babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Clinton on Middle East: Arabs aren't all fundies and fanatics...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Clinton on Middle East: Arabs aren't all fundies and fanatics...
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 08 March 2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
No shit, Bill...

quote:
There is a whole Arab world that isn't mentioned in the news that is victimized by terrorists and religious fanatics, says former U.S. president Bill Clinton.

It's also a world where there are many people dedicated to building a lasting peace, Clinton said during a speech in Montreal on Tuesday. Even the recent election of Hamas doesn't mean Palestinians support the violence and terrorism often linked to the extremist group, Clinton said.

Palestinians don't want violence and Shariah law, he said.

"Palestinians elected Hamas because they promised to make the buses run on time," Clinton told about 5,000 people who paid up to $900 to attend the Power Within conference, featuring Clinton and others, including former Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

[ 08 March 2006: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 08 March 2006 08:11 AM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
Side-scroll!
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 08 March 2006 08:13 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
sidescroll fixed.
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 08 March 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Palestinians don't want violence and Shariah law, he said. Bill Clinton

Women should not be dealt a raw deal with some Sharia interpretations. Nor should they be sexual objects for their bosses or anybody for that matter, Mr. President!

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 08 March 2006 07:00 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidra:

Women should not be dealt a raw deal with some Sharia interpretations. Nor should they be sexual objects for their bosses or anybody for that matter, Mr. President!

Clinton is a prick, but at this point the Palestinian people need all the help they can get. Beggars can't be choosers, and regardless of how we may feel about his sexual escapades, the man is still respected in the United States and around the world. His statement is a good thing.

[ 08 March 2006: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
eau
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10058

posted 08 March 2006 07:27 PM      Profile for eau        Edit/Delete Post
This is one of the few threads at the moment about the Middle East.

I wondered if anyone attaches political signficance to the abduction and murders of the private security company workers (50)in Iraq today. When I googled it looks as if it is a Saudi company?

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 08 March 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What are you talking about? There are thousands of threads about the ME on this board?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 08 March 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Nor should they be sexual objects for their bosses or anybody for that matter, Mr. President!

Can an adult woman choose to be a sexual object, if that's what she likes? If she so chooses, who should have the right to determine her sexuality, you or her?

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 08 March 2006 08:18 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are you trying to start a flame war?
sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 08 March 2006 09:39 PM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Are you trying to start a flame war? CMOT Dibbler

So it looks to me, though I simply mused about Clinton's high moral horse regarding respect, equality and dignity for women and I refuse to be biased by his 1 inch or 1 mile left-leaning, compared to Republicans.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 08 March 2006 09:55 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

So it looks to me, though I simply mused about Clinton's high moral horse regarding respect, equality and dignity for women and I refuse to be biased by his 1 inch or 1 mile left-leaning, compared to Republicans.

I wasn't accusing you of trying to start a flame war. I was accsing S1m0n.

[ 08 March 2006: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 08 March 2006 10:06 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by S1m0n:
Can an adult woman choose to be a sexual object, if that's what she likes? If she so chooses, who should have the right to determine her sexuality, you or her?

People will make their own choices, but (not to contribute to the diversion) the issue WRT Clinton and Lewinsky is that Lewinsky being an intern meant Clinton was in a position of power over her, and that's a legitimate cause for concern.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 March 2006 04:35 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When Bill Clinton has to state the blindingly obvious (especially given his embarassingly pro-Israeli comments a few years ago), you know how far the political scene in the USA (and in Canada, too, although to what extent I'm not sure) has shifted to a rather dangerous level of acceptance of anti-Arab, anti-Middle-East racism.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 09 March 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CMOT Dibbler,

I agreed with you that S1mOn appears to be starting a flame war.

sidra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11490

posted 09 March 2006 07:19 PM      Profile for sidra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well put, DrConway !
S1m0n
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11427

posted 09 March 2006 07:54 PM      Profile for S1m0n        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I agreed with you that S1mOn appears to be starting a flame war.

You'd be mistaken. I've never started or indeed participated in a flame war. I can more than hold my own in any argument based on fact or reason, but when such becomes an insult-fest, any advantage I might hold is lost. If you're good at argument, flaming is poor strategy.

However, in a previous post Sidra appeared to be uttering pronouncements about how other adults should conduct their sex lives, so I asked her to clarify if that's what she really meant.

If Sidra cannot restrain herself from responding to this question with insults--which appears to be the import of her response, above--then the responsibility for any breach of decorum is surely hers, not mine.

[ 09 March 2006: Message edited by: S1m0n ]

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 09 March 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Americans are not all sex-maniacs and war-mongerers.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 09 March 2006 08:03 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes. Exactly.

The way the discourse is framed speaks volumes. Just as long as we are all talking about whether or not Arabs and Muslims are violent we are on the right page.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 09 March 2006 08:10 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"Palestinians elected Hamas because they promised to make the buses run on time," Clinton told about 5,000 people who paid up to $900 to attend the Power Within conference, featuring Clinton and others, including former Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

What if I said Israelis elected Likud because "they promised to make the buses run on time?"

Good lord.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca