babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » What I Heard about Iraq; and What I Heard about Iraq in 2005

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What I Heard about Iraq; and What I Heard about Iraq in 2005
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 February 2006 12:07 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wasn't sure where to post these links, but ended up rejecting "Culture," because the fact that they're brilliant pieces of writing is not finally the point.

But they seemed to strike a chord on other threads, so I thought they deserved their own. Readable without subscription on the London Review of Books website.

What I Heard about Iraq.

What I Heard about Iraq in 2005.

The LRB has had some of the best writing about the Iraq war, for my money, but this is among the best of the best.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 25 February 2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is excellent writing, though long. It says the first one was published as a book. I wonder if he footnoted it; there were some things in the new one that I definietly had not heard about.

Since there does not seem to be another Iraq thread, I will post this article by Mark Levine here.

quote:
...Understanding this dynamic is vital to appreciating the rationales behind a set of US policies in Iraq that at almost every turn have seemed to be characterized by strategic shortsightedness and sometimes outright incompetence. Such criticisms make sense only if we assume that the US has actually sought to create a vibrant, democratic Iraq. If we assume that its true goals have been less philanthropic--for example, securing a long term if reduced military presence in the country and a strong degree of influence in the disposition of its oil resources--then the chaos, corruption, and violence that have plagued the country for the last three years make more sense.

As a senior intelligence aid to former Coalition Provisional Authority Administrator Paul Bremer explained to a colleague of mine when asked about why American forces failed to rebuild in years what it took Hussein to do in months after the first Gulf War, “There's an old Arab proverb: If you starve a dog he'll follow you anywhere.”

In other words, why bother fixing a country when your strategy is to break the will of its people so they accept a post-occupation system, tailored to American interests, that they would otherwise not tolerate?...

Edit: Oops, the other threads are in News.

[ 25 February 2006: Message edited by: Contrarian ]

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca