babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Afghan public opinion on NATO mission

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Afghan public opinion on NATO mission
TheBabbler
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12147

posted 18 March 2006 07:24 AM      Profile for TheBabbler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it is about time somebody started a thread on Afghanistan. Okay, seriously, this has been noted in another thread, but since 'what Afghan's want' has been a point of contention, it should get it's own thread at least-
quote:
The new WPO poll finds strong support for this new expansion of the peacekeeping operation. Asked, “As you may know, the NATO peacekeeping forces known as ISAF have recently expanded their presence beyond Kabul to several other areas. Do you approve or disapprove of this expansion?” just 18% opposed it while two out of three (66%) favored it.

There also appears to be fairly strong support for further expansion of the peacekeeping operation. Those who said that they were in favor of the recent expansion were asked whether they would favor expansion to more areas. Eighty-nine percent of those asked (58% of the total sample) said they would favor it.

An even larger percentage said that they perceive the ISAF peacekeeping force as effective. Eighty-two percent said they see it as very effective (46%) or somewhat effective (36%). Ten percent said they see it as not very effective and 5% not at all effective.

World Public opinion.org
The questions and methodology are linked to as well.

WorldPublicOpinion.org is affiliated with PIPA at the University of Maryland.

Their findings on Iraqi public opinion, are much different, more in line with what we've seen posted on babble(See here)

So polls are never perfect of course, but if they are accurate they show a great deal of support. I share alot of the concerns other Babbler's have raised, but ultimately I can't support getting out of Afghanistan. Like with my opposition to the occupation of Iraq, apparent public opinion plays a significant role for me here.

So if you think that Canada should get out of Afghanistan do you
1. Think these polls are flawed
2. Think that they are not relevant enough to lend support to Canada staying, or expanding beyond Kabul
3. 1 and 2
4. Other??

[ 18 March 2006: Message edited by: TheBabbler ]

[ 18 March 2006: Message edited by: TheBabbler ]

From: the Babbler: formerly known as the babblerformerlyknownas'larry' | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheBabbler
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12147

posted 18 March 2006 07:52 AM      Profile for TheBabbler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another poll found some seemingly conflicting results:
quote:
AW: While most Afghans (83 percent) expressed favorable views of the U.S., almost one-third (30 percent) of Afghans responded that attacks on U.S. forces can be justified. Among disaffected and socially conservative Afghans more than half (55 percent) could justify these attacks. The work of the U.S. also gets far lower marks than President Karzai, the United Nations, and the Afghan government. How do you explain these apparent discrepancies?

Craig Charney: In Afghanistan the U.S. gets favorable marks from two-thirds of the population—remarkable compared to its standing in most Muslim countries nowadays. The main reason is simple: 87 percent of Afghans approve of the US-led overthrow of the Taliban. The subsequent restoration of peace in most of the country and the beginnings of reconstruction also win praise. While 70 percent say that attacks on the US forces cannot be justified, we think that the 30 percent who do include both social conservatives opposed to the changes America has brought and those who are not hostile to America per se but think such attacks are the only redress available for abuses by U.S. troops in a country where legal institutions are weak and revenge attacks prevalent

An interview about a different poll for ABC news

From: the Babbler: formerly known as the babblerformerlyknownas'larry' | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
billF
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12284

posted 18 March 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for billF     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Dilemma: The Taliban, need I say more. The War Lords, hard hearted business men hiding behind guns instead of laws, like they do in the U.S. and Canada. My main concern: Will we be trapped there? Without fail, whenever another country puts more troops into Afghanistan, the U.S. pulls even more people out. I doubt if Steve Harper will address this. Our government sees our commitment there as revolving around Anti-Aggression treaties and such like, not an obligation to world piece. Being a hillbilly, I feel Canada agreed to back them in a fight, and they’re sneaking away. Perhaps after our turn as coalition leader is done, we should at least reduce our troop levels.

In a coalition situation, we’ve had success by playing good cop, bad cop with the U.S. as the bad cop. This creates a fragmented view of the coalition by the opposition, allowing a divide and conquer scenario. Canada then fires “moral bullets” instead of lead ones.

[ 18 March 2006: Message edited by: billF ]

From: Thunder Bay ON CAN. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca