was only speaking for myself. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether they want to do it.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 17 February 2003 01:13 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I linked to =876883369&sign[memberID]=876883369&sign[partnerID]=1]this one as the 3 Minute Action this week. But I, too, don't often bother with them.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 17 February 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can any techies out there tell me if there is a way by traffic, not hacking, to bring down or bring to a crawl one of the routers on the internet?
From what I understand all internet traffic goes through something like one of eleven routers world-wide. I am I understanding this correctly?
Could we bring one router to a standstill?

It would be a non-violent way to hurt business. Not so good for peace marches, but very good for anti-globalization messages.

What about bringing down a website? This could work for a peace protest. Could enough traffic bring down the US gov't site? Or an oil web site? or CNN for unbalanced coverage?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 17 February 2003 04:55 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On principle I tend to be against such ideas, if only because I've seen what the reaction is against people who "take down" servers considered crucial.

You want to piss off everybody on IRC? Just be a packet monkey and blast off one of the EFnet hubs and crow about it. You'll get your own computer hacked 20 ways from Sunday by the week after.

Simply and fundamentally, DoS attacks do not get your point across at all.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
djwhathaveidone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3757

posted 18 February 2003 01:44 AM      Profile for djwhathaveidone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree with DrConway. Not only would you be alienating everyone, but the action itself is, in its essence, war-like and aggressive. Although technically non-violent, trying to "take down the internet" is destructive by nature, and orchestrating such an event in the name of peace would be hypocritical and misguided in my opinion. The internet is not the source of evil, nor even the U.S. government's website. It is only the medium. If however, your beef is with the internet itself, that's your choice.
quote:

Hey, I was only speaking for myself. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether they want to do it.

You're right, Michelle, and in fact I disagree with your view that online petitions don't work. I think the effectiveness of ANY petition, online or otherwise, ultimately depends on the resolve of the author and the willingness of the target to read the bloody thing. Both methods of signature collecting work on the same principle of demonstrating multitudinous support for a single cause. The verification process seems to be similar in both cases, at least as far as my experience goes. So unless I'm willing to dismiss all petitions in general as not working, I am compelled to participate in every petition that I see fit.
Whoa, someone needs to stop drinking coffee...
P.S. I just checked the petition at:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/131489736 and now there are 75 signatures!

HighBreath
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3471

posted 18 February 2003 01:56 AM      Profile for HighBreath     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
maybe we could have an internet strike...all antiwar protestors would not go online for one whole day.. lol. ah.

[ 18 February 2003: Message edited by: HighBreath ]

Tackaberry
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 487

posted 18 February 2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Tackaberry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suppose yous are right.

I was thinking that limiting internet trafic was like limiting traffic in the street. But if that is not how it will be percieved, it will be percieved as violent, than yeah it sucks.

djwhathaveidone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3757

posted 18 February 2003 11:16 PM      Profile for djwhathaveidone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have to admit, though, that the thought of being able to electronically handicap the "big machine" is alluring. I mean, historically there have been many times when violent uprising against opressive forces have been the only way out. I'd like to think we have evolved out of that, but perhaps that notion is overly romantic, if not downright arrogant. What do you think? Will those in power ever stop and say, "We have enough money. Maybe we don't need to take over the world"?
djwhathaveidone
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3757

posted 22 February 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for djwhathaveidone     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As it turns out, a massive online/virtual peace march is being organized for February 26th, 2003. Senate offices and the White House will be inundated with phone calls, faxes and emails simultaneously to grab the attention of politicians. Check out Michael Moore's website or the Win Without War Coalition website for more details.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca