babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Iraqi blogger up for £30,000 prize

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Iraqi blogger up for £30,000 prize
Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 28 March 2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
AN anonymous "blog" by a young Iraqi woman has been nominated for the £30,000 Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction.

Baghdad Burning is a first-hand account of how the war has destroyed the lives of ordinary Iraqi citizens.

The author, a 20-something university graduate who writes on the internet under the pseudonym Riverbend, chronicles the "three years of occupation and bloodshed" the city has endured and calls for the withdrawal of US troops.

Manchester On-Line

From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 28 March 2006 09:34 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
she's also already won 3rd prize in the Lettre Ulysses Award for the Art of Reportage 2005.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 March 2006 09:40 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good going! For the people who drew up that excellent long-list as well as for Riverbend.

This is great news politically; it is great news for bloggers; and I'm always happy to see artful non-fiction taken seriously as literature.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 28 March 2006 09:45 AM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I hate to be the party pooper but I think Steve Gilliard has a point.

quote:
If she wins this, she'll probably have to live in exile for years to come. I've always thought it would come down to this, Riverbend fleeing for her life, because the Iraq she wanted was never, ever going to happen, and her mere present in the Iraq which exists wasn't going to be viable.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 March 2006 09:47 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca