babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Growing racism in Israel

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Growing racism in Israel
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 27 March 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
68% of (Israeli) Jews would refuse to live in the same building as an Arab

quote:
Sixty-eight percent of Israeli Jews would refuse to live in the same apartment building as an Israeli Arab, according to the results of an annual poll released Wednesday by the Center for the Struggle Against Racism.

The "Index of Racism Towards Arab Palestinian Citizens of the State of Israel," conducted by Geocartographia, revealed on 26 percent of Jews in Israel would agree to live with Arab neighbors in the same building.

Forty-six percent of Jews would refuse to allow an Arab to visit their home while 50 percent would welcome an Arab visitor. Forty-one percent of Jewish support the segregation of Jews and Arabs in places of recreation and 52 percent of such Jews would oppose such a move.

quote:
Racism is becoming mainstream. When people talk about transfer or about Arabs as a demographic time-bomb, no one raises their voice against such statements. This is a worrisome phenomenon," Bachar Ouda, director of the Center for the Struggle Against Racism, said on Tuesday. The report covered the year 2005 and the center will, in the future, present monthly and bi-annual polls.

[ 27 March 2006: Message edited by: aka Mycroft ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 March 2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why not put this over here: Israeli fascists make a move
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 27 March 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Racists and segregationist sentiments seem to be held by far more people than Herut voters, if the polling is correct.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 March 2006 03:35 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well that is a good point to make. I mean the gall that Herut showed is no doubt based in increased racism in the population in general. There is also this thread here:
One racist nation

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 27 March 2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by aka Mycroft:
68% of (Israeli) Jews would refuse to live in the same building as an Arab
Do we know if this kind of social attitude is growing? Are there previous measures like this to compare it to? Perhaps this is the status quo.

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 27 March 2006 03:48 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Makwa:
Do we know if this kind of social attitude is growing? Are there previous measures like this to compare it to? Perhaps this is the status quo.

The headline was based on my assumption that things are getting worse.

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 27 March 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Also, I wonder how many Arabs would consider living under the same roof as any Jews? Let's try buying a house in Nablus and nailing a mezuzah to the door frame and see what happens when we knock on the new neighbours door and ask to borrow a cup of sugar.
Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 27 March 2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:
Also, I wonder how many Arabs would consider living under the same roof as any Jews?
I had learned that there was a long period of history when Jewish people lived in the Muslim Palestine areas in harmony with their neighbours?

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 27 March 2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Also, I wonder how many Arabs would consider living under the same roof as any Jews?

Given the disparity in housing and amenities, I bet many if not most would jump at the chance.

"Would you like to remain in the camp where your children suffer from malnutrition and the risk if getting randomly shot is great, or would you like to be my neighbour in quiet West Jerusalem?"

I'm guessing, but that sounds like a lottery win to me.

From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 March 2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Makwa:
I had learned that there was a long period of history when Jewish people lived in the Muslim Palestine areas in harmony with their neighbours?

Oh yes, actually in the years before Oslo, when Israeli settlement was was fairly low key, and, there was much intermingling of the populations even in the West Bank. It was only with Oslo that successive Israeli governments massively supported the settlers invasion with huge subsidies increasing the Israeli population of the occupied territories to 400,000 in a period of a few years. Double the number of settlers allowed in the previous 20 years.

This very agressive settlement plan, which broke both the spirit and the letter of the Oslo accord is largely the cause of the violent Palestinian reaction of the Second Intifada, and was obviously intended to change the "facts on the ground" just in case the threatened peace broke out and Israel's was forced to solidify its borders.

[ 27 March 2006: Message edited by: Cueball ]

eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 27 March 2006 05:49 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post
I can't speak to the issue of racism between Arabs and Jews but I do recall there was a divide between the early arrivals in Israel and the more recent additions from Ethiopia. It would be interesting to hear someone who was more familiar with the subject express an opinion about that divide.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca