babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Don't get too smug about sitting out the Iraq war

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't get too smug about sitting out the Iraq war
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 31 March 2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Three years after U.S. President George W. Bush's disastrous invasion of Iraq, Canadians are feeling smug. Every bit of grisly news from that country seems to justify our decision not to take part in Bush's so-called coalition of the willing. Yet amidst this patriotic flutter of self-congratulation, it is perhaps worth remembering that we almost took part in the American-led invasion, that in some ways we did take part, and that if Bush had been more adroit diplomatically, our troops would almost certainly still be in Iraq today.

Thomas Walkom

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 31 March 2006 12:29 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
THOMAS WALKOM
...Recall that when American forces rolled across the border into Iraq in March 2003, a significant number of Canadians thought Bush was doing the right thing....

This had nothing to do, of course, with a gullible reading public believing every word of a media gung-ho for that assault.

quote:
....It seemed to many Canadians that we had missed out, not only on a chance to do good, but on a rollicking good romp...

If those that dropped the 4,000 bombs of the opening salvoes had been made to walk around viscera, excrement and severed bodies perhaps THEY would have been "shocked and awed" into decency.

Something else we missed, if what a returning U.S. combatant seeking asylum in Canada says is true - our sports-loving troops opportunity to enjoy the friendly rivalry of a soccermatch, using an Iraqi's severed head as a football. (reported today) It is difficult to believe that such sub-human scum exists, but I doubt the story would be told if pictures didn't exist to support it.

Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 31 March 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeptikool:
Something else we missed, if what a returning U.S. combatant seeking asylum in Canada says is true - our sports-loving troops opportunity to enjoy the friendly rivalry of a soccermatch, using an Iraqi's severed head as a football. (reported today) It is difficult to believe that such sub-human scum exists, but I doubt the story would be told if pictures didn't exist to support it.

You have a source for this?

anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 31 March 2006 12:54 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah, that head-for-a-soccer-ball story made the rounds about Genghis Khan...makes for a very dull soccer game, the damned head doesn't go far when you kick it and the teeth wreck the spit and polish shine on our boots...
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skeptikool
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11389

posted 31 March 2006 01:01 PM      Profile for skeptikool        Edit/Delete Post
Aristotleded24

[/QUOTE] You have a source for this? [/QUOTE]

Not at hand - and it will an hour or so before I return to MacDonald's for my second cuppa where I can confirm - unless the papers have already been swiped.

It was in The Province and/or the Vancouver Sun - I believe both.

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 31 March 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aristotleded24:
You have a source for this?

It was on CBC radio.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca